The simFlight Network Forums

.INI files

Pete

Sorry if this is a bit off FSUIPC topic. I need to know how .ini files work in FS9. Are they used to set parameters OR do they simply reflect parameters set by a .cfg or .exe or .gau etc file somewhere else.

In other words, if I change some values in an .ini file and then re-run FS9, will the program generate another .ini file which ignores my changes? I hope this makes sense.

John

I need to know how .ini files work in FS9. Are they used to set parameters OR do they simply reflect parameters set by a .cfg or .exe or .gau etc file somewhere else.

INI files and CFG files are the same beast. The are what Windows calls "Private Profiles" and are most easily accessed using special Windows API's which also dictate their structure into [sections] and parametername=value lines.

They have been deprecated by Microsoft since Windows NT days. They'd prefer everyone to put all of this stuff into the Registry. I don't like that because it is less directly checkable and accessible to ordinary users, it is more difficult to do things like move to other PCs without complex uninstalls and re-installs, and so on.

FS itself tends to use "CFG" ratherr than "INI", but in general most programs, including FS, tend to read the INI/CFG files once, when they load up, and save everything back at the end, before they close. with FS9 and FSX you would notice this because most settings if changed and FS later crashes instead of terminating properly, those changes don't get saved. However, this isn't always the case. FSUIPC reads and re-writes its INI settings when you enter and leave its options, and in fact includes options for re-reading many sections in those options.

In other words, if I change some values in an .ini file and then re-run FS9, will the program generate another .ini file which ignores my changes?

No. If you change them when FS isn't running, they'll be read and used (if valid) when it runs. Of course if they are invalid it will probably revert to default vlaues and you'll lose your changes.

Pete