The simFlight Network Forums

FSX Failures: Engine Cylinder Fail Offset

In the "failures" options under the aircraft drop-down in the sim, Pete, you can pick individual cylinders in the engine to fail (as well as, obviously, entire engines, oil supplies, fuel pumps and wotnot...)

Cheers,

Ian P.

In the "failures" options under the aircraft drop-down in the sim, Pete, you can pick individual cylinders in the engine to fail (as well as, obviously, entire engines, oil supplies, fuel pumps and wotnot...)

This is new to FSX?

I have no idea how that manifests itself inside FSX. The only engine failure values SimConnect offers are, on a per-engine basis, a GENERAL ENG DAMAGE PERCENT value and GENERAL ENG FAILED boolean indicator. There are of course cylinder head temperatures, again per engine. Oil pressures and fuel pressures. I can get or have already got all these.

Regards

Pete

There seem to be a lot more options available to fail "inside the sim" using the menu drop down than you seem to be able to control using Simconnect, as you note, or you can assign to keystrokes (which seems to be a half way house between what simconnect can control and the huge array of options inside the sim). The "failures" pages inside the sim also seem specific to the aircraft you are flying - comparing the Beaver which I looked in last night (masses of failure options including each individual engine cylinder), and the Bell 206 which I have open now (only a few, very little on the engine), it looks like the options you can assign to keystrokes or can fail through simconnect are only those that are "generic" to all aircraft.

I do note that you can't fail the ATR in the helicopters. That's a pity, albeit an off-topic one.

Cheers.

Ian P.

it looks like the options you can assign to keystrokes or can fail through simconnect are only those that are "generic" to all aircraft.

I suspect this is an area Microsoft will have to open up considerably for ESP.

I do note that you can't fail the ATR in the helicopters. That's a pity, albeit an off-topic one.

I don't even know what an ATR is!

Regards

Pete

Sorry - Anti-Torque Rotor (tail rotor).

Losing it when flying in the cruise is not a major disaster. Losing it at low speed makes you spin rather rapidly in the opposite direction than the main rotor spins and results in a collection of broken helicopter parts. Landing without an ATR is one of rotary wing aviation's great challenges.

Anyway, back to the original topic, I do wonder how much of the internal failure options are designed to be used in an "instructor control" way, in either shared cockpit multiplayer or through a directly connected instructor panel as has been done in the past? It would definately be of use to ESP-based applications, but not so much to your average offline FS user right now, I suspect.

Cheers,

Ian P.

I do wonder how much of the internal failure options are designed to be used in an "instructor control" way, in either shared cockpit multiplayer or through a directly connected instructor panel as has been done in the past? It would definately be of use to ESP-based applications, but not so much to your average offline FS user right now, I suspect.

Yes. This is really an area I know little about I'm afraid.

Incidentally, and off-topic too, it is "definitely" not "definately". You might want to correct your Explorer or Firefox spellchecker? ;-)

Regards

Pete

Pete and Ian,

Thank you both for your comments. :D

I´m curious if it´s possible to track down the FSX menu failures with FSInterrrogate or something else.

I´ve read the FSUIPC FS9 SDK and noticed that the FS2000 ENGINE offsets for GAUGES (described down the SDK DOC) have some "space" (3 bytes I think) between other offsets that follows them. Is it possible that this "void" keeps this new data? Or maybe some other area?

Sorry if I´ve said something stupid or completely ilogical, I´m not a programmer (just an amateur who likes to deal with some code to have fun).

I hope there´s a way to use these data in the future, because I´m willing to use them on my "program". :-)

BTW, how can I use sets of keys to set this cylinder failure? I´ve found nothing on the key assignments menu (on FSX, Controls, Assignments) who deals with cylinders. Only complete engine failure. Ian, do you mean setting up keys with FSUIPC using the MENU system? Please clarify for me! :-)

Thanks again for your attention!

Regards,

Roger

I´m curious if it´s possible to track down the FSX menu failures with FSInterrrogate or something else.

Not with FSINterrogate because that can only see the data FSUIPC is getting, and I've listed all that for you in the documentation.

Not since FS98 days has the FSUIPC offset list actually been just a set of addresses in a memory block. Some of it was in FS2000, much less in FS2002, almost none in FS2004, and most certainly none at all in FSX.

All the stuff in the FSUIPC4 offsets, bar a couple of little hacks, is from SimConnect Variables. I can get more of those than listed, if requested, but your failures don't appear.

BTW, how can I use sets of keys to set this cylinder failure?

If there's no key Event for it listed (eg in my FSX controls list, see your FSX Modules folder), then it's a Menu-only facility. In which case you can only do it via the menus.

Regards

Pete

Incidentally, and off-topic too, it is "definitely" not "definately". You might want to correct your Explorer or Firefox spellchecker? ;-)

That's just one word I always get wrong! :roll:

I do know better as well. My fingers just don't listen to my brain... :lol:

Cheers,

Ian P.