The simFlight Network Forums

CH Pro

My CH Pro Pedals does not work well. I have tried to assign/calibrate in FSX and FSUIPC without luck. The brakes are activated without pressing on the period (.) and the differential brakes are too sensitive.

If I press both pedals I activate the brakes (is it supposed to be like that?). If I press period (.) the brakes are not released as I would expect. On the other hand if I activate the

parking brakes by pressing Ctrl + . then afterwards pressing the period (.) will release the brakes. Should it be so?

My right pedal has problems with releasing the differential brake when I release the pressure on the pedal. In fact I have to press my heel in order to release the right differential brake. This is also evident in the calibration window where the little cross only comes half way back when I release the right pedal. I wonder if a pair of CH Pro Pedals can be worn and not function correct any longer?

My CH Pro Pedals does not work well. I have tried to assign/calibrate in FSX and FSUIPC without luck. The brakes are activated without pressing on the period (.) and the differential brakes are too sensitive.

If I press both pedals I activate the brakes (is it supposed to be like that?). If I press period (.) the brakes are not released as I would expect. On the other hand if I activate the

parking brakes by pressing Ctrl + . then afterwards pressing the period (.) will release the brakes. Should it be so?

All this suggests that you probably have the toe brakes reversed. Most pedals have the toe brake input at maximum when they are released and minimum when fully pressed. If this is the case you need to select the REV (reverse) option and re-calibrate. In addition you should always calibrate the toe brakes with a good "dead zone" so you don't inadvertently engage them when using the rudder. Press both in a little before setting the minimum point during calibration.

... evident in the calibration window where the little cross only comes half way back when I release the right pedal.

Er, hold on. Aren't you calibrating in FSUIPC? If not, forget what I said above. But if you are, then even if you can't get the Windows calibration working well FSUIPC's calibration should still be able to give you good results. It doesn't care what the numbers are providing the change, and in the right direction.

Pete

My right pedal has problems with releasing the differential brake when I release the pressure on the pedal. In fact I have to press my heel in order to release the right differential brake. This is also evident in the calibration window where the little cross only comes half way back when I release the right pedal. I wonder if a pair of CH Pro Pedals can be worn and not function correct any longer?

I had this problem recently with my CH brake pedals sticking on the left foot and having to press down on the base to release it. I stripped the top cover off the foot pedal to expose the pots, which I then sprayed with electrical cleaner. This solved the sticking problem for me.

Regards

Den

Thank you Pete and Den!

I will have to fix my two profiles in FSUIPC and involve my CH Pro Pedals in these too following the advice above.

Doing so I guess I have to delete my CH Pro Pedals assignments in FSX's Control setting?

If this not fix the problem I will try the electrical cleaner spray. To which element do I point the spray? (sorry - never done that before).

If I press period (.) the brakes are not released as I would expect. On the other hand if I activate the

I wonder if you have a solution to this strange problem.

(And please dont tell my I have to assign the period (.) through FSUIPC - I have on purpose not wanted to involve my yoke and keyboard in my "Assignment-Solution" because it involves a lot of work with all those buttons.....).

/Lars

I will have to fix my two profiles in FSUIPC and involve my CH Pro Pedals in these too following the advice above.

Doing so I guess I have to delete my CH Pro Pedals assignments in FSX's Control setting?

Sorry, I don't understand how you get this from what I said?

I wonder if you have a solution to this strange problem.

You didn't read my reply on this? Seems I need to repeat myself: :-(

All this suggests that you probably have the toe brakes reversed. Most pedals have the toe brake input at maximum when they are released and minimum when fully pressed. If this is the case you need to select the REV (reverse) option and re-calibrate. In addition you should always calibrate the toe brakes with a good "dead zone" so you don't inadvertently engage them when using the rudder. Press both in a little before setting the minimum point during calibration.

Pete

Thank you Pete - you solved my problem.

I calibrated the left and right brakes in this way...

1. Ticked the reverse box.

2. Pressed the pedals fully forward and pressed MAX

3. Released the pressure on the pedal and made it go about halfway back and pressed MIN.

By doing this I also - somehow :?: - fixed the problem with my period on the keyboad that did not function before!!

Thank you Pete - you have been a great help for me - now I think I am ready to taxi again! :D

NB: Pete - can you tell me why I'm not receiving instant e-mail notification for this topic allthough I "ordered" it?

NB: Pete - can you tell me why I'm not receiving instant e-mail notification for this topic allthough I "ordered" it?

Sorry, I've no idea. I'm really just another user like yourself, with a few of extra functions I can use. They change the forum software more often than I can keep up. I've only just got used to ways of editing the subforums.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

The toe brakes are on the X and Y axes, which Windows assumes are centering. The Windows calibration routine asks you to center the controller and click the button. If they're calibrated without some room to the back, I'm sure you can see what will happen. You end up with a centered joystick with both Center and Max (released) returning the released value. There's not enough behind center to allow them to turn off.

If you prop the back end of the pedals up for the center clicks so they're about halfway down, it helps quite a bit. Another way that's worked is to simply not calibrate at all. The CH pedals declare a raw range via the USB descriptors of 0..255. In the absence of Windows calibration, it will just assume that the values are the descriptor values, as soon as you lay Windows calibration on it then windows starts to use that with the equal Max/Center values. Windows doesn't calibrate center for the pedals, either.

The CH Pedals almost always (I can't remember a set that didn't) cover the full 0..255 without calibration. Since it takes the values from the descriptors when Windows isn't in the act, that's just what you want, they set 0..128..255. So, in my experience and in some tests I ran awhile back withe the fellow that does California Classics, just using the "Reset Defaults" button in the Windows applet to clear the calibration worked will. The Null Zone sliders fully left, the Sensitivity sliders fully right in FS. That produces maximum Null Zone, which seems backwards but I think it's a result of reversing the axis in the FS dialog. On the ones I've tested, you have to go almost a third of the way down until any brake light comes on. You can slide it to the right and it will move the activation point closer to the top.

Windows won't calibrate center rudder anyway, with FSUIPC you can bring it into line since pots are perfectly linear. Generally more linear than Halls, but probably 10% or so the way they're set up. To the degree that taking 128 as center from the USB descriptor is off a little, it's an easy deal to fix with FSUIPC.

It causes a lot of trouble, and propping the back of the pedals up even 1/4" - 1/2" is usually enough to calibrate and leave enough "behind center" that the brake lights go out. Also a good idea to look at the "Reversed" box after you're done and make sure it's still checked. Sometimes playing with the Sensitivity seems ot flip it.

So, FWIW.

Best regards,

- Bob

The StickWorks

http://www.stickworks.com

Hi Pete,

>> Thanks for all that valuable info. I should of course remember to refer folks to the CH-Hangar for CH info, or is the StickWorks site the better place now? <<

You're quite welcome, Pete! I hope it's useful.

The Hangar is probably the better place. I don't have anything at the StickWorks set up that keeps the data out in the open and searchable.

Good to talk to you again, I hope things have been going well for you!

Take care...

- Bob

The StickWorks

http://www.stickworks.com