The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC doesn't recognize GoFlight Modules..

Hi Pete,

I have search the forums and understand the following:

The buttons and switches on all GoFlight units are recognised in FSUIPC just like any other buttons and switches, providing you have "GFDev.DLL" installed in the same place as your GFConfig program (which is where it usually is) or, for FSX only, in the FSX Modules folder.

However, it does not recognize any rotary knob, button or switch on my modules with 'Button And Switches' selected in either FS9 or FSX. Right now I would like to set up mouse macro's for the Eaglesoft Citation X. I just installed the latest FSUIPC for FS9 and GF.dll (installed with GF config). I am running 64bit Vista with FS9, tons of memory and an Nvidia 260 card. What am I missing? :) Thanks in advance!

Bob..

However, it does not recognize any rotary knob, button or switch on my modules with 'Button And Switches' selected in either FS9 or FSX. Right now I would like to set up mouse macro's for the Eaglesoft Citation X. I just installed the latest FSUIPC for FS9 and GF.dll (installed with GF config).

GF.Dll? Do you mean GFDev.dll?

You need GFdev.dll to be accessible to FSUIPC. If it isn't found then FSUIPC will assume there are no GF modules connected. If it is actually there, in the same folder as GFConfig.exe, and FSUIPC still doesn't find it, the most likely problem is that the Registry entry for the GFConfig install path is missing or incorrect. Maybe you installed the GF software manually, or moved it later? Or possibly have made a Windows reinstall or rollback since installing?

All you need to do is make GFDev.DLL accessible. For FSX you could put a copy in the FSX Modules folder, but you must not do that for FS9 (it will crash). For both, you could simply place a copy in the main windows folder -- Windows looks there also.

Note that there's a very recently updated copy of GFDev.dll available in the Updates and other Goodies Announcement above.

Regards

Pete

Pete, thank you for the quick reply. I did indeed mean GFDev.dll and I do have the current version available on your download site. I have installed several versions of Goflight over the years and certainly could have 'fooled' the registry. I'll verify the registry path. I also dumped a copy of the .dll in the main windows folder. Thanks.

Bob.. :)

Pete, thank you for the quick reply. I did indeed mean GFDev.dll and I do have the current version available on your download site. I have installed several versions of Goflight over the years and certainly could have 'fooled' the registry. I'll verify the registry path. I also dumped a copy of the .dll in the main windows folder.

That should work, then. no need to mess in the Registry if you've done that.

Regards

Pete

Pete, I get one or the other. One being the Goflight knobs, buttons or the Joy Stick. The other recognizing the Saitek Yoke but not the GF module buttons etc. I can't get it to recognize both. Right now I have the GFDev.dll in the main windows folder and the main GoFlight folder using. I using FS9. I can setup buttons on the flight Yoke, but it does not recognize the Goflight Buttons. Earlier I was able to create a couple mouse macros, however, each time I moved a GF knob, the joy stick buttons were not recognized. The registry paths seem correct to the GFDev config etc. I hope all this makes sense. Thanks.

Bob..

Pete, I get one or the other. One being the Goflight knobs, buttons or the Joy Stick. The other recognizing the Saitek Yoke but not the GF module buttons etc. I can't get it to recognize both. Right now I have the GFDev.dll in the main windows folder and the main GoFlight folder using. I using FS9. I can setup buttons on the flight Yoke, but it does not recognize the Goflight Buttons. Earlier I was able to create a couple mouse macros, however, each time I moved a GF knob, the joy stick buttons were not recognized. The registry paths seem correct to the GFDev config etc. I hope all this makes sense. Thanks.

No, I'm sorry, none of that really makes much sense.

Can you tell me what the registry key is for the correct path to GFConfig.exe (& therefore GFDev.dll), please. I'll double check my code to make sure I'm using it correctly. Maybe it has changed with more recent GF releases.

The Saitek device is absolutely totally unrelated to anything made by GoFlight. The GFDev.DLL does not have anything to do with any Saitek devices. The code in FSUIPC for GoFlight is totally separate and not related to any non-GoFlgiht devices, buttons or joysticks.

So you probably have two separate problems and you are confusing the two. So, slow down a bit and deal with one at a time.

First, if you sometimes get the Saitek device not recognised, have you checked the FSUIPC log file afterwards? Does it show a message saying that a Joystick has exceeded its timeout of 15 mSecs? If so, you are another one with Saitek devices who is experiencing this. If you read other threads here (particularly the one entitled "FSUIPC 3.96 and Joystick Problem") you will see that the new safety timeout incorporated into FSUIPC versions 3.96 and 4.57 seems a little too tight for the Saitek drivers or devices which appear to be somewhat tardy in their responses sometimes.

So, for that problem please try increasing the JoystickTimeout value in the FSUIPC INI file. Try 20 first, but if that doesn't give you 100% success with the Saitek, increase it a bit more. I am trying to ascertain the lowest value which always works. You'll need to change it before running FS.

None of this is related to GoFlight equipment, though, which is not polled like normal joysticks but relies on notifications arriving from GFDev.DLL. Get the Saitek working first, whatever.

Regards

Pete

Pete,

The log does NOT show any errors or delays associated with the Saitek joystick which is below. The registry path is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\GoFlight\GFConfig.exe

Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\GoFlight

I apologize, but I do not know how to find the registry key. Thanks.

Bob..

********* FSUIPC, Version 3.96 by Pete Dowson *********

Running on Windows Version 5.1 Build 2600 Service Pack 2

Verifying Certificate for "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Games\Flight Simulator 9\MODULES\FSUIPC.dll" now ...

SUCCESS! Signature verifies okay!

Running inside FS2004 (FS9.1 CONTROLS.DLL, FS9.1 WEATHER.DLL)

User Name="Robert Price"

User Addr="bobpr@comcast.net"

FSUIPC Key is provided

WideFS Key is provided

Module base=61000000

ClassOptions: UIPCMAIN=FF7F, FS98MAIN=FF7F, FS2KMAIN=FF5E

WeatherOptions(Orig)=40003605[40003605]

InitDelay: 0 seconds

WeatherReadInterval=4

LogOptions=00000001

DebugStatus=255

4992 System time = 13/01/2010 10:14:44

4992 \\ROBERT-PC\Flight Simulator 9\

4992 System time = 13/01/2010 10:14:44, FS2004 time = 12:00:00 (00:00Z)

10249 \\ROBERT-PC\Robert\Documents\Flight Simulator Files\KRDG.flt

10265 AIRCRAFT\c172\Cessna172SP.air

10764 Aircraft="Cessna Skyhawk 172SP"

72072 \\ROBERT-PC\Robert\Documents\Flight Simulator Files\UI generated flight.flt

72260 Clear All Weather requested: external weather discarded

73102 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

89903 Traffic File #19 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic"

110808 WeatherOptions set, now 40003605 (timer=0)

111931 Traffic File #20 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_krdg-ga"

119793 Traffic File #21 = "scenery\world\scenery\traffic_krdg-usair"

The log does NOT show any errors or delays associated with the Saitek joystick which is below.

The timeout is only executed when in the axis or buttons assignments or the calibration section of the options, so they won't be logged unless you go into those sections. Do you have anything assigned in FSUIPC for the Saitek joystick? What actions of yours does the log extract purport to show? Sorry if I'm confused now -- I thought you were having problem assigning or calibrating? If you have already done that, in FS perhaps, then something else must be wrong. Does FS see the joystick?

Did you try increasing the JoystickTimeout from 15 to 20 anyway? The value 20 seems to be working fine for other Saitek user's, so far anyway.

The registry path is:

C:\Program Files (x86)\GoFlight\GFConfig.exe

Path: C:\Program Files (x86)\GoFlight

I apologize, but I do not know how to find the registry key.

How do you know that the above is the registry path to GFConfig.exe if you could not find the registry key to see it? Sorry, I don't understand. I presumed that, to check the registry entry, you looked in the Registry, with RegEdit for example. If so then the "key" is the stuff on the left which points to the path you just listed. If you have the entry selected the full key is shown in the status bar at the bottom of Regedit's window.

On my system, for instance, the full key is:

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\GFConfig.exe

The "Wow6432Node" is only applicable to 64bit operating systems I think, and is automatically inserted by windows. My program merely looks for

SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\GFConfig.exe

within the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE registry section. The key contains two parameters: "(default)" and "Path". I use the Path one.

You can easily get the Key name into the clipboard, for pasting into a message, by using Regedit's Edit menu, "Copy Key Name" facility.

Regards

Pete

Pete, I could not match the key on left with the Path. In any case, I reinstalled the GF package and it is now working as it should. I apologize for the confusion describing my problem as it's difficult to precisely state what we are seeing when we don't know what we and it's doing. :D As always I appreciate your quick attention and suggestions. Thanks.

Bob..