The simFlight Network Forums

VRInsight MCP Combo HID?

read quite a while ago on VRInsight that they had send you a MCP Combo to review

any progress on that?

the new LOMAC update is coming out soon and a HID interface for the MCP Combo would be just swell :D :D :D

(the key commands, at the moment, are a pain in the n** :evil: )

thx, mt

read quite a while ago on VRInsight that they had send you a MCP Combo to review

any progress on that?

I have it connected and using their software it works in many ways, but I agree that in some areas it needs better assignments.

I was considering whether to try and support their units more directly in FSUIPC, like with GoFlight, but I'm not terribly keen on using their SDK as it stands as it looks as if each unit has to be dealt with separately. I've not had enough time to look into it more deeply as yet. Not sure when I will at present -- maybe in a few weeks.

the new LOMAC update is coming out soon and a HID interface for the MCP Combo would be just swell :D :D :D

I'm not doing any HID drivers. That's outside my scope and would need special stuff from Microsoft regarding IDs and so on, which all cost too much. If VRInsight do HID drivers that would be fine, but i think it unlikely in any case with the ordinary serial port style interface -- the MCP combo is not using USB except as a serial port adapter, FTDI I think.

(the key commands, at the moment, are a pain in the n** :evil: )

thx, mt

Yes, I can see it's a bit of a mess if you want to do anything sophisticated. I will get to it, I just cannot promise when, nor even what I can do. The idea that each unit needs special handling puts me off a bit. If it looks like I can unify things, then maybe.

Regards

Pete

Yes, I can see it's a bit of a mess if you want to do anything sophisticated. I will get to it, I just cannot promise when, nor even what I can do. The idea that each unit needs special handling puts me off a bit. If it looks like I can unify things, then maybe.

Well if you're looking into it, there's hope :D

Actually, when I read back VRInsight's 'volunteer'(!) webmasters posts, a wild guess concerning the bussiness model of the VRInsight is; a couple of south korean hardware technicians that thought they could drill a market, when 1 of them was flying FS in the basement, and the other one's neighbour found a like new ASML chip bake machine in the junk yard and could have use of an abandoned forge of his uncle, and after some sleepless nights, voila, the MCP Combo was born, running on Korean assembly code only (it's a Steve Jobs parable).

Their - native english - webmaster is English, the software programmer supposedly Dutch, as if found by VRInsight on their very first exhibition of the prototype.

I bet they will bent over backwards to cooperate with anything you'll ask them :idea: , Korean style, and politely so, because you're the iconic expert (perhaps they will send you women also :D, like the Emeror send to the Mongols across the Wall).

I hope you'll do, because the thought alone of assigning again for the new LOMAC (I use an excel spreadsheet to document), gives me a headage allready :twisted:

+1 on this!

The combo and the rest of the VRInsight stuff could be a market leader, because the price-performance-ratio is very good, I think.

GoFlight and the rest is doubtless better quality, but much to expensive.

But VRInsight seems a bit unprofessional behind their facade...

I wonder why they haven't put 1,2 or 3 BU0836X Interfaces behind their hardware... this thing works wonderful.

All our hopes now to our master translator FSX Rest of the world: Pete! :D

I have made good progress. Please see the Sticky above about VRInsight users.

Great News! :D (I'm running MCP combo (FSX/DBS BS/Lomac) with a windows7 64 box, which is about (not quite, I wish) your setup, as Ive read somewhere, so not much use here)

to add to my first post: another problem you might come accross is a - unresolved - Windows Regional Settings bug

the 'modifiers' that DBSBS/Lomac use - a button/key that adds a pre-keycode to buttons (like FSUIPC 'conditional' button), so they'll double up - has a bug - in such a way that in my 'standard' Windows7x64_US, no Modifiers can be used for the MCP via SerialFP2, i.c.

the KeyCommand will NOT transmit (or Receive/Decode?) SHIFT or CTRL (or ALT?)

f.i. in DCS Black Shark, instead of Altitude hold [LSHIFT + A]

it will only transmit [A] (Weapon system control switch Manual/Auto)(Module = SFP2_MCP_KeyCmd.dll)

at tech@VRInsight they said they'd 'fixed' this by writing a .dll that Will accept RightModifiers (not) like Rshift, Rctrl and 'just change your assignments'

problem is, - in my case - DCS' SerialFP2's DLL will not accept any modifiers, so I'm stuck with freeing all single Key commands, and reassign them to my MCP commands

I'd like to mention this, because I saw comfirmation on the www, that appearantly another flight game (forgot which) had the same 'Regional Settings' issue (seems to stem from a mix of Russian region and Korean region from the developers, and the Type of keyboard chip is used) and they had 'solved' this because they had identified the bug and by rewriting their driver, this was solved. Well, with DBS Black Shark/Lomac vs. MCP Combo, it appears, this is not the case that I know of, and I'm stuck with non-modifier keystrokes.

So, please, if you can, have a lookout for this disturbing bug (I just realized, you find your code by sort of 'Reverse Engeneering' the actual dataflow, so you might alltogether avert this whole issue) , so that it will not pop up in your work, thx, mt

Great News! :D (I'm running MCP combo (FSX/DBS BS/Lomac) with a windows7 64 box, which is about (not quite, I wish) your setup, as Ive read somewhere, so not much use here)

Ah, never mind. I can send you the stuff in anycase. You can have some fun with it. Won't be till next week -- maybe over the weekend if I get time. Send me an email as per the stickie.

to add to my first post: another problem you might come accross is a - unresolved - Windows Regional Settings bug

the 'modifiers' that DBSBS/Lomac use - a button/key that adds a pre-keycode to buttons (like FSUIPC 'conditional' button), so they'll double up - has a bug - in such a way that in my 'standard' Windows7x64_US, no Modifiers can be used for the MCP via SerialFP2, i.c.

the KeyCommand will NOT transmit (or Receive/Decode?) SHIFT or CTRL (or ALT?)

Sorry, all that is way over my head, or someplace. I don't know anything about "key commands" with VRI. I'm reading and writing to the devices directly.

So, please, if you can, have a lookout for this disturbing bug (I just realized, you find your code by sort of 'Reverse Engeneering' the actual dataflow, so you might alltogether avert this whole issue) , so that it will not pop up in your work, thx, mt

No. That "bug" must be to do with SerialFP2 or one or other of the DLLs that uses. I'm not using any VRInsight software at all.

Regards

Pete

Sorry, all that is way over my head, or someplace. I don't know anything about "key commands" with VRI. I'm reading and writing to the devices directly.

MCPCombo could be used for the Lomac/Black Shark etc. software .. (and that I do with some trouble) .. and FSUIPC(?)

and unlike MS FS software, this software distinguishes beteen

and

shift keys (they call them 'modifiers')

I just read this probably means they're reading hardware input, other that (~virtual) 'keyboard' input

and it apears russian/korean/western hardware does weird things through an erroneously translated 'Regional' setting

other than that ..

my MCP combo just broke down and is in repair .. oh dear .. will be a week or so

thx, mt