The simFlight Network Forums

Entering in Key

When trying to enter key area is 'greyed out', saying I have to run as administrator, but I am running as an adminsitrator though my name is not Administrator. I then Run As, and see myself as User (who is an administrator), but it is still greyed out. I note that in the pull down menu there is also "Administrator", but I don't have this in my user accounts. In any case I try to run as "Administrator" and password doesn't work. I tried changing my name to Adaministrator but says one already exists - yet it is not in my user accounts - this is driving me crazy.

Is there any way around this. I thought about creating a new account Admin, setting it as administrator, and then Run As - but then FSX doesnt have FSUIPC as a module anymore. I was wondering if I ran it this way, reinstalled FSUIPC under Admin, entered the key, then reran as myself "User" that might work?

Adam

Adam

Are we talking about Vista?

Have you tried with UAC and Windows Defender and your AV software temporarily disabled?

A lot of issues with getting software to run in Vista is making sure that you have set the correct permissions and sharing for your files and folders.

Just a couple of points:

1. What permissions do you have set the whole FSX folder (or even the Program Files (X86) wrt to yourself. Make sure that you are the owner of the folder(s) (incl any sub-folder(s)) and have full access. (Google Vista permissions to see what I mean.)

2. Just check that you have allowed full sharing on these folders and sub-folders. (Google sharing)

Disabling UAC and running as administrator should clear 1. but you never know with Vista.

These may not apply to your problem but they are easy to try until PeteD returns!!

regards

PeterH

When trying to enter key area is 'greyed out', saying I have to run as administrator, but I am running as an adminsitrator though my name is not Administrator. I then Run As, and see myself as User (who is an administrator), but it is still greyed out. I note that in the pull down menu there is also "Administrator", but I don't have this in my user accounts. In any case I try to run as "Administrator" and password doesn't work. I tried changing my name to Adaministrator but says one already exists - yet it is not in my user accounts - this is driving me crazy.

It is nothing to do with accounts. Just right-click on the FS icon, select Run As Administrator (sometimes as one line, like that, sometimes as "Run As" then select Administrator, depending on version of Windows). Don't mess with account names.

Pete

Thanks, I'm running Windows XP. Actually I have tried Run As Adminstrator, but then asks for password. My computer is new, and was already set up with me as the Computer Adminstrator though my name is User. Where do I get the password for Administrator if I don't even see it under User Accounts? There is no-one called Adminstrator and no password. I am the closest thing to administrator, and have all the abilities to create and manage user accounts but there is no-one called Adminstor.

Adam

Thanks, I'm running Windows XP.

Strange. I've never heard of any problem, ever, with registering on XP. As far as I am aware, FS does not need Administrator privileges to update the registry. It certainly doesn't on my systems. Maybe it is a function of one of the versions of XP I've never seen?

Actually I have tried Run As Adminstrator, but then asks for password. My computer is new, and was already set up with me as the Computer Adminstrator though my name is User.

Hmm. I never get asked for a password, but then I installed XP myself and didn't set a password. It sounds as if whoever set up your computer installed things with a password.

Where do I get the password for Administrator if I don't even see it under User Accounts? There is no-one called Adminstrator and no password. I am the closest thing to administrator, and have all the abilities to create and manage user accounts but there is no-one called Adminstor.

No one has to be called "Administrator". That is not a person's name, just a privilege level. If you are genuinely the administrator for your PC and can create and delete accounts without using a password, how is it you cannot run a program as administrator without a password? Won't it accept nothing as password (i.e. simply press Enter)?

If the folks who set up your system set it with things locked by password you may need to ask them what passwords they used.

Regards

Pete

If you are still having difficulty Registering, please try the new FSUIPC installer I've made:

http://fsuipc.simflight.com/beta/Install_FSUIPC3922.zip

This will install FSUIPC version 3.922 plus the set of (as yet unmodified) 3.92 documents, and finish off by offering you the option to Register. This should overcome any "administrator" problems as Installers automatically have sufficient privileges.

Let me know how you get on, please. The next major release will be made this way and will include the document installations in this way.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Just used your installer for FSUIPC 3.922 and found it worked fine.

I did have a look at the registry entries it was looking for FS9 but they mostly was for 32bit.

Installer for FSUIPC.DLL version 3.922

Looking in registry for FS9.1 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.1

Parameter"EXE Path"

Not there, so looking in:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.1

Parameter"EXE Path"

... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for FS9 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0

Parameter"EXE Path"

Looking in registry for FS8 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\8.0

Parameter"EXE Path"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\8.0

Parameter"EXE Path"

... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for FS7 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\7.0

Parameter"path"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\7.0

Parameter"path"

... NOT found! ...

Looking in registry for FS6.1 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\6.1

Parameter"InstallDir"

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\6.1

Parameter"InstallDir"

... NOT found! ...

===========================================================

INSTALLATION FOR FS9:

EXE Path="D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9"

Checking if there's already a version of FSUIPC installed in:

D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Modules\FSUIPC.DLL

... Version 3.922 found.

Okay -- installed FSUIPC into "D:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\Modules\FSUIPC.DLL"

Now installing additional files into the Modules folder:

Installed "FSUIPC User Guide.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC for Advanced Users.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC History.pdf" okay

Installed "List of FS2004 controls.pdf" okay

Installed "GlobalSign Root.exe" okay

Installed "FSUIPC Lua Library.pdf" okay

Installed "FSUIPC Lua Plug-Ins.pdf" okay

Installed "Lua License.pdf" okay

Installed "Example LUA plugins.zip" okay

FSUIPC.DLL installed and signature checked out okay!

Deleted GlobalSign Root fix programno longer relevant

As I am on 64bit FS9 registry entry is at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0

But Like I say I had no problem with the installer detecting FS9, it found and installed just fine.

Regards

Jannie

Just used your installer for FSUIPC 3.922 and found it worked fine.

Good.

I did have a look at the registry entries it was looking for FS9 but they mostly was for 32bit.

Erthere's only one active Registry at a time. If you look at the Registry via Regedit, or the Installer looks at the Registry, the entry there for FS9 must be for an FS9 installed on that operating system. Registries aren't portable, you can't move a Registry from one system to another!

As I am on 64bit FS9 registery entry is at

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0

Well, that might be another route, but since FS9 is a 32-bit program (as is FSX), and since all programs looking to add to it will also likely be 32-bit, they are all going to look for it using the standard 32-bit references. I'm not sure why there's another in "Wow6432Node", but i suspect that's part of the Aliassing Vista and Win7 use to get over the 'Program Files' protection for non-Vista aware programs like FS9.

But Like I say I had no problem with the installer detecting FS9, it found and installed just fine.

So why the reference to the Registry? Sorry, I'm a little confused now by your report. Can you clarify, please?

Regards

Pete

Okayactually I just experimented with installing FS9 onto my otherwise FSX-dedicated W7 64-bit system, to see what was going on.

When you say:

As I am on 64bit FS9 registry entry is at

this is perfectly correct, but all of the "Wow" stuff is to do with ongoing compatibility.

When the FSUIPC Installer does this:

Looking in registry for FS9 install path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator\9.0

Parameter"EXE Path"

it does find it, in that "Wow" place, because Vista and Win7 map it correctly.

A bit of Googling and I found this partial explanation: "WOW stands for "Windows on Windows". In the 32-bit NT days, Windows used WOW to support 16-bit software through a process of "thunking" in which an application's 16-bit calls were translated to talk to 32-bit DLLs". I think Vista and Win7 64 are using similar mechanisms for 32-bit compatibility. But they still have to auto-translate references to the 32-bit entries otherwise they have no true compatibility -- things will fail to run correctly all over the place. ;-)

Regards

Pete