The simFlight Network Forums

JoyNames

Hi Pete

I just noticed this recently in my .ini file. Previously just the CH hardware was listed, but now there are the "GUID" entries too!

It does not seem to affect the functioning of FSUIPC at all, but I am curious.

Using FS9.1 and FSUIPC 3.989y

[JoyNames]

AutoAssignLetters=No

1=CH PRO PEDALS USB

1.GUID={E6F73050-E0B7-11DE-8008-444553540000}

0=CH FLIGHT SIM YOKE USB

0.GUID={235984B0-E0E7-11DE-8002-444553540000}

2=CH THROTTLE QUADRANT

2.GUID={235984B0-E0E7-11DE-8001-444553540000}

Peter

I just noticed this recently in my .ini file. Previously just the CH hardware was listed, but now there are the "GUID" entries too!

It does not seem to affect the functioning of FSUIPC at all, but I am curious.

In that case please read the chapter in the User Guide entitled

Keeping track of multiple control devices

and all would become clear. Alternatively you could have simply searched for "Joynames" in the document.

Regards

Pete

If you do ANY complex joystick button/switch programming in FSUIPC4 or have

a lot of aircraft specific setups, I HIGHLY suggest that you set the option

"AutoAssignLetters=No" to "AutoAssignLetters=Yes" instead.

It will save you a ton of grief should you intentionally or unintentionally

disconnect one of your controllers or add/change them. It will also come

in handy should you decide to migrate from WinXp to Win7.

Having the FSUIPC4 tied to the letter assignments instead of the Windows

reporting order will keep your setups intact should that reporting order

change due to those factors mentioned above.

I say this from first hand experience!

Paul

Thanks for the replies.

I had never noticed the GUID entries in the .ini file before, perhaps I was just unobservant !

I have changed the numbers 1 2 3 to letters R Y and T for each pair of entries , and thus left the "AutoAssignLetters=No" unchanged ..... is that correct ?

I sometimes run FS9 with only the rudder connected (reason below *). I assume this wont cause a problem. When I want to run FS9 with all three hardware connected I usually plug in the yoke and TQ (rudder always plugged in) before turning the computer on. Will my method of assigning letters R Y and T be ok or would I be better using "AutoAssignLetters=Yes" instead ?

* When not flightsimming I dont want my TQ and yoke on my desk, so remove them. The rudders dont get in my way so I leave them plugged in. I might start FS9 while in this configuration to update AI or scenery for example.

Peter

I had never noticed the GUID entries in the .ini file before, perhaps I was just unobservant !

GUIDs weren't always added. I found I needed more precise identification because some folks have several identical devices with the same name.

I have changed the numbers 1 2 3 to letters R Y and T for each pair of entries , and thus left the "AutoAssignLetters=No" unchanged ..... is that correct ?

Yes, for letters you choose for yourself. If you simply changed the Auto option then FSUIPC would have have assigned A, B, C. Hopefully R Y T are more meaningful to you.

I sometimes run FS9 with only the rudder connected (reason below *). I assume this wont cause a problem. When I want to run FS9 with all three hardware connected I usually plug in the yoke and TQ (rudder always plugged in) before turning the computer on. Will my method of assigning letters R Y and T be ok or would I be better using "AutoAssignLetters=Yes" instead ?

You should be fine with whatever letters you want. The Auto option was only for those not wanting to be bothered. Without Auto if you add a new device you'll need to assign letters again yourself. With auto it's just plug-and-go but you then have to put up with FSUIPC's choice of letters.

Regards

Pete