The simFlight Network Forums

Goflight TQ6 trustreverse (button)

Hi Pete,

I've seen in the forum that you've gotten a lot of questions regarding a reverse. I've read them all (i think I have anyway). Basically there're two options: program a lever and link it via FUIPCS Direct to a trust reverse. The other option is cvreating a "dead-zone" on the throttle axis and make the lowest possible setting the thrust range (as is done with many CH products).

Well..I have a GF TQ6. You may remember that one 'cause it does have 'wannabe" thrustreverse levers which, actually, only are there only to activate a button.

Now..I've the reverselevers working, but am not really sure if I've gotten the correct way. Let me explain:

When activating the buttons of a thrustreverse (I only use 2 of the 4 axis for the throttle and ofcourse also two reverse axis (which aren't real axis as I've explained)).

When checking FSUIPC I see the following happening when pressing the button:

The button start with 2,2 in the Buttons/Switches TAB of FSUIPC, but than changes automatically to 169,2 (even though the button is still pressed). The other thrustreversebutton starts with 2,3, but changes to 169,3 while the button is still pressed. This is something FSUIPC has no control over, so it's something that originates in the controller of the GF.

The fsuipc.ini file shows this:

0=R169,2,C65966,0

1=R169,3,C65971,0

My actual question is this: The thrustreverse works by pulling the levers back and thereby activating the button. FSUIPC detects the 169,2 and 169,3 and activates both left and right trustreverse (since I linked that particular action to the 169,2 and 169,3 buttons). However...when I want the reverser to get back to normal (no thrust reverse), I have to move the throttles forward a bit. I hope you understand what I mean here.

What I really would like to have is the option to push the reverse levers back to their "up" position (eg no thrust activated) without moving the throttle levers. However...I don't see any option that would give me that. The only thing I can think of would be: is it possible to make a timed action after pressing a button? So I press a button, an action is done, but only during a certain amount of time (like...30seconds or so).

You know what really is weird? Goflights own software somehow can do this: I activate the thrust reverse, the reverser is activated untill I move the lever back. But that doesn't compute...the button is, by itself, switching from R2,2 to R169,2.

I know this all might sound weird, but I tried my best to explain. If you need more info I'd be happy to provide it.

FSUIPC 4.573 is being used on FSX.

I've seen in the forum that you've gotten a lot of questions regarding a reverse. I've read them all (i think I have anyway). Basically there're two options: program a lever and link it via FUIPCS Direct to a trust reverse. The other option is cvreating a "dead-zone" on the throttle axis and make the lowest possible setting the thrust range (as is done with many CH products).

Actually probably the most common option is a third one -- just having a reverse button which effectively does the same as pressing F2 (i.e. simply repeats the "THROTTLE_DECR" control).

Well..I have a GF TQ6. You may remember that one 'cause it does have 'wannabe" thrustreverse levers which, actually, only are there only to activate a button.

Right. Ripe candidates, then for using THROTTLE_DECR repeating on that button.

When activating the buttons of a thrustreverse (I only use 2 of the 4 axis for the throttle and ofcourse also two reverse axis (which aren't real axis as I've explained)).

When checking FSUIPC I see the following happening when pressing the button:

Before you go on, you'll need to clarify that a bit for me. If you are going to use the other two axis levers for reverse, why are you using buttons as well? surely the use of the reverser levers replaces any need to use buttons for reverse?

The button start with 2,2 in the Buttons/Switches TAB of FSUIPC, but than changes automatically to 169,2 (even though the button is still pressed). The other thrustreversebutton starts with 2,3, but changes to 169,3 while the button is still pressed. This is something FSUIPC has no control over, so it's something that originates in the controller of the GF.

Sounds like the TQ6 is being seen by Windows as a standard joystick (number 2) with buttons, and is also being scanned by FSUIPC because you have GFDev.DLL installed. If you don't have any other GoFlight modules you want to program in FSUIPC you would probably be better off renaming GFDev.DLL so FSUIPC doesn't try to use it. You'll find it in the same folder as your GFConfig program.

Actually I didn't know the buttons came through as normal joystick buttons. Maybe I should remove the TQ6 from my button scanning in any case. No one ever mentioned it before!

The fsuipc.ini file shows this:

0=R169,2,C65966,0

1=R169,3,C65971,0

So you are NOT going to be using the other two axes as reversers? This is getting confusing I'm afraid.

The thrustreverse works by pulling the levers back and thereby activating the button. FSUIPC detects the 169,2 and 169,3 and activates both left and right trustreverse (since I linked that particular action to the 169,2 and 169,3 buttons). However...when I want the reverser to get back to normal (no thrust reverse), I have to move the throttles forward a bit. I hope you understand what I mean here.

Yes. now I am beginning to understand that when, above, you said "I only use 2 of the 4 axis for the throttle and ofcourse also two reverse axis" you didn't mean you were using any reverser axes at all. You are simply not using the other two axes at all? (But what was all that about "not real axes"? Buttons aren't anything to do with axes, let alone being real or non-real).

It seems to me to be completely realistic to calibrate a proper idle zone, and to push the throttle away from reverse.

What I really would like to have is the option to push the reverse levers back to their "up" position (eg no thrust activated) without moving the throttle levers. However...I don't see any option that would give me that. The only thing I can think of would be: is it possible to make a timed action after pressing a button? So I press a button, an action is done, but only during a certain amount of time (like...30seconds or so).

You can certainly program something like that as a Lua plug-in. It isn't a pre-programmed FSUIPC facility. Take a look at the recently included "TripleUse" lua example -- that provides three separate button uses, but based on quick press, double press, and longer press. You could use a timeout after last release to send another command (just one set set the normal Throttle axes to zero).

You know what really is weird? Goflights own software somehow can do this: I activate the thrust reverse, the reverser is activated untill I move the lever back. But that doesn't compute...the button is, by itself, switching from R2,2 to R169,2.

Only because the button is arriving in FSUIPC from two sources.

FSUIPC 4.573 is being used on FSX.

4.577 is available now.

Regards

Pete

Actually probably the most common option is a third one -- just having a reverse button which effectively does the same as pressing F2 (i.e. simply repeats the "THROTTLE_DECR" control).

Right. Ripe candidates, then for using THROTTLE_DECR repeating on that button.

Yeah, that's what I have done now with those two buttons I mentioned.

Before you go on, you'll need to clarify that a bit for me. If you are going to use the other two axis levers for reverse, why are you using buttons as well? surely the use of the reverser levers replaces any need to use buttons for reverse?

To clarify: the TQ6 actually has 6 levers which are connected to a pot-meter (that's what it's called right?) and 4 axis that are dummy axis (thise 4 axis 'share' the same 'opening' in the TQ6 where the 4 actual (pot-metered) axis reside), meaning...you can moven them like an axis, but in fact...they don't have any pot-meter attached to those axis. They only have a button hooked up to the axis so one can use those buttons (4 per dummy axis) when moving that (dummy) axis down untill it makes contact with the actual throttle axis.

I insert a picture of the TQ6 so you get an idea of the layout of it.

Sounds like the TQ6 is being seen by Windows as a standard joystick (number 2) with buttons, and is also being scanned by FSUIPC because you have GFDev.DLL installed. If you don't have any other GoFlight modules you want to program in FSUIPC you would probably be better off renaming GFDev.DLL so FSUIPC doesn't try to use it. You'll find it in the same folder as your GFConfig program.

Actually, I do have another GF item (the T8) but I can't get it to work with the Ariane 737 (I posted a question about that not too long ago), but..I can get rid of the gfdev.dll in this particular case.

Actually I didn't know the buttons came through as normal joystick buttons. Maybe I should remove the TQ6 from my button scanning in any case. No one ever mentioned it before!

OK, I leave that at your desgression

Thanks Pete. I hope I clarified things for you.

Regards

post-36159-128689709904_thumb.jpg

OK, I leave that at your desgression

I would be a bit worried about messing up folks' assignments (those like yours, in fact) if I just removed it like that, so I will probably make it an option, defaulted in but with an INI file entry which can be changed to tell me not to poll its buttons.

• 2 weeks later...

So where are we on this? I have the same problem. How to set the TQ6 thrust reversers to activate and deactivate using FSUIPC (v.3.966) in FS9. I have levers 3 and 4 set up as throttles, levers 1 and 2 are prop pitch controls. Levers 5 and 6 are unused in this aircraft (F-50). I have disabled the FS joystick controls. How can I make FSUIPC see the thrust reversers in the photo above as buttons? Maybe I have missed something obvious.

John

So where are we on this?

On the subject of the buttons being seen as both normal joystick buttons and FSUIPC special GoFlight buttons, you mean? The TQ6 buttons can be suppressed by changing the FSUIPC INI file option, PollGFTQ6, as described in the list of recent changes in the Updates announcement. That is the resolution, perhaps you missed it?

I have the same problem. How to set the TQ6 thrust reversers to activate and deactivate using FSUIPC (v.3.966) in FS9. I have levers 3 and 4 set up as throttles, levers 1 and 2 are prop pitch controls. Levers 5 and 6 are unused in this aircraft (F-50). I have disabled the FS joystick controls. How can I make FSUIPC see the thrust reversers in the photo above as buttons? Maybe I have missed something obvious.

Sorry, what is the "same problem"? The assignment of the buttons was never a problem, only slightly confusing in FSUIPC because the same buttons gave two different numbers. Hence the option to suppress the GoFlight number and just use the normal FS one.

As for "FSUIPC seeing thrust reversers as buttons", there is no way to "see axes as buttons", ever. FSUIPC it sees the joystick axes as axes for assignment in the usual way. FSUIPC3 can handle up to 6 axes per joystick connection, XYZRUV. In FSUIPC4 you can see 8, XYZRUVST. The "buttons" we were talking about are those also built into the TQ6 and, I think, depressed when you pull the sticks right back.

Regards

Pete

As for "FSUIPC seeing thrust reversers as buttons", there is no way to "see axes as buttons", ever.

Okay.

The "buttons" we were talking about are those also built into the TQ6 and, I think, depressed when you pull the sticks right back.

There are no actual buttons on the TQ6. The point is that the four upper middle axes can be set using the GoFlight setup program to function as thrust reversers. In the photo they are the four small white levers using the same 'runs' as the throttles. They look like levers (axes) but function as switches. They do not have potentiometers. They switch ON when pulled aft towards the user and OFF, hopefully, when pushed for'ard. I would like to know if it is possible to set these 'switches' up using FSUIPC.

Thanks.

John

There are no actual buttons on the TQ6.

Not little round ones, but they certainly have some sort of microswitches which can be activated, because they appear in both FS and FSUIPC as buttons.

The point is that the four upper middle axes can be set using the GoFlight setup program to function as thrust reversers. In the photo they are the four small white levers using the same 'runs' as the throttles. They look like levers (axes) but function as switches. They do not have potentiometers.

They operate the buttons, then.

They switch ON when pulled aft towards the user and OFF, hopefully, when pushed for'ard. I would like to know if it is possible to set these 'switches' up using FSUIPC.

Of course. They are seen as normal Buttons. They are the ones discussed in this thread as having TWO different joystick numbers in FSUIPC because they are seen both as GoFlight devices and regular joysticks. That is why I added the new parameter I mentioned, to avoid the confusion of having two numbers for the same buttons.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still struggling with setting up thrust reversers for twin jet and turboprop types. I'm running 3.972 and I've set PollGFTQ6=No. The reversers are identified as Joy 2, buttons 1, 2.

On the GoFlight module I have calibrated throttles and flaps (4 stages) and spoilers using FSUIPC and all work fine. (I also have prop pitch controls and mixture settings successfully calibrated for props and turboprops).

I have managed to get as far as reverse thrust activation with the TQ6 using key press F2 but this acts only momentarily. I have set F2 to repeat. I also tried using the FS control with Throttle Dec but this produced the same result - momentary reverse thrust only. Parameter showed 0.

Update:

Messing around, I just discovered that the mixture axes in the GoFlight TQ6 (far right levers 5,6) activate reverse thrust. No need for buttons! Hooray! All working like a dream now. Thanks, as always, Pete.

• 2 months later...
Did anybody achieved setting TQ6 reverse thrust via FSUIPC?

Certainly lots of folks do so.

I added PollGFTQ6=No but still have joystick 169 there...

Is there a problem assigning THROTTLE DECR to the Joystick 169 buttons? I don't understand.

Reopening fsuipc.ini reveals, that PollGFTQ6=No changes itself to PollGFTQ=No

Really? This is in FSUIPC3? I'll check that. But it really shouldn't be a problem. I only added to parameter because one person was confused about getting two joystick numbers for the same buttons. But it does no harm.

[LATER]

I've checked, and there's no incidence of "PollGFTQ" anywhere in FSUIPC3, only "PollGFTQ6" which is both Read and Written.

Regards

Pete