The simFlight Network Forums

PFCFSX.dll request

Hello-

I just transferred to all PFC hardware and was very successful with the Turbine Duke. With the PMDG NGX a bit less so. I am able to utilize it and fly with it- but in re. the AT behavior- despite the PFC box not being ticked to override AT and despite the PMDG AT behavior being selected to NEVER- any more than microscopic movement of the throttles results in AT disengagement.

Would it be possible to re-write some code to allow for the throttles to NOT override the AT- no matter what. I used the CH yoke with the built in throttle (actually mapped to the mixture axis so that I could have Spoiler, Throttle, Flap axis) and I could move the levers to MATCH the throttle position BEFORE disengaging the AT without issue- every time.

I miss this!

Pete- hope you had a great vacation and welcome back- actually missed ya :)

Carl Avari-Cooper

Edited by cavaricooper

Would it be possible to re-write some code to allow for the throttles to NOT override the AT- no matter what.

That would have to be a function of the PMDG code. Only it is determining whether the AT should be on or not. Nothing outside can stop it disengaging.

I used the CH yoke with the built in throttle (actually mapped to the mixture axis so that I could have Spoiler, Throttle, Flap axis) and I could move the levers to MATCH the throttle position BEFORE disengaging the AT without issue- every time.

You realise that with a registered version of FSUIPC you can assign the PFC throttles there, instead, disabling them in PFCFSX by assigning to an appropriate User configuration? In FSUIPC assign the throttles to the normal FS controls, AXIS_THROTTLEn_SET, or whatever method you used with the CH controls.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete!

Thanks mate- that was QUICK! I have been a registered user since 2005. Yes, I knew about the assignments but being new to PFC was (too) cautious about moving axis.....

Should I do so- mapping in FSUIPC do you think the "interaction" would eliminate itself? I'm not sure why it works with FSX mapping (CH Hardware- using FSUIPC only for button assignments) while it does not with the PFC (your) driver........?

Ta!

C

Should I do so- mapping in FSUIPC do you think the "interaction" would eliminate itself? I'm not sure why it works with FSX mapping (CH Hardware- using FSUIPC only for button assignments) while it does not with the PFC (your) driver........?

The PFC driver does things the most efficient way, bypassing the decoding in FS. The problem is that the add-on aircraft code is probably watching those values in any case, even though it is disconnecting the axis inputs from normal controls. Assigning in FSUIPC to the FS Axis controls is the same as assigning your CH controls in FS. They follow the same tortuous route through FSX's innards.

Regards

Pete

Pete-

Assigned the throttle axis' in FSUIPC and the Autobrake stopped working after landing......so I'm back to just the PFC axis.....it's fine until I want to disengage AT....I used o "match" throttle position and then disengage. I guess I can select the main screen box of movement disconnecting AT.....but there will be resultant surging. As long as I'm decisive and swift, I suppose I will be minimal.

If you have any other suggestions I'm open to them.....just not sure why the differen behaviors.....

Best- Carl

The Autobrake system logic looks for several conditions, one of which is FULL ground idle. There must be some interaction preventing this when mapped through FSUIPC. It sees the axis correctly when used via the PFC driver alone.

The PFC driver uses the FS "ThrottleN_Set" controls. But you said those didn't work with the aircraft you are using with autothrottle engaged. So I suggested assignment in FSUIPC to Axis_ThrottleN_Set controls instead, sent via FS. Those are then indistiguishable from normal hardware throttles assigned in FS. It seems that the aircraft you are using is not intended to be used from hardware throttles at all if neither method proves satisfactory!

Either that or you simply are not calibrating properly, to ensure a proper stable zero thrust idle position. That seems much more likely to me, I must admit! Try calibrating with a larger idle zone. Maybe your throttles are jittery.

Regards

Pete

Pete-

To clarify....they work with the PFC driver.....I just am not getting the "matching" ability I used to. In essence, if I had a motorized TQ they would be working perfectly! I appreciate your thoughts and your attention to this matter. Consider it closed.

Again, I remain most grateful for your NUMEROUS contributions to our hobby. When Aerowinx releases PSX I hope you will consider writing a driver for the PFC stuff. I'd gladly pay for one.

Best- Carl

When Aerowinx releases PSX I hope you will consider writing a driver for the PFC stuff.

Unlikely. I'm really trying to do less these days. I'm 69 this year and want to spend more time actually using the cockpit it's taken me so long to get the way I want it!

BTW, who are Aerowinx and what is PSX?

Regards

Pete

Hardy Heinlin made PS1.3 (IMHO the definitive PC 744 simulator.

Oh, that one. Yes, I had that -- a long long ago. Still have the manual around someplace.

There was a program to link it to FS so you could get proper scenery visuals and so on. the Sim screen was almost all cockpit -- not in realistic arrangement, just so you could access all the relevant switches and view the gauges.

Regards

Pete

Strangely, I brought 747PS1 up a couple of days ago as an example of how much "serious" simmers were prepared to spend and how far they were preapred to go to achieve a goal, when talking about Prepar3D...

Sorry to drag this slightly off track, but I find it amusing that I was talking about it and then this thread appears. ;)

Ian P.

All working as wanted with the PMDG NGX and 744X!

Just wanted to add a post here in case someone else is having difficulties setting up the PFC stuff. I do NOT map throttle axis in FSUIPC. What is very important though, is that in the PFC setup, I map the throttles as follows-

For the LOWEST setting I use the indicated lowest (just pull the lever back and select what it arrives at). That way there is correct indication at the lower end where just a little throttle gets you moving and you can finesse them to keep at 10kts w/o riding the brakes.

For the HIGHEST setting I push them to the stops and then back them off until the wide (base) part of the lever is at the bottom of the N in OPEN. That gives me a definite null zone. I advance throttles, stablize engines, depress TOGA and smoothly move the throttles to the stops- that puts them back in the null zone. Auto Throttle works perfectly. Then when I want to go back to manual throttles, I cancel AT, and swiftly move the throttles to the approximate N1 position. Works perfectly- no engine surging and NO AT PROBLEMS.

This works for ME- your mileage may vary- but at least there's a starting point.

Thanks Pete- couldn't do it without YOU!