The simFlight Network Forums

Trim problems with PFC Cirrus II console / yoke

Not sure if I should post this here but anyway someone may have some suggestions.

The Cirrus II console I have has the mooney Yoke and it's left rocker buttons should make trim move in FSX acft but is won't for some reason, something must be wrong with a setting as I am quite sure it did would before in FSX

I have checked from with FSX, the PFC drop down menu that the settings are set right.

e.g Left up and left down rocker buttons are set to operate trim.

Do I have to set something in the Trims/Steering Pages?

Note, my CIrrus II, doesn't have a seperate trim wheel on the console itself.

I'm running FSUIPC version 4.40 and PFC version 4.317

TIA

Phil

The Cirrus II console I have has the mooney Yoke and it's left rocker buttons should make trim move in FSX acft but is won't for some reason, something must be wrong with a setting as I am quite sure it did would before in FSX

There's no difference between FS9 and FSX in that area.

I have checked from with FSX, the PFC drop down menu that the settings are set right.

And do the buttons actually work -- i.e. are they detected, shown in the "Test" tab when operated? And if the are shown okay, check that they are not shown as being assigned in FSUIPC. All buttons and switches can optionally be programmed in FSUIPC instead, and this takes precedence.

Do I have to set something in the Trims/Steering Pages?

No. That is for calibrating trim wheels and steering tillers -- axes, not buttons. You could check that tab, make sure they are all disabled.

But do also check the trim sensitivity setting, on the Console page. Maybe you have set that very low, or too high? It defaults to 256, which is about right.

Version 4.40 of FSUIPC is no longer supported. The minimum current version is 4.50.

Regards

Pete

There's no difference between FS9 and FSX in that area.

And do the buttons actually work -- i.e. are they detected, shown in the "Test" tab when operated? And if the are shown okay, check that they are not shown as being assigned in FSUIPC. All buttons and switches can optionally be programmed in FSUIPC instead, and this takes precedence.

"yes they do"

No. That is for calibrating trim wheels and steering tillers -- axes, not buttons. You could check that tab, make sure they are all disabled.

"Yes it is disabled"

But do also check the trim sensitivity setting, on the Console page. Maybe you have set that very low, or too high? It defaults to 256, which is about right.

Version 4.40 of FSUIPC is no longer supported. The minimum current version is 4.50.

updated today to V4.50, thanks for pointing that out

To sum up, now trim does work in 747 and 737-800 defaults and a couple of afct add ons I have, but not in the default airbus which is strange. When I say works, by pressing the left rocker buttons move the trim wheel inside the cockpit as ity should. Cheers Phil

Regards

Pete

I couldn't esily find what you are trying to say in the above mishmash. I've extracted this bit, though:

To sum up, now trim does work in 747 and 737-800 defaults and a couple of afct add ons I have, but not in the default airbus which is strange. When I say works, by pressing the left rocker buttons move the trim wheel inside the cockpit as ity should.

If the buttons work, they work. If you Airbus doesn't work, there's something set in FS which is preventing it, or, more likely perhaps, considering the airbus is a fly-by-Wire aircraft, you have it in a mode where direct trimming by hand is not allowed.

Since the PFC controls are only doing the same sort of thing as you would do by using the keyboard -- i.e. incrementing or decrementing the trim value (the elevator trim is 1 and 7 on the number Pad) -- why not check that method too?

Regards

Pete

HI Pete and thanks again for reply and suggestions.

It appears it was the pfc.dll module file I had installed was the problem.

And yes the Airbus default afct must have some setting to make trim wheel move, as it doesn't even move with keyboard down or up arrows.

A question for others who understand the aircraft CFG files better than I, although could just be a setting with FSX for it.

I went back to you site and downloaded the one dated 25Jul 07 V4.30 and that has solved the problem, although not sure why but if I try and assign functions to my avionics buttons, the ones on the bottom of the PFC avionics stack called reset, start etc, the PFC will lock up and FSX restarts. Hmm, new one on me.

I wonder come to think of, as they is an auto installer if it's overiding fsuipc.dll, although it doesn't appear to from the installer messages.

Cheers

Phil

It appears it was the pfc.dll module file I had installed was the problem.

Hmm. Are you saying there's a difference in how the trim rocker works between 4.317 and an older one, with no other changes to the INI file or to the FSUIPC version? This is the problem where the trim rocker on the yoke does nothing, even with default aircraft?

You do realise that 4.317 was a short-lived interim update, soon replaced, don't you? Could you check using the current version -- 4.34 -- please, and let me know? I need to get this straight. I have no other reports of any problem with that, and it is pretty fundamental.

And yes the Airbus default afct must have some setting to make trim wheel move, as it doesn't even move with keyboard down or up arrows.

Right . So how do you trim it normally?

I went back to you site and downloaded the one dated 25Jul 07 V4.30 and that has solved the problem

I assume you mean the Schiratti site (it isn't mine). I have noticed that its copy of my PFC driver is out of date. I will have to get that changed to 4.34 -- it has a serious bug which crashes FSX has been found in that, fixed in 4.34 here. I did supply 4.34 to Mr. Schiratti a while ago but it must have been mislaid. I'll get it changed soonest.

although not sure why but if I try and assign functions to my avionics buttons, the ones on the bottom of the PFC avionics stack called reset, start etc, the PFC will lock up and FSX restarts. Hmm, new one on me.

That's the same crash already reported a couple of times -- it is related to the listing of FS controls, which it gets from FSUIPC. It is fixed in the current update, which is the one which should be used.

I wonder come to think of, as they is an auto installer if it's overiding fsuipc.dll, although it doesn't appear to from the installer messages.

Sorry, what Installer? Are you talking about the PFC site now? Please do make sure you are using FSUIPC 4.50 or later.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete, yes sorry Installer was from PFC site here.

http://www.flypfc.com/drivers.html As it says updated March 2nd, one would assume it contains FSUIPC version 4.50, anyway when you run it, it doesn't overrite the version of FSUIPC installed already.

So yes FSUIPC V4.50 is installed.

It was once I ran this installer, I could get the trim to work in so far tested afct I have except Airbus as mentioned earlier, via left yoke rocker buttons.

But under avionics buttons, it has not set any commands for those buttons I mentioned and I've tried 3 times now to assign them, but it locks up FSX as I have said.

The text file PFCFSX, I assume is a log file.

Would it help you if I pasted here what it says although you would need to tell me which section, as text in log file is quite long.

By the way, on another point, not sure if you've got a copy of Windows 7 beta or not, but both your Modules work under Win 7 32 and 64bit.

Thanks again

Phil

Would it help you if I pasted here what it says although you would need to tell me which section, as text in log file is quite long.

No data from old versions is any use to me, sorry. Please download version 4.34 of PFCFSX, from the Updates announcement above, and try that as I asked.

I cannot fix old versions, only the current one! If 4.34 doesn't fix the issue (other than with the Airbus, which is out of my hands evidently) then I'll work out what information I then need from you.

By the way, on another point, not sure if you've got a copy of Windows 7 beta or not, but both your Modules work under Win 7 32 and 64bit.

Yes, I am using win7 64-bit dual booting with Vista 64. Thank you.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete, as usual your spot on.

Using that PFC.dll from your latest versions, has solved the lock up issue when I try to asign functions to the Avionics stack buttons as mentioned.

I've also workout trim issue with Default Airbus.

If one chooses the viewMain panel from right click within FSX window, it will show the trim wheels which do move with left rocker buttons on the Mooney Yoke I have, but if one slects from the top menu View, then instrument panel, throttle panel, the trim wheels do not move. Why, ask MS I guess, as this view shows trim wheels moving with other afct.

I know this is a seprate thing, but I will ask, Have you ever noticed in default or add on afct, that the taxi light switch does nothing, either from Cirrus II console or using ones mouse to click switch on?

Cheers Pete

Phil

Not all aircraft have taxi lights modelled in them, its as simple or lazy as that I'm afraid. The deafult FSX 737 is one prime example of this, there is a switch which moves with mouse clicks and keyboard short cuts if I remember correctly but no working light modelled on the exterior.

If one chooses the viewMain panel from right click within FSX window, it will show the trim wheels which do move with left rocker buttons on the Mooney Yoke I have, but if one slects from the top menu View, then instrument panel, throttle panel, the trim wheels do not move. Why, ask MS I guess, as this view shows trim wheels moving with other afct.

Aha! so the trimming is actually working, it is only the graphics which have a bug. I don't suppose many folks notice this -- when flying you trim the aircraft for correct trimmed flight, you don't tend to do it whilst watching the wheel move up and down! ;-)

I know this is a seprate thing, but I will ask, Have you ever noticed in default or add on afct, that the taxi light switch does nothing, either from Cirrus II console or using ones mouse to click switch on?

It varies. A lot of panels have decorative switches with no functions other than to make them look better. I certainly have some add-on aircraft with working taxi lights.

Regards

Pete