The simFlight Network Forums

2 questions

Hi

I have 2 questions regarding registered FSUIPC in FS9

1. How can I make the aircraft control less sensitive? In my understanding of the manual the slope should be responsible for this. However while trying several settings, the controls are still too sensitive.

2. About smooth visibility changes, I can't see the fog below when I climb above the layer. I use Active Sky.

Thanks.

1. How can I make the aircraft control less sensitive? In my understanding of the manual the slope should be responsible for this. However while trying several settings, the controls are still too sensitive.

The word "sensitive" is ambiguous. Do you mean that the aircraft reacts excessively with small movements of the controls, or that you need to move the controls too much before the aircraft reacts?

For the former you really only want the slower reactions near the centre, the area of normal flight, so a flatter center slope is best. But when using that don't make the centre null zone too wide or you lose the advantage. The centre null zone should only be wide enough to ensure you always get the zero output whenever you let go of the controls.

If you mean the latter then you either want the linear (no slopes option) reaction, or an even steeper slope, but this is unusual. It would usually only apply to stunt aircraft and jet fighters which certainly do have a hair-trigger control system.

2. About smooth visibility changes, I can't see the fog below when I climb above the layer. I use Active Sky.

That's a problem with FS. I'm afraid FSUIPC cannot fix that. I think Active Sky does offer a method of overcoming it by using a thin cloud layer. Have you checked? It certainly cannot be done with visibility settings.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for the support, Pete. What I meant about the controls being too sensitive was that with a Boeing for ex, it rolls and pitches too violently with a small amount of yoke input, making it behavior like an acrobatic plane. I will check your suggestions.

As for the fog, I understood from the manual that FSUIPC can generate a fake fog layer:

On FS2004, the upper altitude of restricted visibility can be set by FSUIPC, for global and local weather injected by

external programs. This allows you to limit the thickness of the fog or mist layer so that when you climb out of it you get blue

skies (or fancy clouds) above and around you, but still see the mist below. It’s a really nice feature of FS2004.

Indeed AS has an option to add a cloud layer but it is not that good.

As for the fog, I understood from the manual that FSUIPC can generate a fake fog layer

No, it can't do that.

On FS2004, the upper altitude of restricted visibility can be set by FSUIPC, for global and local weather injected by

external programs. This allows you to limit the thickness of the fog or mist layer so that when you climb out of it you get blue

skies (or fancy clouds) above and around you, but still see the mist below. It’s a really nice feature of FS2004.

That's not a fake layer, that, as it clearly says, is merely the upper altitude of the reduced visibility. Before Active Sky and its fancy facilities the visibility being set often applied all the way up. This FSUIPC facility enforced an upper altitude, that's all.

A lot of folks found the effect noticeably odd, especially around hills, where the fog runs to a sharp delineated edge where the hills appear out of it.

I think this only applied to pretty dense layers, but I have difficulty remembering as I've not used FS9 for over 6 years now, and my little gray cells are fading away with age. Maybe asking around in the FS2004 Forum will elicit some advice.

Indeed AS has an option to add a cloud layer but it is not that good.

But i think that was added as the solution.

Regards

Pete