The simFlight Network Forums

FlightSim Commander GPS connection

Hello,

I'm totally new to FSUIPC: I was not aware of its existence until 2 weeks ago: for now, I've installed the unregistered release, just to have the recently purchased FSC9.1 to connect with FSX

the FSC support pointed me here: I'm experiencing unavailability of GPS connection to FSX, yet only after a reload (intercontinental route); FSC does not seem to be corrupted, as GPS connection works correctly with new flights; moreover, FSX connection with other registered addons (Active Sky Evolution, SupertrafficBoard) shows no faults

thence I'm asking here, please, for suggestions, hopefully...

thanks

the FSC support pointed me here: I'm experiencing unavailability of GPS connection to FSX, yet only after a reload (intercontinental route); FSC does not seem to be corrupted, as GPS connection works correctly with new flights; moreover, FSX connection with other registered addons (Active Sky Evolution, SupertrafficBoard) shows no faults

Sorry, I am confused. What has "GPS connection" got to do with FSC? And what are "new flights" compared with whatever else you use? I'm not sure how any of this relates to FSUIPC at the moment. Why did FSC support point you here?

Regards

Pete

Hello Pete,

"GPS" connection is a function of FSC that allows to follow on its map the ongoing FSX flight

I was not "pointed" here intentionally by them, but after reading in the reply "We do not know what effect the reload has to the FSUIPC. And the FSC receive the data from there.", I thought to ask here for hints

by "new flights" I mean that when I create a new flight, FSC9 connects regularly (through FSUIPC, I suppose) and my plane (and air traffic as well) is shown on its map, when I reload a flight, it does not connect and no plane is shown

"GPS" connection is a function of FSC that allows to follow on its map the ongoing FSX flight

Ah, it's just reading the aircraft position through FSUIPC. FSUIPC does support GPS data outputs too, for moving maps, hence the confusion.

So you simply mean that FSC is not connecting to FSUIPC? Does it say so? Most programs which connect to FSUIPC produce an error message if the connection fails.

by "new flights" I mean that when I create a new flight, FSC9 connects regularly (through FSUIPC, I suppose) and my plane (and air traffic as well) is shown on its map, when I reload a flight, it does not connect and no plane is shown

Strange. FSUIPC doesn't do anything particular when you load a flight. I cannot imagine why FSC should lose its connection. Maybe your system is taking so long reading the files on the flight load that FSUIPC is not able to respond in time to FSC, and it times out. But then it should either come up with an error message, or simply re-try. When FSUIPC cannot continue because of FS disk activity and so on it signals "not ready", and programs connecting to it should then allow much more time for a response. I don't know if FSC does this.

I've not heard of any other users with any similar problems, so it does sound like something up with your specific installation. Check the FSUIPC log after such an occurrence to see if it is reporting any problems.

Pete

So you simply mean that FSC is not connecting to FSUIPC? Does it say so? Most programs which connect to FSUIPC produce an error message if the connection fails.

no specific FSUIPC message, only the above mentioned one from FSC9

Strange. FSUIPC doesn't do anything particular when you load a flight. I cannot imagine why FSC should lose its connection. Maybe your system is taking so long reading the files on the flight load that FSUIPC is not able to respond in time to FSC, and it times out. But then it should either come up with an error message, or simply re-try. When FSUIPC cannot continue because of FS disk activity and so on it signals "not ready", and programs connecting to it should then allow much more time for a response. I don't know if FSC does this.

as a matter of fact, my reloading takes, in this case, more than a minute (PMDG long haul KIAH - EDDF), nevertheless I always tried to connect FSC9 only after the reload has gone fine

I've not heard of any other users with any similar problems, so it does sound like something up with your specific installation. Check the FSUIPC log after such an occurrence to see if it is reporting any problems.

I have to agree; after about twenty times with this issue, a few minutes ago - same procedures (addons loaded) as always - FSC9 connected without errors :blink: ... I need a sorcerer :smile: (yet I have to tell that this time the reloading time was 1/3 compared with usual times ...)

no specific FSUIPC message, only the above mentioned one from FSC9

Sorry, I don't see one mentioned above? I wasn't referring to an FSUIPC message. If a program can't talk to FSUIPC, FSUIPC doesn't know about it so cannot report it.

as a matter of fact, my reloading takes, in this case, more than a minute (PMDG long haul KIAH - EDDF), nevertheless I always tried to connect FSC9 only after the reload has gone fine

In that case it should always connect irrespective of the time to reload.

I'm afraid that without knowing what FSC9 is doing I can't really help. FSUIPC won't be withdrawing its services unless something nasty has happened in FS -- for instance, with FSX, a SimConnect problem. But the FSUIPC log would show if there's a problem. If that shows all is well I'm afraid we'd need the FSX9 author to tell us why it cannot talk to it.

So, did you check the Log after such a problem?

Regards

Pete

I'm sorry again: the message (when I wrote "mentioned above", I forgot that I was in another section of the forums :rolleyes: )from FSC9 is GPS is "no GPS data from FS available ........ connection terminated"

this is the log after the only one successful connection upon reloading (should I resend another log when the no-GPS-connection issue shows again?):

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.152 by Pete Dowson *********

User Name=""

User Addr=""

FSUIPC4 not user registered

WIDEFS7 not user registered, or expired

Running inside FSX on Windows Vista (SimConnect SP1 May07)

Module base=61000000

DebugStatus=0

78 System time = 16:47:14

93 FLT UNC path = "\\YODASEVEN64\Flight Simulator X Files\"

93 FS UNC path = "R:\FLighT SiMuLaTor X\"

374 LogOptions=00000001

390 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay

6879 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61637.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)

6879 Initialising SimConnect data requests now

6879 FSUIPC Menu entry added

6911 t:\spacetime - seven\flight simulator x files\SafeFSX.FLT

6911 R:\FLighT SiMuLaTor X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aircreation_582SL\Aircreation_582SL.AIR

7410 Weather Mode now = Custom

545364 R:\FLighT SiMuLaTor X\SimObjects\Airplanes\PMDG747-400\B747-400.AIR

545364 T:\SPACEtime - SEVEN\Flight Simulator X Files\KIAHEDDF2a.PLN

545364 t:\spacetime - seven\flight simulator x files\US KIAH EDDF 4 cruise.FLT

585253 System time = 16:56:59, FSX time = 05:54:54 (04:54Z)

587702 Weather Mode now = Theme

589902 Weather Mode now = Custom

592585 Advanced Weather Interface Enabled

596891 Weather Mode now = Theme

597016 Weather Mode now = Custom

2144046 T:\SPACEtime - SEVEN\Flight Simulator X Files\KIAHEDDF2a.PLN

2144046 C:\Users\Yoda\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX\Previous flight.FLT

2155060 System time = 17:23:09, FSX time = 05:54:54 (04:54Z)

2155060 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

Memory managed: 852 Allocs, 852 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

this is the log after the only one successful connection upon reloading (should I resend another log when the no-GPS-connection issue shows again?)

Well, two things wrong there:

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.152 by Pete Dowson *********

I'm sorry, that is really such an old version (over FOUR YEARS old!) that I cannot possibly support it. Please don't come back until you are using a supported version. The oldest supported version is 4.70 and the current main version is 4.745, with a 4.748 also available in the Download Links subforum.

The other thing wrong is that a log showing things working fine is obviously not going to show anything wrong -- other than the ancient version of FSUIPC, that is. And I wouldn't be at all surprised if that wasn't the source of your problem unless your FSC9 is over four years old too!

I really should remember to ask folks their FSUIPC version number before answering any details in the first place. It would probably save a lot of time for all of us in the long run!

Regards

Pete

please,don't think in terms of waste of time, because, in this case, you have shown to me the right direction

I've upgraded to 4.70, and the issue hasn't shown anymore

this FSX install of mine is one year old, and the only reason for this ancient release installed is that, when I purchased FSC9 two weeks ago (downloading FSUIPC4.7 as well), I searched and installed from my huge FSX library the old release (which I forgot to have downloaded, who knows when)

as a sign of gratitude for you support, even on sunday, I've just purchased a licence from Simmarket, although still I have to know what FSUIPC does :mrgreen:

I've upgraded to 4.70, and the issue hasn't shown anymore

Okay. Good. In that case the most likely cause of your problem was that the SimConnect connection was being lost through timeout checks applied whilst FS was engaged in those long disk operations. The later versions of FSUIPC used a more generous timeout, and also then automatically reconnected. Logs from your earlier problems would have shown this problem, no doubt.

Regards

Pete