The simFlight Network Forums

FSUIPC4 ini ISSUES

I just put in a SSD (solid state disk drive) to attempt to speed up everything.

I can boot from either the SSD or my previous HDD so I can compare and transfer files to facilitate the setup.

I tried to clone the drive, but as my system was dual boot, it failed and failed...

So I have reinstalled all the programs on the SSD which is remarkably fast (FSX & Accelerator took < 5 minutes between them to install!!!)

My SIM is a helicopter cockpit and I also have a lot of peripherals, about 50 switches, 80 lamps/leds, 8 axis encoders for the cyclic (x2) collective, pedal and throttle controls which I have painstakingly programmed and it flys great; I just wanted to try the speed of the SSD.

Well when I copy the FSUIPC4.ini file from the HDD to the SSD, the controls and switches are completely different.

The changes are between a single reboot, booting the HDD and then the SDD. Also the FSUIPC display is slightly different on the SSD boot and HDD boot. When opening the FSUIPC in FSX, the top "TABS" have a different layout.

Also the USB assignments are different between the 2 boot drives. The SIOC the IDXs are 96 & 79 on the SSD boot, but on the HDD boot they are 235 & 199. Very strange.

This is something neither my husband, friends nor I have never seen before. Hardware is hardware. But the different boot drive with the same version of and updates of the OS and obviously no changes in hardware between the boots, are producing different Device codes.

Am resisting changing the programming but will probably have to as I think Pete is out of the loop until the 15th of March.

Thanks to anyone who has some ideas.

CopterGirl

Systems:

1) EVGA motherboard x58 i7 w/ 12gb memory

2) EVGA motherboard Quad 4 w/ 8gb memory

Display cards:

2x 570,(outputs to 60"led, 30" LED)

2x 98001gb, (Outputs to 2 HP 24" lcd & 2 Fuji 17" lcd)

2x 8800 (output to VGA adapter for 7" monitor)

1 MIMO 7" w/ USB interface

Interfaces:

OpenCockpit USB/Parellel interface,

2 USB Outputs,

2 USB Masters,

2 Display cards,

FSIUPC4 w/ 08/2011 DLL.

WidevieW.

SOIC

I just put in a SSD (solid state disk drive) to attempt to speed up everything.

-SNIP-

Well when I copy the FSUIPC4.ini file from the HDD to the SSD, the controls and switches are completely different.

The changes are between a single reboot, booting the HDD and then the SDD. Also the FSUIPC display is slightly different on the SSD boot and HDD boot. When opening the FSUIPC in FSX, the top "TABS" have a different layout.

Also the USB assignments are different between the 2 boot drives. The SIOC the IDXs are 96 & 79 on the SSD boot, but on the HDD boot they are 235 & 199. Very strange.

-SNIP-

Thanks to anyone who has some ideas.

CopterGirl

-SNIP-

You should change the following line in the FSUIPC4.ini

[JoyNames]

AutoAssignLetters=No <------- change that to Yes

Windows is most likely reporting the USB devices differently in the two system configurations.

When FSUIPC gets the Windows input it assigns a number based on the order the devices are reported.

This causes any programming to become non-functional if the reporting order is different than when

the functions were programmed originally.

By allowing FSUIPC to assign LETTERS to the devices, based upon the reported GUID's, the programming is now

linked to those GUID's and not dependent upon the Windows reporting order.

I had this problem when I created a dual-boot WinXp/Win7 system. I had to go back and let FSUIPC

assign letters to my working Xp install. I then transferred those same letter assignments to the

Win7 FSUIPC4.ini

Here are the two JoyNames sections from Xp and then Win7 on my system for reference and to demonstrate

the problem:

//------ Xp ---------

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=Yes
1=USB  ADAPTOR
2=Saitek X45 Flight Controller USB
0=Saitek Pro Flight Quadrant
3=Saitek Pro Flight Yoke

0.GUID={290642A0-830A-11DC-8002-444553540000}
1.GUID={2E3BCC00-678E-11DC-8001-444553540000}
2.GUID={48910F70-888F-11DD-8001-444553540000}
3.GUID={290642A0-830A-11DC-8001-444553540000}

A=Saitek Pro Flight Quadrant
A.GUID={290642A0-830A-11DC-8002-444553540000}
B=USB  ADAPTOR
B.GUID={2E3BCC00-678E-11DC-8001-444553540000}
C=Saitek X45 Flight Controller USB
C.GUID={48910F70-888F-11DD-8001-444553540000}
D=Saitek Pro Flight Yoke
D.GUID={290642A0-830A-11DC-8001-444553540000}

//------- Win7 --------

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=Yes
0=USB  ADAPTOR
1=Saitek Pro Flight Yoke
2=Saitek Pro Flight Quadrant
3=Saitek X45

0.GUID={C2624D30-8952-11DF-8009-444553540000}
1.GUID={C2624D30-8952-11DF-8007-444553540000}
2.GUID={C2624D30-8952-11DF-8008-444553540000}
3.GUID={C2624D30-8952-11DF-8006-444553540000}

A=Saitek Pro Flight Quadrant
A.GUID={C2624D30-8952-11DF-8008-444553540000}
B=USB  ADAPTOR
B.GUID={C2624D30-8952-11DF-8009-444553540000}
C=Saitek X45
C.GUID={C2624D30-8952-11DF-8006-444553540000}
D=Saitek Pro Flight Yoke
D.GUID={C2624D30-8952-11DF-8007-444553540000}

Note that the assigned numbers and GUID's are different in

each of the above sections but by making the same letter assignments

to the same devices in each INI, the same programming will work

in either setup.

Just insure that the letters assigned in the "working" setup

are used for the same devices in the other setup. You can edit

the INI file in any text editor to make this happen.

FSUIPC will automatically replace the numerical references in the

programming with the letters assigned in the JoyNames section.

Paul

Thanks Paul.

I had tried something similar by copying over the [JOYSTICK] assignments, but that

didn't work either. Another issue is that some of the assignments are not "sticking"

I go into FSUIPC and set the elevator to be fore/aft movement of the cyclic.

It sows up but when I go to the sim, the control doesn't move. Again if I go to the HDD

boot, all is great. I have checked that the .dll is the 8/2010 version and copied most of

the FSX directory from the HDD to the SSD, with still no joy.

Very puzzling, but I will try your suggestion.

Any ideas about FSUIPC not saving or acting upon the axis input?

Thanks

CG..

Thanks Paul.

I had tried something similar by copying over the [JOYSTICK] assignments, but that

didn't work either. Another issue is that some of the assignments are not "sticking"

I go into FSUIPC and set the elevator to be fore/aft movement of the cyclic.

It sows up but when I go to the sim, the control doesn't move. Again if I go to the HDD

boot, all is great. I have checked that the .dll is the 8/2010 version and copied most of

the FSX directory from the HDD to the SSD, with still no joy.

Very puzzling, but I will try your suggestion.

Any ideas about FSUIPC not saving or acting upon the axis input?

Thanks

CG..

This process is easier done than explained in text :)

If you "copy over" your INI file, make sure you do the "AutoAssignLetters=Yes" change on the working

INI file and then run your WORKING system and verify that everything "took" with letter assignments.

Make a copy of the INI file before making the change. You will use this in the new configuration

to get the "JoyNames" assignments that are made there with the letter assignments.

First, on the original system configuration, make the "AutoAssignLetters=Yes" change and run FSX and

make sure all your programming is working. You should see letters now where the Joy#'s used to be

in the programming statements. We'll call that FSUIPC4.ini file "INI-REF".

Save a copy of this. We'll call this copy "INI-A" and it will become your new INI for the new configuration.

Now, Use the copy of the ORIGINAL INI file that you used BEFORE the letter assignments were made

and set "AutoAssignLetters=Yes". Put this in your Modules folder for the new configuration. Run FSX and then exit.

(If that file no longer exists on your system, then try just removing the INI file from the new

configuration and FSUIPC SHOULD create a new one with number assignments.)

Save this new INI file that should now include a section in the JoyNames entries that

have the letter assignments made. We'll call this "INI-B".

Now, in a copy of the working INI file, INI-A, replace the 'letter assignments' entries with

those from the new INI ,"INI-B". Leave the number assignments entries alone!

Now, change the LETTERS in INI-A for a given device to the same letters assigned to that

device in the woking INI file, INI-REF.

This edited INI-A can now be put in the modules folder for your new configuration and

all your programming should work.

See my example in my previous post and note that the numbers and GUID's are different

for the same-named devices but what IS common is the letter assignments.

As to the programming not "sticking", I've not seen this issue, although this sort

of behavior sounds suspiciously like permissions problems in Vista/Win7 systems but

I've not seen any posts regarding that relative to FSUIC.

Paul

Hello Paul.

That seemed to do the trick.

The issue with FSIUPC4 not remembering certain axis is still a mystery.

I would program the change, look at the .ini file and then exit FSIUPC back to FSX

The file would change and some of the axis' and not others.

I reloaded FSIUPC into a C:\FSX directory and that seemed to cure the issue.

I must say that the thing I HATE the most about Windows 7 is the permissions.

They can't keep the OS secure from hackers but prevent ME from accessing files.

Go figure.

But thanks again for the suggestion.

I doubt I would have discovered this on my own.

I dont' know if you program in SIOC/Open Cockpits.

If you do let me know as I have some rotary encoder issues I'd like to chat about.

Cheers,

Jill.

Hello Paul.

That seemed to do the trick.

-SNIP-

But thanks again for the suggestion.

I doubt I would have discovered this on my own.

I dont' know if you program in SIOC/Open Cockpits.

If you do let me know as I have some rotary encoder issues I'd like to chat about.

Cheers,

Jill.

Hi Jill. I'm glad you got things sorted out. And the Win7 over-protection issue

drives me mad at times too! I always use the right-click, run as administrator

option whenever I install anything in my Win7 installation. I also changed

the permissions on all the folders I regularly access that are outside of my

FSX directory...those in the Documents & Settings area.

I'm not familiar with SOIC/Open Cockpits but I know there are some cockpit builders

over in the A2A forums that use rotary encoders. Both the B-17G and the Spitfire

forums.

Paul

Spitfire Forum

B17G Forum

Sounds like the USB joystick IDs assigned by Windows changed. This can happen just by unplugging the USB cables and plugging them back in, so using a separate Windows install would almost certainly change them. This is why FSUIPC provides facilities for using letters to assign things rather than the Windows IDs.

Just changing disks shouldn't do that, but a different system font size or different video drivers could.

See above.

Am resisting changing the programming but will probably have to as I think Pete is out of the loop until the 15th of March.

14th actually. It is I speaking to you. ;-)

I suggest that you boot with the older system, use the joystick lettering facilities in FSUIPC (you can let it do it automatically, or choose meaningful letters for yourself), and copy the INI file over again.

Regards

Pete