The simFlight Network Forums

Programs Not working with New FSUIPC

Landclass Assistant, LWM Draw4, just about anything that wants a link is not working....

Not working with a registered copy of FSUIPC?

If you are talking about an unregistered copy, then I'm not surprised. I've never heard of any of those and no one has asked me for any keys for them.

Regards,

Pete

Ok sorry if this sounds rude and please corect me if i am wrong but

Unless i dont registered copy of FSUIPC for what the $20 Then all the addon software i have will not basicly work so meaning i have really no chose but to buy FSUIPC,, unless company but the rights of you and give us all the code for there product???? is that correct sir??? again sorry if i got it wrong but thats what it looks like to me.

If the person making the program takes the trouble to ask Pete for a key and sends out an update for their program it will work.

If the program maintainer can't be bothered you're out of luck.

And is $20 for the years of commitment Pete has shown to the community really so much?

Or do you think Pete has unlimited funding to spend on supporting our hobby indefinitely?

Don't get me wrong, I think Pete has done alot for the FS Communityand deserves to make something for his efforts. The sad reality is that some companies take advantage of the efforts of other people and leave everyone hanging out to dry. Look at "Arrestor Cables", great Freeware at one time, now packaged commercially by Abacus in Flight Deck 3. (Of Course it will not work without FSUIPC). It is too bad that alot of the programmers of the freeware apps will just probably say "forget it". If there had been a way to just lock out commercial software from accessing FSUIPC it might have been interesting to see how fast the companies would have come to "Royalty Aggreements" with Pete.

Again, Pete, thank you for what you have brought to the community, and good luck, you deserve it.

Unless i dont registered copy of FSUIPC for what the $20 Then all the addon software i have will not basicly work so meaning i have really no chose but to buy FSUIPC,, unless company but the rights of you and give us all the code for there product???? is that correct sir???

Not quite correct, no. Access to FSUIPC by applications is indeed by agreement with myself in this version. I don't see why commercial companies and shareware authors should make money from selling their programs which depend upon FSUIPC whilst I have to support them and develop the interface to FS for free. That represents by far the most time I spend on the program, and it is a full time job and has been for four years. The agreements I reach are not expensive for them, and have to be agreed as fair on both sides. It really is not a "big deal".

For applications which are either free, or not earning any money because they are not maintained or developed or supported any more, I provide free access keys.

Naturally, if FSUIPC could determine which applications you pay for and which you don't, it could give free access to the free ones automatically, but this is way beyond any known technology today . So, they all need access keys -- unless the use registers his copy of FSUIPC, which gives him a bypass for this as a sort of bonus (though he is really paying for the additional user facilities in FSUIPC).

I am allocating keys to free programs as I am asked. For those disowned neglected programs I can publish the keys, here and in later editions of my documentation. But I cannot make these keys without requests for those programs to be accredited, accompanied by certain items of information which I use to make the keys.

Think of it another way: it is now a few days after the official publication date of FS2004. If I had not made FSUIPC work on FS2004, how many of those programs would already be working on FS2004 in any case? After a new release of FS there is always a period of "catching up" for the add-on market. Please do not be quite so impatient. Even if you did register your copy of FSUIPC, there is no guarantee that the add-ons you wish to use wil run correctly on FS2004 in any case. Not yet. They may need me to do more work inside FSUIPC to find more of the variables, or they may use aspects of FS which are nothing to do with FSUIPC but which also change from version to version. FS2004 versions will no doubt appear in good time.

Regards,

Pete

If the person making the program takes the trouble to ask Pete for a key and sends out an update for their program it will work.

As far as the access key is concerned, it doesn't have to be built into the program so they don't even need to update the program -- assuming it needs no update anyway for FS2004.

Keys can be published for the user to enter manually into FSUIPC. The program name and key so entered get remembered in the FSUIPC.KEY file.

This is what we've done with Squawkbox 2.3, which is no longer maintained or developed. I will publish lists of the free access keys as this trend develops.

In version 3.03 of FSUIPC I've extended this method of application registration to GAUges and add-in DLLs too -- previously there was no alternative but for them to be changed.

Regards,

Pete