The simFlight Network Forums

WideFS Purchase Confusion

I am a registered user of both FSUIPC 3.8 and WIDEFS6 for FS2004.

I now wish to purchase FSUIPC 4.26 and WIDEFS7 for FSX. The FSUIPC4 description now says that WIDEFS7 is now incorperated into FSUIPC4 but uses Wideclient.exe from WIDEFS 6.75. Do I then just need to purchase FSUIPC 4.26 (which now includes WIDEFS7) and just use the Wideclient.exe from the FS2004 version I have registered as this now seems to be the same ?

The Simmarket page indicates you still have to purchase both FSUIPC4.26 AND WIDEFS 6.75 ??

Glen Coyne

The FSUIPC4 description now says that WIDEFS7 is now incorperated into FSUIPC4 but uses Wideclient.exe from WIDEFS 6.75.

The WideServer code is built into FSUIPC4, rather than being a separate DLL, that is all. There's no other difference. It just makes it more efficient. I would have done this with WideFS6 and FSUIPC3 if ever I had to rewrite either -- WideServer actually preceded FSUIPC development by about 2 years and the need / opportunity to rewrite everything didn't arise until FSX.

Do I then just need to purchase FSUIPC 4.26 (which now includes WIDEFS7) and just use the Wideclient.exe from the FS2004 version I have registered as this now seems to be the same ?

You still need to pay for and register WideFS7 so that you can enter your Key and enable it. It is no different to the previous version in that respect. If you recall, you entered the WideFS6 registration into FSUIPC3.

The Simmarket page indicates you still have to purchase both FSUIPC4.26 AND WIDEFS 6.75 ??

No it doesn't. You purchase FSUIPC4 and WideFS7. You enter both keys, and both are enabled. WideClient stays the same, that's all -- you don't have to change your Client PCs. There are lots of folks using both FSX and FS9, so it would make it really messy having to keep interchanging WideClients according to which FS you were running, don't you think? Especially when there's absolutely no need!

I'm not aware of anyone else coming here so confused as you. How did this arise? These products have been available in this form now for over 18 months. Maybe you should review the documentation which comes with them and explains things, or even look at the Announcements in this Forum? Try, for instance, the "FSUIPC4 and WIDEFS7 AVAILABILITY" section in the Announcement entitled FSUIPC4 and WideFS7 ready for FSX: IMPORTANT NOTES!

Regards

Pete

Pete,

I'm not aware of anyone else coming here so confused as you. How did this arise?

Just read it wrong, I have since downloaded FSUIPC4 and read the installation instructions, realise I should have done that in the first place ....sorry :oops:

Glen

I have since downloaded FSUIPC4 and read the installation instructions, realise I should have done that in the first place ....sorry

No problem, just concerned as to how the confusion arose. Glad it is clear now, and little threads like this no doubt help others.

Regards

Pete