The simFlight Network Forums

Clarified FSUIPC problems/question

I've made several posts in the past on the HiFi support boards about problems with winds I've had using Active Sky Evolution. I haven't gotten any results, so perhaps you can help. I have the unregistered version of FSUIPC 4.70 with FSX. I also use Active Sky Evolution, and have tried multiple builds, currently using their most recent, B655.

When I start up a flight, the airport surface weather is correct 99% of the time. The issues start when I'm climbing, cruising, and descending. When I'm climbing through different wind layers, the winds aloft usually don't change....they often just stay with whatever the previous layer was, and the only way I've found to get them to update is to go into the FSUIPC menu inside FSX and click "Weather Settings Off". I have to do this each time, not just once at the beginning of a flight. I have to do this most of the time when I move from one wind layer to the next. At cruise altitude, I have to go in and click the FSUIPC weather settings off whenever I move into an area with noticeably different weather, or my winds won't change. On descent, like with climb, I have to click the FSUIPC weather settings off button every time I move to a new layer or the winds won't update.

I've experiemented with many different rates of dynamic change in FSX/ASE, all the way from 0% (very slow weather transitions) to 100% (fastest weather transitions). There is no difference from one end of the spectrum to the other as to whether or not my winds aloft adjust.

The only way I've been able to remedy this problem is to uninstall FSUIPC. Without FSUIPC on my computer, the winds are perfect.... they start out right, they change smoothly from layer to layer, and they're correct back to surface winds when I'm landing. If I tried to leave the "weather settings off" button alone after I start a descent with FSUIPC installed, I'd wind up trying to land with whatever winds aloft I had at my cruise altitude.

Even after a completely clean install and update of FSUIPC and ASE, the problems returned. Unfortuntely, I have other add-ons that require FSUIPC, so keeping it uninstalled isn't an option. Some people have suggested I buy the registered version of FSUIPC, but I've read mixed results on whether or not that helps.

Do you have any insight as to what I can do to get my winds to transition correctly? Or, to transition at all, I should say. Your program (FSUIPC) is a phenominal tool in allowing so many add-ons to mesh with FSX. There just doesn't seem to a happy working relationship between FSUIPC and ASE though. I've seen a lot of other people with this issue as well, but I haven't seen anybody with anything other than a guess as to the solution (e.g. buying the paid version).

Thank you for any help you can give. I'm looking into putting out the money for a new PC build, and I want to make sure it will be worth it, in that I'll eventually be able to have correct and correctly transitioning winds after spending a big chunk of money on a new system.

When I start up a flight, the airport surface weather is correct 99% of the time. The issues start when I'm climbing, cruising, and descending. When I'm climbing through different wind layers, the winds aloft usually don't change....they often just stay with whatever the previous layer was

You are using an out of date version of FSUIPC. That was fixed a few releases ago shortly after it was first reported to me. The current version, 4.758 (installer), works fine. There's also a later update, 4,761, available in the Download Links subforum. I'm very surprised the ASE folks didn't tell you this on their forum.

It only occurs when you are NOT using FSUIPC's wind smoothing, which option is the main reason most folks install and register FSUIPC for. That's why it went unnoticed for so long.

Regards

Pete

Thank you! I'll certainly download the latest update. I must have been trying to find FSUIPC updates in the wrong places.... even just as recently as a couple weeks ago, I couldn't find anything past 4.70.

And again, thank you for creating and supporting FSUIPC.

Thank you! I'll certainly download the latest update. I must have been trying to find FSUIPC updates in the wrong places.... even just as recently as a couple weeks ago, I couldn't find anything past 4.70.

There's always up to date versions here, in the Download Links subforum -- as well as lots of other useful things.

The main Download page supported by Enrico Schiratti has links pointing to the same files for FSUIPC and WideFS, but Enrico doesn't update the text on the page very often -- only on major releases with new documentation. I don't have access to his site I'm afriad. So, although the link there says 4.70b or 4.70c, it actually does download the installer for 4.758 -- with 4.70 documentation. I'll have to get him to update the text with the next major release -- probably 4.80 in February. I need to replace everything in February because the signature on everything expires on February 12th 2012. I now have an updated signature lasting till 2015.

Regards

Pete