The simFlight Network Forums

How to assign to uncommon functions?

Hi!

I have used the basic functions of FSUIPC for some years, but now I am going to build a complete cockpit based on the Aeroworx B200 King Air, and

need to expand my use of the program. Because a lot of the functions I need is not presented in the pull down FS controls pull down menu.

I can see from a lot of websites that it is possible to program buttons outside the FS FSUIPC menu, but I can figure out how.

So.... how can I assign buttons to functions like:

Fasten seatbelts

Vent blower

Aft blower

Radiant Heat

Fuel Firewall valves

Standby pumps

Cross-feed

Auxillary trasnfer switches

Stall Warning

Auto ignition and engine start buttons

Inverter switch

Bleed air switches

Windshield anti ice

Engine anti ice

Surface anti ice

etc. etc.

Look forward to read your answears :)

Best regards,

Tom A Hansen

So.... how can I assign buttons to functions like:

Are those supported by the aircraft? If so, how do you operate them?

If this with FS9 or FSX or some other version of FS?

Of those you list, and depending on FS version, these are supported in FS:

Fasten seatbelts (FSX)

Cross-feed (all versions)

Stall Warning (not a switch but a sound -- or do you mean test or cutout buttons?)

Auto ignition and engine start buttons (called auto-start in FS)

Inverter switch (? maybe same as FS's alternator or generator?)

Engine anti ice (all versions)

Surface anti ice (wing or structural -- all versions, I think. Certainly FSX)

etc. etc. (Maybe some of those depending what they are)

Look forward to read your answears :)

You really need to work the other way around. What functions are simulated in the aircraft you use? If a function in the real aircraft is not actually simulated, all you can do is have a dummy switch, for looks or procedure. There are of course add-on programs which augment or supplant the functions in FS or your aircraft model. I use Project Magenta with pmSystems and have most all of the 737NG systems handled and switched. But each way of doing things needs different implementation methods for your cockpit switch connections.

In other words there's no single answer. You need to work from WHAT you can actually do with the aircraft model you have chosen. Then find out how to operate those functions. THEN seek the ways of doing that from external controls like switches.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete!

Thank you for responding so quickly, and I am sorry for not mentioning which version I want to use.

I have used FSX for two years, but have now switched to FS9 because the framerates are so much better. So mainly - my simulator will be

based on FS9.

You ask which buttons are simulated? All of them can be clicked on, but I dont no if they have any influence on the airplane. Good question.

I guess I can use dummy switches for many of these (just to have something to move when doing checklists).

I will take a closer look this afternoon, and get back to you and tell you exactly what I need. Thank you for your patient and replies.

Best regards,

Tom Arild Hansen

Hi Pete,

When you say:

What functions are simulated in the aircraft you use?

I understand that these are functions operated by any switch in the panels or button combination. Am I right?

I am now reading your user and advanced user manual in detail and trying to find out the way to assign buttons in my CH Throttle Quadrant to functions mainly in the Sperry autopilot of the MAAM DC3; for example: Sperry ON/OFF, increase or decrease the bank angle, headings and climb/descent attitude, but it appears not to be a direct or immediate assignment.

Best regards,

Lluís

You ask which buttons are simulated? All of them can be clicked on, but I dont no if they have any influence on the airplane. Good question.

I guess I can use dummy switches for many of these (just to have something to move when doing checklists).

For those which actually do something, use FSUIPC's Event logging to see if clicking the buttons actually produce any FS controls. If so you can assign to those controls to do the same thing.

If not, then the functions may be internal to the aircraft model. Check to see if there's any other way than the mouse that the aircraft maker has provided. Sometimes they allow keyboard short-cuts. If so you can assign buttons and switches to those.

If they are only susceptible to mouse operation you may be out of luck, but you can first try using the "mouse macro" facilities in FSUIPC, and if that fails, list the L:vars and see if manipulating those will work. Both these options depend entirely on how the gauges in the aircraft were written.

There's a control you can assign to Log L:vars, or you can use a supplied Lua plug-in to give real-time on-screen updates of them as they change.

When you say:

"What functions are simulated in the aircraft you use?"

I understand that these are functions operated by any switch in the panels or button combination. Am I right?

It looked like you were making a list of everything in the aircraft. Many aircraft models made for FS do have pretty cockpit pictures with all the knobs and switches, but that doesn't always mean they all do anything. If they just go click and change aspect then there's not really any point in trying to make anything happen when you operate your real switch, is there?

I am now reading your user and advanced user manual in detail and trying to find out the way to assign buttons in my CH Throttle Quadrant to functions mainly in the Sperry autopilot of the MAAM DC3; for example: Sperry ON/OFF, increase or decrease the bank angle, headings and climb/descent attitude, but it appears not to be a direct or immediate assignment.

If they've implemented their own autopilot, completely avoiding all of the FS autopilot facilities, there is no point in reading anything in the FSUIPC documentation because it won't know anything about their peculiar implementation. how could it?

If you've tried using the standard FS A/P controls on it and they don't work, then this may be a waste of time, but first always just try enabling event logging in FSUIPC's Logging tab, operating the switches, and see if any FS controls result.

If not you may be lucky with mouse macros or L:vars, but if none of these work you would either need to resort to something like "Key2Mouse" to program keypresses to move and click the mouse, then assign buttons to those keypresses, or give up and get an aircraft which has more provisions for using hardware.

Key2Mouse is not my program, it is by Luciano Napolitano.

Regards

Pete