The simFlight Network Forums

sensitivity settings

Hi Pete

Please could you help if you can. . . I have the g940 joystick and have made a extension between the base and the joystick to more resemble a helicopter cyclic . . . looks really cool however now with the sensitivity set to max in both the profiler and the game which is FSX.

the joystick still is not sensitive enough any help offered on how to make the sensitivity more other than in the game and controller software

post-39178-128689723481_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

the joystick still is not sensitive enough any help offered on how to make the sensitivity more other than in the game and controller software

Try calibrating in FSUIPC and setting the slope you desire for the areas you want more "sensitive".

Not that the notion of "sensitivity" is ambiguous. It could be used to refer to the amount of movement you get in the real surface for movement of the stick (more being more "twitchy", less "controllable") or the reverse, fine adjustability for more positions on the stick -- a lot of stick movement for bigger changes, but more fine control or surface "sensitivity".

One is represented by slopes with a flattish centre and the other by slopes with a steeply sloping centre.

Pete

Try calibrating in FSUIPC and setting the slope you desire for the areas you want more "sensitive".

Not that the notion of "sensitivity" is ambiguous. It could be used to refer to the amount of movement you get in the real surface for movement of the stick (more being more "twitchy", less "controllable") or the reverse, fine adjustability for more positions on the stick -- a lot of stick movement for bigger changes, but more fine control or surface "sensitivity".

One is represented by slopes with a flattish centre and the other by slopes with a steeply sloping centre.

Pete

Hi pete . . . really sorry but you gonna need to explain pont for point what i should do to make the movements of the joystick smaller but still getting a true feel of control in the helicopter so if you could just explain what i need to do do i have to down load your software if so once i get it what do i do

please help if you can

paul

Hi pete . . . really sorry but you gonna need to explain pont for point what i should do to make the movements of the joystick smaller but still getting a true feel of control in the helicopter so if you could just explain what i need to do do i have to down load your software if so once i get it what do i do

I cannot explain more here than is already done at great length in the User Guide. Just go to the chapter on Calibration and follow the steps outlined. It is pointless and stupid reproducing documentation here which you already have installed on your PC after installing FSUIPC.

As for "feel" that's a matter of trial and error -- it's a personal thing as the controls we use in simulation are really nothing much like the real thing as far as "feel" is concerned.. There are about 30 different response curves provided (under the term "slopes") so i'm sure one will meet your needs.

Pete

I cannot explain more here than is already done at great length in the User Guide. Just go to the chapter on Calibration and follow the steps outlined. It is pointless and stupid reproducing documentation here which you already have installed on your PC after installing FSUIPC.

As for "feel" that's a matter of trial and error -- it's a personal thing as the controls we use in simulation are really nothing much like the real thing as far as "feel" is concerned.. There are about 30 different response curves provided (under the term "slopes") so i'm sure one will meet your needs.

Pete

ok thanks , , , so which FSUIPC must I down load? I down loaded FSUIPC4.zip is that right should I just install that and take it from there?

ok thanks , , , so which FSUIPC must I down load? I down loaded FSUIPC4.zip is that right should I just install that and take it from there?

FSUIPC3 is for FS9 and before (right back to FS98 and CFS1), whilst FSUIPC4 is for FSX, ESP and Prepar3D.

If you want to use FSUIPC for calibration (or any other user features) you would also need to purchase a registration key. Instructions are in the User Guide too. Without registration FSUIPC reverts to its original purpose only, that of interfacing applications to FS.

Pete

Hi Pete . . . thanks ye went online and bought the software and was given a customer id 187211 they said the key would be sent to me once only via email

but as yet hav nt seen any responce is there something im doing wrong?

They do not send the key via email, please log into your Sim-Market account and click on the "My Orders" button, then click on the FSUIPC order and the key will be displayed.

Keys should never be sent via email as its not a secure form of communication, anyone with time and the right tools can intercept your email while its in transit.

Hi Pete

Please could you help if you can. . . I have the g940 joystick and have made a extension between the base and the joystick to more resemble a helicopter cyclic . . . looks really cool however now with the sensitivity set to max in both the profiler and the game which is FSX.

Hi there andy . . . thanks bud found it and also a big thanks pete joystick much better

paul

• 1 month later...

Hi Pete . . . could you please try shed some light on a prob im having my system is a i7 six core pro X58 ud7 mobo and when i started out i was running win7 32bit which as you know only saw 4gigs of my 6gigs of ram so i changed the os to 64bit prob is i had my fsx working so well but after trying to put it all back the same i now have one or two probs

one being when i first loaded FUIPC4 on my old sys i could make button pushes with the mouse in dodosim but now after putting everything back this is not working anymore any idea`s what im doing wrong also in dodosim the thottle is mapped to the idle button and now the throttle travels all the way and no longer stops against the idle stop

paul

... when i first loaded FUIPC4 on my old sys i could make button pushes with the mouse in dodosim but now after putting everything back this is not working anymore any idea`s what im doing wrong

There's never been any facilities in FSUIPC to "make button pushes with the mouse". I think you must be confusing different software?

also in dodosim the thottle is mapped to the idle button

I do not know what you mean by "mapping a throttle to an idle button"! What's an "idle button"? How are you mapping a throttle to it?

I've no idea what "dodosim" is, but if it's an add-on aircraft, please always tests things with a default aircraft first.

[LATER]

I just Googled "dodosim" and found it is an add-on helicopter. Do helicopters have "idle" buttons? What do they do, and how are you mapping a throttle to one?

and now the throttle travels all the way and no longer stops against the idle stop

Do you mean that you've broken your throttle lever? Otherwise I'm afraid you'll have to explain yourself a little more. Perhaps you mean you need to re-calibrate? Have you tried to do so?

Note that changing from a 32- to a 64-bit operating system in no way affects anything in FSUIPC. If you wanted to retain your FSUIPC settings all you needed to do was preserve your FSUIPC4.INI file which contains them all, plus of course any macro files and Lua plug-ins you may have created .

Regards

Pete

The Dodosim helo is a highly modified aircraft, Pete - pretty much everything on it is hard-coded to the panel and VC model. It ignores huge amounts of FS code and pretty much rewrites the helicopter flight model in gauge form.

However, as detailed in the Dodosim manual, all of the extra controls that the Dodo 206 uses are mapped to FSX functions - for instance the idle release latch is "Smoke system on/off".

One of the features is that closing the helicopter's throttle using your hardware (it's assigned to the pitch control axis, the same as the default helicopter models) should stop at an idle gate, about 6% throttle, rather than just shutting down the engine. Pressing an "idle release latch" on the collective lever clicks the throttle through from the idle stop to shutdown. I would assume from the post you quoted that Paul's hardware lever, when closed, is ignoring this idle gate and clicking straight through to shut the engine down. In the Dodosim, that's bad as shutting down the engine without allowing it to cool at idle setting will break it and cause a lot of virtual money's damage.

I'll calibrate my stick using FSUIPC a bit later and see how it behaves regarding the idle stop. I normally have my stick assigned to the the throttle and pitch axes using FSX default assignments and they work fine (I use a Saitek Cyborg X, without the Saitek software installed, for "general purpose" FS use).

Edit: I just assigned my prop pitch and calibrated it using FSUIPC and took the Utility Dodo on floats out for a spin in the dark. The engine throttle and idle stop functionality worked exactly as per FS default settings and calibration.

Ian P.

Hi Pete . . . sorry for the confusion Yes Ian summed it up very well my throttle is not stopping at the idle release latch It is as Ian says ignoring this idle gate and clicking straight through to shut the engine down

I'll try to calibrate my stick using FSUIPC and see if somehow sorts out the idle stop

paul

One thing I did have to do, Paul, is that before starting to engine - as you should anyway - I "exercised" all the controls, moving the throttle, collective and cyclic through all extremes.

I may be wrong on this, but I thin I remember hearing the throttle "click" through the idle gate during that initial movement of all the controls. Is it possible that you're not fully initialising the aircraft's panel code before flying? Try just moving all the controls through all extents before starting the engine.

Ian P.

I think that's no longer an issue with the FSX version, Andy, although it definitely was with the FS9 one. I never have to do it, let's put it that way.

Worth trying though, if it still doesn't work... What works for one person doesn't always work for the next (dratted PCs.)

Ian P.

post-17699-0-24719500-1290917814_thumb.jHi Thanks Ian and Andy . . . .Got it all working ok think I had it configured wrong in terms of the throttle and pitch controls in FSUIPC they seem to be wrong way round and I had the one reversed and not the other if you know what I mean? So the throttle ended up working the wrong way round And you right Ian there is a clicking sound when it’s working correctly

Also I had to reset the aircraft in FSUIPC One thing I noticed in dodosim thou is if in the VC one zooms out that little to far using cont - enter the mouse button control stops working and one needs to reset the aircraft in FSUIPC

Ian do you yave your 206 configured with all the look alike controllers or are you like me still using your throttle controls as a collective have you seen these one on the net