The simFlight Network Forums

Is it possible to program Thrustmaster MFD's through FSUIPC?

HI , I am have a limited abiliy of programming. I have a set of the thrustmaster MFD's. These come with various preset profiles for FSX, but I wanted to have them operate as they do in the Cockpit of the F-16 - IE pressing the button on the MFD on the desk performs the same function as pressing the button with my mouse in the cockpit MFD.

If there was key commands for the OSB's in FSX, this would be easy, i could just manually programme each button. I have looked in the FSUIPC supplied list of FSX keyboarrd commands and can see that the G1000 GPS has its buttons mapped to key presses, but could not see any other sectuions that loked helpful.

My logic is that it must be possible, after all, how does FSX interpret the mouse click on the button in the cockpit?

Is this possible using FSUIPC? Or will the software only work with the pre set FSX key presses. Can you add extra key presses functions to the blank areas in the list?

How do get to see all of the availbale presses within FSUIPC?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks Mark

I have a set of the thrustmaster MFD's.

I don't know what those are.

... I wanted to have them operate as they do in the Cockpit of the F-16 - IE pressing the button on the MFD on the desk performs the same function as pressing the button with my mouse in the cockpit MFD.

Does this F16 have controls or keyboard shortcuts for what you want to do? Do these MFDs send joystick buttons?

If there was key commands for the OSB's in FSX, this would be easy, i could just manually programme each button. I have looked in the FSUIPC supplied list of FSX keyboarrd commands and can see that the G1000 GPS has its buttons mapped to key presses, but could not see any other sectuions that loked helpful.

For which aircraft actions? The FSUIPC drop-down lists for FS include every possible control provided in FS, plus some extras added by FSUIPC. But there is no way it can provide a list of specific aircraft controls invented or added by third party add-on aircraft. How is it to know these or predict them?

My logic is that it must be possible, after all, how does FSX interpret the mouse click on the button in the cockpit?

It simply sends a Mouse click message to whatever software owns the place you click -- same as any other windows program (or Apple O/S prograsm for that matter). How it is used depends on the program -- in this case the add-on aircraft graphic gauges.

Is this possible using FSUIPC?

If the F16 is programmed using the standard Microsoft C/C++ gauge programming SDK in a standard way then the mouse macro facilities might work -- you'd have to try them to find out. Alternatively they might be using "Local Gauge Variables" or "L:Vars" to control things, in which can you might be able to construct macros to drive these -- there are facilities provided in FSUIPC to get a list of L:Vars for the current aircraft.

All these things are described in the FSUIPC documentation, but what will work with any third party software is anyone's guess - except maybe the makers of the aircraft who are probably the first folks to ask.

Can you add extra key presses functions to the blank areas in the list?

Who would program these? What would they do? There's no magic in programming, it is hard work. You have to know what to do and how to do it.

How do get to see all of the availbale presses within FSUIPC?

Presses of what? Button presses are shown in the Buttons & Switches tab, and KeyPresses are programmed in the Keys tab. What else would you expect?

Any help would be appreciated, thanks Mark

Have you tried support for this F16, whoever and wherever it may be?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete, they are these : http://www.thrustmaster.com/product.aspatformID=5

The F-16 is the Iris pro F-16 and as far as I can tell, it does not have keyboard shortcuts. The buttons on the MFD's are programmable like any other joystick buttons, although they do not come with any programming software.

From what you say, it sounds like the cockpit is coded within the gauge file. Thats way to complex for me. I was wondering how easy it would be, but it sounds tricky. I have no programming knowledge, I am just a layman user, self taught.

I asked about seeing all the key presses, as I did not think all of them showed in the drop downs in FSUIPC compared to the list in the documents section, but I am obviously mistaken there. I thought that FSUIPC would be the place to start in my quest, as it is THE programming interface for FSX.

I'll get my coat.......

From what you say, it sounds like the cockpit is coded within the gauge file. Thats way to complex for me. I was wondering how easy it would be, but it sounds tricky. I have no programming knowledge, I am just a layman user, self taught.

Rightjust the same as most FS users and I wouldn't have assumed otherwise. Why not justsee if just following the instructions for mouse macros give any results. They might. They have for many other 'layman users'.

The L:var method is a little trickier and less likely to work in any case.

Also use the Search here for other F16 -related posts. I think there was another not long ago.

I asked about seeing all the key presses, as I did not think all of them showed in the drop downs in FSUIPC compared to the list in the documents section, but I am obviously mistaken there.

If you mean controls rather than keypresses (as there's no drop-down list of keypresses like 'A', 'B', 'C' etc, no need for one), then I'm not sure which "documents section" you mean, but there will be a document entitled "List of FSxxx controls" included in the documents installed with FSUIPC. That contains all of the FS controls available in that version of FS -- all of those are in the dropdowns, as well as many others added by FSUIPC (listed in the Advanced Users guide).

I thought that FSUIPC would be the place to start in my quest, as it is THE programming interface for FSX.

Yes, but you aren't a programmer and aren't out to use its programming facilities. ;-) However, the control assignment facilities are far in excess of what you can do in FS alone.

I'll get my coat.......

Sorry, I'm not sure of the relevance of that? Care to expand?

Regards

Pete

I'll get my coat.......

Sorry, I'm not sure of the relevance of that? Care to expand?

Just my attempt at humour... (Do you remember a show called "the fast Show") I dont know if its intentional or not Pete, and I appreciate that you must get tired of people asking "stupid" questions, but both times I have asked for help here , I have come away feeling that I am being spoken to in a patronising and condescending way.

I am a paying customer of yours and you have to remember that what seems obvious to you as ( an obvious extremely clever guy ) who wrote the programme, is not quite so clear to people like myself. There are degrees of understanding and ability with using this stuff in your customers.

BTW, A search using "F-16" and "Iris Pro F-16" yielded zero results unfortunately.

Cheers, Mark

I appreciate that you must get tired of people asking "stupid" questions

The only stupid questions are those that should have been asked but weren't!

but both times I have asked for help here , I have come away feeling that I am being spoken to in a patronising and condescending way.

Really? I'm sorry you don't like my style, but I write in the same way always, just trying to be factual, the same as in the documentation. Please point out the precise places in which you feel I wasn't trying to be explanatory and helpful so I can understand how you get such a mistaken impression. I'm genuinely curious. I just can't see it.

If everyone were like you, misunderstanding replies where I only try to be helpful, I'd stop all support right now and close down the Forum. I don't need to do so much, you know. Check out how much support you get from many other producers.

I am a paying customer of yours

Oh, that old favourite again. Didn't you pay for FS? Didn't you pay for your F-16? How much help do you get from those producers? Do you think you are being so nice now? I was trying to help, the best I can. Why do I deserve this?

And "paying" or not, I've always tried to help folks in the same way, for the 12+ years I've been supplying freeware and only more recently payware. There are threads here from all sorts. Paying customers don't get preferential treatment in replies, I reply to whatever questions there are.

... and you have to remember that what seems obvious to you as ( an obvious extremely clever guy ) who wrote the programme, is not quite so clear to people like myself. There are degrees of understanding and ability with using this stuff in your customers.

Of course, and that is why I answer questions, fast and always, with the facts as I know them and/or pointers to where to get more. I really don't see how I could possibly do any better. I am NOT an expert on every add-on for FS and don't actually have many add-on aircraft. I prefer to become proficient at one or two. I know nothing of any F16 add-on, nor how it is written. The best folks to advise on how to use an add-on are those who wrote it. I couldn't even hazard a guess, but can really only point out the two or three different ways FSUIPC might (and it is only a "might") be able to help -- and that is exactly what I did if you read it again!

BTW, A search using "F-16" and "Iris Pro F-16" yielded zero results unfortunately.

Hmm. I found some for F16, but dating back years and obviously not related to your version. Strange. I wonder where I saw it mentioned recently? Sorry, at my age I think the little gray cells start fading ...

Pete

Unbelievable......

If I treated my customers with the same disdain you do, I would be out of business in weeks. I am not misunderstanding replies, you are talking down to me.

I am not going to argue anymore, you are a talented computer programmer, but you need to learn something about dealing with people. I tried to explain nicely and with some humour that I was a little offended by your style and you make out its all down to me....

Dont worry, I wont bother coming here for support again, which I am sure wont trouble you.

To be fair Mark I think it is you that is being a little over sensitive, Peter really doesn't have to answer half of the stuff that is on this forum, but he always does to the best of his ability and in a very timely manner. You have only got to look at his post count to see how helpful he really is. How's about you give the guy a break and calm down, after all this is entertainment product support we are talking about here and not a civil service.