The simFlight Network Forums

Different scenery profiles

Hi Pete,

I want to load special scenery.cfg's for different FSX-YYY.cfg's. Your "profile" feature in FSUIPC could be a good container for my requirement.

Let me explain my requirement in more detail:

For performance issues in FSX, I store the current "C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX\Scenery.CFG", then I disable some scenery entries in scenery.cfg, save the changed file as e.g. "scenery_heli.cfg" for later usage and start then my FSX by starting e.g. my FSX_HELI.CFG by calling "fsx_heli.exe". I am using your excellent FSUIPC feature for multiple INI files.

So I don't know whether it's possible to load the scenery.cfg by a different filename. This could be done by a different FSUIPC profile ???

Please give me an advise as you did in the years before :-).

thanks and

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Alhard

You submitted a support query to the Download Links subforum, which is where I provide links to updates and other goodies. Please use this Support Forum for questions. You are lucky I noticed your post.

So I don't know whether it's possible to load the scenery.cfg by a different filename. This could be done by a different FSUIPC profile ???

No, I know no way of doing that. The scenery file is loaded long before anything can be done by FSUIPC. All you can do is run some sort of batch file before FS to rename your assorted SCENERY.CFG files.

Note that even having different users doesn't work with scenery, as the SCENERY.CFG is global for all users, unlike the main FS CFG file. There's a good reason for that. Each time there's a change in the SCENERY list, FS has to generate new indices in each scenery library.

Regards

Pete

Yes, that is something that has been bugging me for some time as well.

I wonder if one of the umpteen developers who make little programs that do useful things could make us one that allows us to save, restore, create blank and copy scenery.cfg files in a controlled way?

(It's not a problem for those of us who know our way around Windows, but a lot of people don't show file extensions, let alone know how to change them safely.)

Hmm... I might prod a few people about that.

Ian P.

I wonder if one of the umpteen developers who make little programs that do useful things could make us one that allows us to save, restore, create blank and copy scenery.cfg files in a controlled way?

There are two programs available which may fit the bill:

Scenery Config Editor by Andrew & John Thornton, AVSIM file sceneryconfgeditorv1.0.7.zip

and one which looks like it could be made to do things properly, except that I can't make it work at all:

MH's FS Scenery Configurator V2.0 by Michael Heise, AVSIM file: fsscncfg20.zip

I use the former one a lot for renumber layers, to keep everything tidy after adding new stuff.

Regards

Pete

As much as I love the flags, I think I'll look into the programs that Pete has suggested.

The ultimate plan is to try and backdate as much of the UK as possible to its pre-1960s condition, so multiple scenery.cfg files are just part of the problem. It'll also need a couple of other files (autogen, vehicles) to be modified as well.

Plans don't always go as, well, planned. Having multiple scenery sets that allow use of the UK2000 Xtreme sceneries, the ACG Duxford and suchlike in a modern setting, but then drop back to my WW2 sceneries without the modern ones when that's preferred, is a good start though.

Anyway, that's getting off topic, so I'll shut up for a bit.

Ian P.

You submitted a support query to the Download Links subforum, which is where I provide links to updates and other goodies. Please use this Support Forum for questions. You are lucky I noticed your post.

No, I know no way of doing that. The scenery file is loaded long before anything can be done by FSUIPC. All you can do is run some sort of batch file before FS to rename your assorted SCENERY.CFG files.

Note that even having different users doesn't work with scenery, as the SCENERY.CFG is global for all users, unlike the main FS CFG file. There's a good reason for that. Each time there's a change in the SCENERY list, FS has to generate new indices in each scenery library.

Regards

Pete

Thanks Pete, I apologize, I wasn't aware that I was in the wrong forum. How can I move my topic?

Thanks for your response. I assumed that the only way to solve my requirement is by batch files, as proposed by you and in one of the later responses to my topic.

Thanks again

Regards

Alhard