The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC and the fsx.cfg

Pete

Just a question. When I add a an updated FSUIPC4.dll (latest 4.456) to the modules folder, on opening FSX I am asked to "trust" FSUIPC4 and I get an entry added to the "trusted" section of the fsx.cfg file.

Over time quite a few entries for FSUIPC4.dll are added to the cfg file. I now have 6 in mine, so my questions are:

1) Can we safely remove the "old" entries and just leave the latest?

2) Does it really matter if they are left in the cfg file?

(This is an example of the entry I am talking about: C:\...\Microsoft Flight Simulator X\Modules\FSUIPC4.dll.rhowrturiobwllnuruczukcincqlinlibhtniuac=1)

Obviously if you rebuild the cfg file only there is only one entry for FSUIPC4.

Thanks

PeterH

Pete

Just a question. When I add a an updated FSUIPC4.dll (latest 4.456) to the modules folder, on opening FSX I am asked to "trust" FSUIPC4

Yes -- that would only occur because you've not opted to add the publisher (Simflight) to the Windows "trusted publishers" list. Once you do this you'll never get the prompt again. Well, not "never", but till the signature expires in a few years and has to be renewed.

... and I get an entry added to the "trusted" section of the fsx.cfg file.

Yes. I'm not sure whether that still happens or not with trusted publishers. I've not really looked.

Over time quite a few entries for FSUIPC4.dll are added to the cfg file. I now have 6 in mine

Only 6?

1) Can we safely remove the "old" entries and just leave the latest?

You can do. How do you know which is the latest? You could delete every entry in there in any case -- FS will simply ask for them again next time you run it.

2) Does it really matter if they are left in the cfg file?

No, not at all. The file is only read the once. No performance hit!

Regards

Pete

The latest entry will be the one nearest the end of the 'trusted' list.

Not sure what may have happened to the FSUIPC4 license but after every install of an update

I still get asked the "Run?" question and the "Trusted" question.

I always answer "Yes" and remove the old FSUIPC entries from my FSX cfg file.

This could have something to do with the fact that I run different configurations of

FSX cfg by creating renamed fsx.exe file ( fsx_propliner.exe, fsx_military.exe, fsx_test.exe, etc )

paul

Not sure what may have happened to the FSUIPC4 license but after every install of an update

I still get asked the "Run?" question and the "Trusted" question.

If the publisher details are added to the Trusted list in Windows (not in FSX.CFG) then you never again get that prompt. The publishers are listed in one of Internet Explorer's menus -- there's a "trusted" list and an "untrusted" list there.

In XP and, I think, earlier versions of Vista, there was a drop down choice in the prompt you get from FSX where you could get the trusted status recorded. It seems to have disappeared lately. Someone said you could do it by right-clicking on the DLL, and selecting the security options. I've not tried that yet.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete

If the publisher details are added to the Trusted list in Windows (not in FSX.CFG) then you never again get that prompt. The publishers are listed in one of Internet Explorer's menus -- there's a "trusted" list and an "untrusted" list there.

In the Internet Explorer's security tab there is a choice for "trusted" sites (and untrusted) but what would you put in the trusted site to cover FSUIPC4.dll? I couldn't find one for trusted publishers. Where would we find the publisher's name?

In Vista interestingly if you right click the FSUIPC4.dll Properties and under "Digital Signatures" you get Simflight GmbH as the name of the signer, so if we added http://www.simflight.com to the "trusted" site in IE would that do it?

Under the "Security" tab I had already set up full permissions, ownership, etc for FSUIPC4.dll, but you still get the request for trusted status when you open FSX after you have changed the FSUIPC4.dll file (for an update, etc). So I wonder what you have to set in that security tab to stop the message appearing.

You also get this with new planes (its usually the .gau file) and it can be a real pain when you have 20 gauges like in some of the Eaglesoft planes. (yes with Vista SP2 that drop down choice for trusted status seems to have disappeared). I am going to add http://www.eaglesoft.com to my trusted sites and see what that does.

I will have to some more research into this as it should be easy to "fix" it, as I don't fancy setting the security options for every individual gauge I have in my virtual hangar :D .

Thanks again for the support.

Regards

PeterH

EDIT Ah! I see how to do it in XP using the local group settings and including dll and gau as "trusted" extensions. However, in Vista it looks like you can't do it in Vista HP as there doesn't seem to be a way of editing the group policy to include dll and gau files. there is a hack on the Acrronis site but I'm too chicken to test it out. :D

In the Internet Explorer's security tab there is a choice for "trusted" sites (and untrusted) but what would you put in the trusted site to cover FSUIPC4.dll? I couldn't find one for trusted publishers.

In my Internet Explorer 7 on XP it's in the Tools-Internet Options-Contents-Publishers tab. In Win 7 it's the same, so I must assume it's pretty similar in Vista.

Where would we find the publisher's name?

Right click on the DLL, select Properties-Digital Signatures. You can select the signature, then Details-View-Install.

In Vista interestingly if you right click the FSUIPC4.dll Properties and under "Digital Signatures" you get Simflight GmbH as the name of the signer

It's the same in XP.

so if we added http://www.simflight.com to the "trusted" site in IE would that do it?

Not a site. A publisher. But I don't think you just add the details yourself -- you have to use the signature, which contains athe certificate.

Under the "Security" tab I had already set up full permissions, ownership, etc for FSUIPC4.dll, but you still get the request for trusted status when you open FSX after you have changed the FSUIPC4.dll file (for an update, etc). So I wonder what you have to set in that security tab to stop the message appearing.

The "security" stuff was something I didn't know about -- someone else reported this:

right clik on Fsuipc4.DLL and select "security" -> instal the certificate in "approuved certificate folder"

but i think that must have been a mistake now that I've tried. I think he used the Digital Signature route I mentioned above. Sorry for the misdirection.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete

Thanks for the reply.

In my Vista 64 install you are already set as a "trusted publisher" in Vista\Internet Options\Publishers . . .

Eaglesoft are also there but if I load one of their new planes, I know that I will be asked by FSX to "trust" the gauges in the plane.

There must be another setting somewhere that I haven't found.

I shall keep digging and report back if I find something.

Thanks for your help

Regards

PeterH

In my Vista 64 install you are already set as a "trusted publisher" in Vista\Internet Options\Publishers . . .

If it says "Peter L. Dowson" then that's for my signature from GlobalSign which expired in August. None of the main issuing authorities will now issue signatures to private individuals, only registered companies. I think it was an edict from Microsoft, to tighten up security.

So SimFlight kindly stepped in and did the business, which is why the signature is now in SimFlight's name. It's been that way since versions 3.90 and 4.50, earlier this year, as I wanted plenty of overlap. When the signature has expired the security checking in FSUIPC, against tampering in the code, will prevent it working correctly. so it was important to allow time for everyone to update..

Eaglesoft are also there but if I load one of their new planes, I know that I will be asked by FSX to "trust" the gauges in the plane.

There must be another setting somewhere that I haven't found.

If the individual gauges aren't actually signed then they'll not be affected by anything in the publishers lists. Are you sure they are signed? The publisher might have been installed during installation only.

I've never been asked to confirm trust more than the once for any FSUIPC updates on any of my PCs -- SimFlight are now listed as trusted on them all. ;-)

Regards

Pete