The simFlight Network Forums

Camera definitions in Aircraft.cfg & FSUIPC

Dear Pete,

I created custom camera definitions for one of my planes by editing its Aircraft.cfg file, where I added new cameras. I can normally go through all of them one by one by using standard FSX's keys (a/shift-a keys, as an example) and there is a similar facility in FSUIPC (sorry I forgot its name now). The questions is: is it possible to assign access in FSUIPC to each individual camera directly, instead of flipping them one by one in a row? Please note for what it matters these are in Aircraft.cfg not Cameras.cfg .

Many thanks,

Dirk.

I created custom camera definitions for one of my planes by editing its Aircraft.cfg file, where I added new cameras. I can normally go through all of them one by one by using standard FSX's keys (a/shift-a keys, as an example) and there is a similar facility in FSUIPC (sorry I forgot its name now).

I'm not aware of any specific facilities for camera selection.

The questions is: is it possible to assign access in FSUIPC to each individual camera directly, instead of flipping them one by one in a row? Please note for what it matters these are in Aircraft.cfg not Cameras.cfg .

I didn't know you could define cameras in the Aircraft.CFG file. How are they activated? You don't mean the window views in the PANEL.CFG files, do you?

Regards

Pete

I'm not aware of any specific facilities for camera selection.

Then good chance we'll have more functinality in future versions of FSUIPC. :D

I didn't know you could define cameras in the Aircraft.CFG file. How are they activated?

Yes, FSX allows great flexibility in creating different convenient views in 3D specific to each particular aircraft only. You can go to Aircraft.cfg and find [CameraDefinition.n] section. Pls try to experiment with modifying them. For example, you can remove some of the views that you don't like completely, or modify them to your liking. My favorite line is InitialPbh = X, X, X, that allows me to create certain views with angles on the instrument panel in VC (POV wider or narrow, higher or lower). The awesome result of one of my modifications is that my default TrackIR eyeposition is not centered anymore in the middle of the screen looking at somewhere far ahead outside the cockpit but instead looks somewhat aksew from a higher position downwards at the instrument panel, which feels and looks way more realistic in VC. So when I want to look outside I "raise" my eyes (with TrackIR) and then my eyeview goes back downwards more at the instrument panel.

Anyway, I think I've found the answer already while I was asking. I hope hotkeyselect switch from the global cameras in Cameras.cfg will work in CameraDefinitions of Aircraft.cfg, the rest is easy with FSUIPC.

Thanks,

Dirk.

PLS note, that:

InitialXyz = 1.3, -0.2, -12.52

InitialPbh = 5, 0, 90 are referenced from eyepoint=27.90, -1.55, 2.50 and make sure to reload either the aircraft or FSX while experimenting each time.

Guys, anyone who is reading this and while we are at it: if you find a way to ultimately inhibit TIR panning in 2D cabin view (like it was in FS9) please post here. A huge shortcoming of FSX for me is that 2D view (Title = Cockpit) is panable with TrackIr. And unfortunately TrackIR in its turn does not have a discrete Pause control, instead only Toggle, which always creates a possibility for desynchronization of the TIR view OFF toggle in 2D cockpit view, if you know what I mean.

Thanks,

Dirk.

Dear Pete,

I created custom camera definitions for one of my planes by editing its Aircraft.cfg file, where I added new cameras. I can normally go through all of them one by one by using standard FSX's keys (a/shift-a keys, as an example) and there is a similar facility in FSUIPC (sorry I forgot its name now). The questions is: is it possible to assign access in FSUIPC to each individual camera directly, instead of flipping them one by one in a row? Please note for what it matters these are in Aircraft.cfg not Cameras.cfg .

Many thanks,

Dirk.

Dirk, use the FSX "Hotkey=" feature and assign a hotkey to the CameraDefinition views you want to access instantaneously.

In all my VC aircraft I have CameraDefinition.001 to .003 assigned to hotkeys and those hotkeys ( view switches ) mapped

to my #2 hat on my X-45 stick. A flick of my thumb takes me to the right seat, the overhead view, the console view

or back to the left set. Currently I do this through the FSX Controls menu. The "View Camera Select" assignments.

This can also be done in FSX by using offsets 66851 through 66860. "VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_0" through 9.

In the aircraft.cfg file you can add a "HotKeySelect=n" statement at the end of each CameraDefinition.xxx" sections

where "n" is the number of the camera view.

So, if you assign CameraDefinition.001 to HotKey 5 by adding the HotKey statement, in FSUIPC you would assign

a button/hat position/switch to "VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_5", offset 66855.

Hope this isn't too confusing.

Paul

Paul, sorry, it's still a bit confusing for me. Like, first you refer to the FSX "Hotkey=" feature. I don't know what "Hotkey=" switch is or where it is (in aircraft.cfg, Cameras.cfg, FSUIPC.ini etc.). For example, I understand what "HotKeySelect=n" is and as I mentioned earlier that I thought I figured out how to use it while I was posting, which you proved by the second part of your post. Now I'm curious about "Hotkey=" that you mentioned. Where is it? I couldn't find it in the parameters of Camera configuration of ESP SDK. Please elaborate.

Thanks,

Dirk.

PS: basically my goal was exactly what you described above, so I'm slowly learning and moving in your direction with these assignments. Btw, do you happen to use TrackIR as well?

Paul, sorry, it's still a bit confusing for me. Like, first you refer to the FSX "Hotkey=" feature. I don't know what "Hotkey=" switch is or where it is (in aircraft.cfg, Cameras.cfg, FSUIPC.ini etc.). For example, I understand what "HotKeySelect=n" is and as I mentioned earlier that I thought I figured out how to use it while I was posting, which you proved by the second part of your post. Now I'm curious about "Hotkey=" that you mentioned. Where is it? I couldn't find it in the parameters of Camera configuration of ESP SDK. Please elaborate.

Thanks,

Dirk.

PS: basically my goal was exactly what you described above, so I'm slowly learning and moving in your direction with these assignments. Btw, do you happen to use TrackIR as well?

Ah, I see the source of confusion I think. In my haste I didn't complete the entire name "HotKeySelect=" in the reference to the FSX feature.

You append the "HotKeySelect=n" statement to the CameraDefinition.xxx sections of the aircraft.cfg file. When the key/switch/button assigned to

key number "n" is pressed that CameraDefinition is activated. The key number, 0-9, corresponds to the FSX "View Camera x" entries in the

Controls, Buttons/Keys menu. There you can assign a key/switch/button to Cameras 0, 4 - 9.

So, to select a Camera Definition you link that definition in the aircraft.cfg file to the desired FSX "View Camera x" by

(1)assigning it a number in the "HotKeySelect=" statement. You then

(2) assign a key/switch/button to that "View Camera x" entry in the FSX menu.

Likewise, you can assign that key/button/switch in FSUIPC. You still need to do step (1).

To answer your TrackIR question, yes, I use it and wouldn't do without it now! :)

I have a couple of keys on my X-45 set mto toggle the "enable" function and to activate the "center"

function. I find that these are essential for being able to fly from the VC and be able to see all parts

of the cockpit and activate those controls with tiny click-spot areas :)

It is just a natural sequence for me now when I want to look beyond the 'limits' of the TIR view

range to look momentarily in the OPPOSITE direction, hit the "Center" button and then look

to where I wanted to be. When done, look straight at the screen and hit "Center" again.

So to look further down, look UP, Center, and then look down.

You can also "Pause" TIR and on any CameraDefiniton that has the "SnapPbhAdjust=" and "PanPbhAdjust =" set

to "Swivel" and pan your view using the normal view hat switch to move your view around.

I have an X-45 stick and throttle attached with the throttle axis disabled and a Saitek Pro

yoke with two throttle quadrants with the yoke axis disabled. I use the X-45 stick to fly

and use the throttles on the Pro quadrants. I use the switches and buttons on the stick

the X-45 throttle and the two Pro quadrants. The yoke hangs on the side of my hutch, serving

only as a connection point for the throttle quads :)

Paul

Thanks, Paul, all is clear. Basically I have used my CHCombo and Yoke in the same manner, I programmed more views in addition to the panning with TrackIR. Some of the additional views I had to finger through sequentially, which I wanted to change, so not anymore. I've learnt how to access them directly. FSUIPC makes it really easy to connect your joystick to those additional functions.

One more question since you are so advanced with the Views/Cameras system in FSX: by any chance did you happen to figure out how to disengage TrackIR in 2D panel view completely? Do you remember how it worked in FS2004 with TIR: when you switched to 2D panel your TrackIR just disengaged because that mode was static in fs9 code. Now it is not static in FSX (as they call it "2D panel is just a special case of 3D cockpit" or smth like that) so if you are in 2D panel view and toggle your TIR inadvertantly your whole 2D panel will start swivel or bob up and down with the movement of the TIR tracker/reflector on your head , which is a huge spoiler and dissappointment for me in FSX. There are a few planes that I would still love to fly both in 2D and VC, but so far I couldn't stand that terrible rotation (even occasionally) of 2D panels by TIR, so I haven't used 2D panels at all in FSX.

Thanks,

Dirk.

Thanks, Paul, all is clear. Basically I have used my CHCombo and Yoke in the same manner, I programmed more views in addition to the panning with TrackIR. Some of the additional views I had to finger through sequentially, which I wanted to change, so not anymore. I've learnt how to access them directly. FSUIPC makes it really easy to connect your joystick to those additional functions.

One more question since you are so advanced with the Views/Cameras system in FSX: by any chance did you happen to figure out how to disengage TrackIR in 2D panel view completely? Do you remember how it worked in FS2004 with TIR: when you switched to 2D panel your TrackIR just disengaged because that mode was static in fs9 code. Now it is not static in FSX (as they call it "2D panel is just a special case of 3D cockpit" or smth like that) so if you are in 2D panel view and toggle your TIR inadvertantly your whole 2D panel will start swivel or bob up and down with the movement of the TIR tracker/reflector on your head , which is a huge spoiler and dissappointment for me in FSX. There are a few planes that I would still love to fly both in 2D and VC, but so far I couldn't stand that terrible rotation (even occasionally) of 2D panels by TIR, so I haven't used 2D panels at all in FSX.

Thanks,

Dirk.

Hello Dirk,

I haven't looked at the 2D panel issues with FSX/TrackIR since I only fly aircraft with full, operational VC's.

When FSX first came out I was very disappointed that they had neutered the 2D environment by eliminating

all views but straight forward. In FS9 I was a "2D cockpit" flyer.

All I can say is just get used to using mapped "pause" and "center" buttons for TrackIR and when going

to the 2D panel just look straight ahead and "pause/center".

I'm not sure if there is anything else available but you might check the TrackIR site, if you haven't

already done so.

Paul

Hello Dirk,

I haven't looked at the 2D panel issues with FSX/TrackIR since I only fly aircraft with full, operational VC's.

When FSX first came out I was very disappointed that they had neutered the 2D environment by eliminating

all views but straight forward. In FS9 I was a "2D cockpit" flyer.

All I can say is just get used to using mapped "pause" and "center" buttons for TrackIR and when going

to the 2D panel just look straight ahead and "pause/center".

I'm not sure if there is anything else available but you might check the TrackIR site, if you haven't

already done so.

Paul

Paul, it's amazing how close my ideas and feelings about FSX simming are to yours. I'd subscribe to everything you mentioned based on my own experience.

I appreciate your time.

Thanks,

Dirk.

• 1 year later...

Hello Paul,

If you still visit this forum, I recall I could somehow assign POV angles and different views to cameras with some 'save' button (was it in FSUIPC or FSX I don't remember). I'm getting back to FSX after a major upgrade of my pc (2600k/gtx580). Unfortunately I can't remember most of the vew/cameras methods I had learnt and used.

Thanks,

Dirk.

Hello Paul,

If you still visit this forum, I recall I could somehow assign POV angles and different views to cameras with some 'save' button (was it in FSUIPC or FSX I don't remember). I'm getting back to FSX after a major upgrade of my pc (2600k/gtx580). Unfortunately I can't remember most of the vew/cameras methods I had learnt and used.

Thanks,

Dirk.

I meant to say I used some fast method to adjust camera views and save them in 3D without typing in InitialXyz and InitialPbh values manually.

This is still very helpful:

In all my VC aircraft I have CameraDefinition.001 to .003 assigned to hotkeys and those hotkeys ( view switches ) mapped

to my #2 hat on my X-45 stick. A flick of my thumb takes me to the right seat, the overhead view, the console view

or back to the left set. Currently I do this through the FSX Controls menu. The "View Camera Select" assignments.

This can also be done in FSX by using offsets 66851 through 66860. "VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_0" through 9.

In the aircraft.cfg file you can add a "HotKeySelect=n" statement at the end of each CameraDefinition.xxx" sections

where "n" is the number of the camera view.

So, if you assign CameraDefinition.001 to HotKey 5 by adding the HotKey statement, in FSUIPC you would assign

a button/hat position/switch to "VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_5", offset 66855.

I didn't ask that time, how would "HotKeySelect=n" statements below "CameraDefinition.xxx" sections in aircraft.cfg and cameras.cfg cooperate with each other? (as Paul referred to aircraft.cfg explaining "HotKeySelect=n" statement, and I found those in Cameras.cfg as well).

Dirk.

I meant to say I used some fast method to adjust camera views and save them in 3D without typing in InitialXyz and InitialPbh values manually.

This is still very helpful:

I didn't ask that time, how would "HotKeySelect=n" statements below "CameraDefinition.xxx" sections in aircraft.cfg and cameras.cfg cooperate with each other? (as Paul referred to aircraft.cfg explaining "HotKeySelect=n" statement, and I found those in Cameras.cfg as well).

Dirk.

Dirk,

Standard FSX controls assigned via FSUIPC starting at offset 66859 throuh 66860 can be used

to call up CameraDefinitions with "HotKeySelect=" statements added to them

"VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_1" through "VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_0"

These assignments can also be made via the FSX "Settings - Controls", "Buttons/Keys" menu.

Here is a screenshot of my assignments of camera views to a joystick hat.

My link

Paul

Dirk,

Standard FSX controls assigned via FSUIPC starting at offset 66859 throuh 66860 can be used

to call up CameraDefinitions with "HotKeySelect=" statements added to them

"VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_1" through "VIEW_CAMERA_SELECT_0"

These assignments can also be made via the FSX "Settings - Controls", "Buttons/Keys" menu.

Here is a screenshot of my assignments of camera views to a joystick hat.

My link

Paul

Paul, thank you, very helpful. Glad to see you still visit this forum. How do you set up and save your views in VC? By manual editing? EZDOK can do excellent job assigning the views. But I find it too conceptual for my simple needs. I haven't finally decided yet on how create views for VC in FSX.

Dirk.

Paul, thank you, very helpful. Glad to see you still visit this forum. How do you set up and save your views in VC? By manual editing? EZDOK can do excellent job assigning the views. But I find it too conceptual for my simple needs. I haven't finally decided yet on how create views for VC in FSX.

Dirk.

I edit the CameraDefinition files maually. When I install a new aircraft, the first thing I do is copy the .001,.002 and .003 CameraDefinition

files from a similar aircraft and place them in the new aircraft.cfg file. Then fire up FSX and go to the VC and see if any of the variables

need to be changed.

Creating a new view is just a matter of setting the initial values to an approximate position relative to either the VC model center

or the aircraft model center. Then tweaking them until I get the view I am after. In the A2A B-17G I have additional views that put

my in the bombardiers position, the tail gunners position, the bomb bay and the upper turret. Those come in handy when I am flying

formation on missions in multiplayer.

These are, after all, just text files so as long as you backup the originals you can get creative to your hearts content without having to

worry about "breaking" anything :)

Paul

These are, after all, just text files so as long as you backup the originals you can get creative to your hearts content without having to

worry about "breaking" anything :)

Paul

Thank you, Paul. I enjoy reading your comments, and they are very helpful! I'll try to play with the settings and see what works best for me this time. I'll also try to recall my ways of handling and saving settings. I think I used to change the values from my client PC manually and reload fsx situation right away to see the affect.

Regards,

Dirk.