The simFlight Network Forums

Wideview and VATSIM

Hi Pete

I'm trying to get Wideview to match the liveries of VATSIM traffic on my second machine to those on my main FSX PC. However from what I can tell Wideview uses tail numbers to uniquely identify aircraft liveries but VATSIM puts callsigns into that bit of storage instead of tail numbers so Wideview hasn't a chance of matching anything while I'm logged into VATSIM (I imagine it works fine off-line but I only fly-off line when I'm testing).

I've written some code that reads the AI aircraft title and uses it to look up the relevant tail number from the aircraft's config file but I can't figure out how to push the tail number into the AI stream. I want to be able to over-write the VATSIM callsigns with tail numbers from my main machine so that Wideview can match them up on the second machine (which has a copy of my aircraft folders).

If there's already a mechanism in FSUIPC to do this can you give me a bit more info - there's a bit about it in the programmers guide but unless I'm missing something (usually am) I can't make out how to update existing traffic details such as the tail number.

If there's nothing currently in place to do this is there any chance you'd consider adding it at some point? It's be so great to finally have VATSIM planes taxiing across the monitors of both machines in the same liveries (not to mention the same aircraft type!!!)

Many thanks for any help you can give,

Regards

Ian

I've written some code that reads the AI aircraft title and uses it to look up the relevant tail number from the aircraft's config file but I can't figure out how to push the tail number into the AI stream. I want to be able to over-write the VATSIM callsigns with tail numbers from my main machine so that Wideview can match them up on the second machine (which has a copy of my aircraft folders).

Sorry, I've no idea how to do that either. I'm not familiar with widevieW or any of the interfaces it uses.

If there's already a mechanism in FSUIPC to do this can you give me a bit more info - there's a bit about it in the programmers guide but unless I'm missing something (usually am) I can't make out how to update existing traffic details such as the tail number.

You think you should be able to change the tail number dynamically, through FSUIPC, in such a way that it somehow gets to WidevieW? Not sure how that would work.

All I know is what is written in the FSUIPC SDK. Offset 313C contains the user's tail number, and in FSX that can be written to but I've never found out whether doing so actually achieves anything. All of the AI data read by FSUIPC for TCAS type displays is read-only. I don't know of any way to change any of it.

If there's nothing currently in place to do this is there any chance you'd consider adding it at some point?

How? And how would it help WidevieW? What is it doing?

Have you asked Luciano at all? Seems more up his street, After all, he did write WidevieW.

Seems to me that WidevieW should be matching planes by aircraft title, not tail numbers -- after all that's the way virtually everything else selects aircraft by, including FS itself, and of course FSUIPC. Tail numbers aren't necessarily unique, whilst aircraft titles have to be (for menu and flight selection purposes).

Regards

Pete

Sorry, I've no idea how to do that either. I'm not familiar with widevieW or any of the interfaces it uses.

OK, too bad. Thank all the same.

You think you should be able to change the tail number dynamically, through FSUIPC, in such a way that it somehow gets to WidevieW? Not sure how that would work.

Nope, Wideview reads the tailnumbers and uses them to match up the liveries, I'm just interested in feeding it the data it's expecting

All of the AI data read by FSUIPC for TCAS type displays is read-only. I don't know of any way to change any of it.

Ah, rats. OK. That is bad news from this perspective.

How? And how would it help WidevieW? What is it doing?

See previous reply

Have you asked Luciano at all? Seems more up his street, After all, he did write WidevieW.

Of course. I'm asking you this stuff so that I'm better equipped to continue my conversation with him.

Seems to me that WidevieW should be matching planes by aircraft title, not tail numbers -- after all that's the way virtually everything else selects aircraft by, including FS itself, and of course FSUIPC. Tail numbers aren't necessarily unique, whilst aircraft titles have to be (for menu and flight selection purposes).

Interesting point - I'll pass it to Luciano.

Ian