The simFlight Network Forums

Simconnect Nonconnect

Pete

I've been struggling with Simconnect for weeks. I now have it running on FSX - checked via FSUIPC4 console log. My problem is that I wish to run Simconnect from a client but cannot make it connect.

I've followed all the very detailed installation instructions on the FSDevelopers wiki site for installing the FSX Acceleration SDK. Of the guides I've seen, they were the clearest.

My set up:

Wireless LAN

PC Server: Dual boot

Disk 1 - W7 on partition; FSX on separate partition as F:FSX; FSUIPC 4.80

Disk 2 - XP on partition; FS9 on separate partition; FSUIPC 3.997

FSX Acceleration SDK

All relevant folders are shared, including the FSX root folder. Everyone can read/write to shared folders.

Avast antivirus.

Avast Firewall with exclusions for all I.P. addresses in network.

Separate permission set to allow all network connections.

Windows Firewall off.

Laptop Client:

W7, FS9 installed

FSX Acceleration SDK (FSX itself is not installed on the client)

WideFS/WideClient

Same Avast firewall permissions as on Server.

Windows firewall off.

When I run the recommended AI Traffic.exe test from the Client SDK I get nothing. If a connection is made there should be a message to that effect. I get nought! Not even an error.

When I attempt to run ASE on the Client it doesn't find FSX on the Server.

I have checked, and re-checked the simconnect.xml file (server) and simconnect.cfg file (client) and that these are correct and in the correct folders.

I've added the [Config] ServerName=GRETEL and also Protocol=TCP to the WinClient.ini file.

There are no problems when running WideFS with FS9 running various addons.

I've attached FSUIPC4.ini; FSUIPC4.log;WinClient.ini; WinClient.log files.

Sorry to bombard you with this, but I have really done my best to make this work. It has me beat! :(

John

FSUIPC4.zip

I've been struggling with Simconnect for weeks. I now have it running on FSX - checked via FSUIPC4 console log. My problem is that I wish to run Simconnect from a client but cannot make it connect. I've followed all the very detailed installation instructions on the FSDevelopers wiki site for installing the FSX Acceleration SDK. Of the guides I've seen, they were the clearest.

I don't think I'll be any better. It isn't my subject or my software. And why the SDK? You need just to install SimConnect on the client, not the whole SDK.

Disk 1 - W7 on partition; FSX on separate partition as F:FSX; FSUIPC 4.80

Disk 2 - XP on partition; FS9 on separate partition; FSUIPC 3.997

Both are out of date. Current supported versions of FSUIPC are 4.81 and 3.999. not that its anything to do with your current query.

All relevant folders are shared, including the FSX root folder. Everyone can read/write to shared folders.

I'm pretty sure that, like WideFs, SimConnect doesn't care at all about file sharing. It isn't relevant.

I have checked, and re-checked the simconnect.xml file (server) and simconnect.cfg file (client) and that these are correct and in the correct folders.

Well those are the only relevant files, assuming of course that you've actually installed Simconnect on the Client. Have you?

I've added the [Config] ServerName=GRETEL and also Protocol=TCP to the WinClient.ini file.

Why report that here? It isn't at all relevant to SimConnect.

I've attached FSUIPC4.ini; FSUIPC4.log;WinClient.ini; WinClient.log files.

Why? WideFS doesn't use SimConnect, it is totally irrelevant.

I can if you like look at your SimConnect ini and xml files, but it isn't really my job to support SimConnect. I don't mind trying to help, but i think you are really in the wrong place.

Regards

Pete

Pete

You need just to install SimConnect on the client, not the whole SDK.

.....assuming of course that you've actually installed Simconnect on the Client. Have you?

Yes, of course I installed Simconnect.msi on the Client. There is every reason to install the SDK on the Client. In fact you have to do it to test the connection. The Server and Client SDKs must be the same version though.

Why report that here? It isn't at all relevant to SimConnect.

I ran out of ideas myself. Sorry to trouble you.

I can if you like look at your SimConnect ini and xml files, but it isn't really my job to support SimConnect. I don't mind trying to help, but i think you are really in the wrong place.

Yes, obviously I am. I'll just go back to FS9, its a better program anyway.

Thanks for your advice.

Regards

John

Yes, obviously I am. I'll just go back to FS9, its a better program anyway.

Giving up so easily? I can still look at those two files if you wished. And, I strongly disagree with your FS9 / FSX comparison, but the choice still remains, luckily enough. ;-)

Regards

Pete

Giving up so easily? I can still look at those two files if you wished.

That's kind. I should have said that WideFS does not connect from the Client either. The server is waiting for connection....which is why I sent the first batch of files. It is not only Simconnect.

As I said, I never had any trouble with WideFS and FS9. Used it for years and you wouldn't know it was there. If you think FSX's Simconnect is a triumph of software design, and a better way of connecting, I'm surprised. You must be one of very few. ;-)

I have to admit that although I have read extensively I am still unclear as to the separate roles of Simconnect and WideFS in FSX. As I understand it, Simconnect is used by FSX to connect to addons such as ASE. Wide FS is used to control hardware from the Client, although this could more easily be done directly on the server machine. Maybe I am completely mixed up!

I'll post the simconnect files to you later this morning. Thanks again.

John

I should have said that WideFS does not connect from the Client either. The server is waiting for connection....which is why I sent the first batch of files. It is not only Simconnect.

Ah, right. You never said that.

The Client log just shows that it doesn't know where the server is and so is waiting for a Broadcast: Broadcasts don't travel between separate Workgroups, so you probably haven't named them the same on the two PCs.

********* WideClient Log [version 6.86] Class=FS98MAIN *********
Date (dmy): 20/03/12, Time 20:38:13.668: Client name is HOLLY2
140 LUA: "C:\Program Files (x86)\WideClient\Initial.LUA": not found
203 Attempting to connect now
1217 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast
1217 Failed to connect: waiting to try again
3260 Attempting to connect now
68484 Trying to locate server: Need details from Server Broadcast[/CODE]

The Client INI file you included does have these parameters included:

[CODE]ServerName=GRETEL
Protocol=TCP[/CODE]

which should certainly have made it try to connect to that PC. If I use your INI file here and run WideClient with it I get this Log:

[CODE]********* WideClient Log [version 6.954] Class=FS98MAIN *********
Date (dmy): 21/03/12, Time 13:01:26.626: Client name is LEFT
1609 Attempting to connect now
1625 LUA: "C:\Temp\Initial.LUA": not found
4171 Trying TCP/IP host "GRETEL" port 8002 ...
4171 Error on client gethostbyname() [Error=11004] Valid name, no data record of requested type[/CODE]

Obviously it won't actually connect because I have no PC named "GRETEL", but this is detected okay and logged.

I know my WideClient.exe is a later version that yours (you can get updates from the [b]Download Links[/b] subforum), but there's most certainly not been any change in how this sort of things behaves in [i]many[/i] versions over [i]many[/i] years.

Therefore I can only conclude that the WideClient LOG and INI files you supplied do not actually come from the same run of WideClient. The log shows that the ServerName parameter is being totally ignored, and I don't believe that is possible.

If you are using the same install of WideClient for FS9 with success, show me the Log and INI from that -- obviously it should be[i] exactly[/i] the same for FS9 and FSX at the Client end. [b]You don't need to run FS9 or FSX or even have the Server switched on[/b] to see whether there's any difference, because there can't be, not at the stage when Wideclient is looking for the Server! It can't guess whether there will be FS9 or FSX at the other end!

I have to admit that although I have read extensively I am still unclear as to the separate roles of Simconnect and WideFS in FSX. As I understand it, Simconnect is used by FSX to connect to addons such as ASE. Wide FS is used to control hardware from the Client, although this could more easily be done directly on the server machine. Maybe I am completely mixed up!

OK. I see you are not quite understanding.

WideFS is a facility for extending the FSUIPC interface to other PCs, not running FS, on a Network. That's all it is meant to do. The FSUIPC interface was devised in FS95 days, as FS5IPC, and in FS98 as FS6IPC. I made it universally apply to all versions of FS from FS98 onwards. FS[size=5][b]U[/b][/size]IPC provides an interface for applications to read and write things in FS.

WideFS was added quite early on to allow some of the jobs done by such applications to be moved onto other PCs, to take the load off the FS PC and to allow distributed functions in the more complex cockpits. Project Magenta was the main need of this at the time with 5 or 6 PCs being optimum for its full operation.

Microsoft eventually saw the usefulness of such facilities, and decided that they should be part of FSX, not be dependent upon a third party program like FSUIPC. In other words they were replacing FSUIPC and consequently also WideFS. They did discuss it with me before they did it, and I was looking forward to a nice returement -- or so I thought at the time. I made a version of FSUIPC (FSUIPC4) which simply interfaced TO SimConnect as a sort of bridge to FSX for all the existing FSUIPC applications, but confidently expected all new applications to use SimConnect directly, and for FSUIPC use to therefore wither away.

The situation now with FSX is that SimConnect is used by many, but not all, of the newer applications, but most of the older applications are still going strong too -- probably because there's still around 50% usage of FS9, even after, what, nearly 9 years!

Regards

Pete

Simconnect files attached. I included the .cfg (client) as well. Thank you for looking at these.

Your post crossed with my last. Please refer back regarding WideFS.

Regarding the SimConnect files, you need to say where they are too, really. The CFG file on your Client should be in your "My Documents" folder.

You have:

[SimConnect]
Protocol=Auto
Address=192.168.1.54
Port=500
MaxReceiveSize=4096
DisableNagle=0[/CODE]

I would try this:

[CODE][SimConnect]
Protocol=IPv4
Address=GRETEL
Port=500
MaxReceiveSize=4096
DisableNagle=0[/CODE]

And the SimConnect XML file looks wrong to me. To start with you have two entries trying to use the same port (500). Only one will win, and if it's the "local" one then you won't get a remote connection in any case. Try this:

[CODE]

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="Windows-1252"?>
<SimBase.Document Type="SimConnect" version="1,0">
<Descr>SimConnect</Descr>
<Filename>SimConnect.xml</Filename>
<Disabled>False</Disabled>
<SimConnect.Comm>
<Protocol>ipv4</Protocol>
<Scope>global</Scope>
<Address>192.168.1.54</Address>
<MaxClients>64</MaxClients>
<Port>500</Port>
<MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>
<DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle>
</SimConnect.Comm>
<SimConnect.Comm>
<Protocol>auto</Protocol>
<Scope>local</Scope>
<Address></Address>
<MaxClients>64</MaxClients>
<Port></Port>
<MaxRecvSize>4096</MaxRecvSize>
<DisableNagle>False</DisableNagle>
</SimConnect.Comm>
</SimBase.Document>[/CODE]

I'm assuming your GRETEL's IP address is 192.168.1.54. If not change that, or even try GRETEL.

Regards

Pete

Pete

Thanks for #6. My post crossed with yours 03.17.

I have indeed two versions of the WideClient.exe. I've attached both pairs of .ini and .log files. Obviously this is a complete mess so I'm very grateful for your help.

I also have a WideServer.ini and WideServer.dll included in the FSX version of the install.

[Config]

Port=8002

;-------------------------------

[user]

Log=Errors+

;-------------------------------

Regards

John

WideClient_FS9.zip

WideClient_FSX.zip

I have indeed two versions of the WideClient.exe. I've attached both pairs of .ini and .log files. Obviously this is a complete mess so I'm very grateful for your help.

Why bother with two different Wideclinet installs on the same PC?

Your FS9 one logs

********* WideClient Log [version 6.86] Class=FS98MAIN *********

Date (dmy): 21/03/12, Time 14:25:46.700: Client name is HOLLY2

156 LUA: "C:\Program Files (x86)\WideClient\Initial.LUA": not found

156 Attempting to connect now

218 Trying TCP/IP host "GRETEL" port 8002 ...

218 ... Okay, IP Address = 192.168.1.54

Which is correct, and its INI does have the ServerName and Protocol parameters within.

Your FSX one does NOT have those parameters!!

Just delete your FSX Wideclinet and run only the FS9 one for both FS9 and FSX!

I also have a WideServer.ini and WideServer.dll included in the FSX version of the install.

Delete those. They are never used with FS.

Pete

Pete

Many thanks again.

I modified the .cfg and .xml files. Still no joy, even with GRETEL instead of the IP numerals. Yes, simconnect.cfg is in the Client's Documents folder.

I attempted to run ASE on the Client - just to see. Initially it could not find the FSX application. When I pointed the program to ../Roaming/Microsoft/FSX it loaded up a database. It produced weather but it did not transmit this to FSX.

I wonder if the dual boot arrangement is causing problems.

John

PS More crossing. Will do as per #11. J

Simconnect still not, unfortunately.

Well, something's likely in the wrong place. The versions of the files I showed are, apart from the computer names/IP address, identical to those I use, and I have SimConnect connecting fine.

The XML file must be in the same folder as your FSX.CFG and DLL.XML files on the FSX PC. The CFG file should be in the currently active user's documents folder on the client - or possibly in the same folder as the appication you are running. Maybe you have an incorrect one in there?

Try re-booting the FSX PC. I do find that sometimes Simconnect won't rec-connect after an FSX restart without the system being re-booted too.

Regards

Pete

Well, something's likely in the wrong place. The versions of the files I showed are, apart from the computer names/IP address, identical to those I use, and I have SimConnect connecting fine.

The XML file must be in the same folder as your FSX.CFG and DLL.XML files on the FSX PC. The CFG file should be in the currently active user's documents folder on the client - or possibly in the same folder as the appication you are running. Maybe you have an incorrect one in there?

All checked again. Cut and pasted from your post. In correct places. I already copied to the client application folder.

Try re-booting the FSX PC. I do find that sometimes Simconnect won't rec-connect after an FSX restart without the system being re-booted too.

Not a dicky-bird! It just refuses to connect! I don't know where to go to from here.

Regards

John

Thanks again, Pete. You been incredibly patient.

I resisted FSX for years because I have such a lovely FS9 triple monitor setup. Just recently I thought I'd give FSX a go. As far as I know the only program on my client which uses Simconnect is ASE. The others, various loggers and Radar Contact use WideFS. Similarly, FSKeeper uses WideFS I think, but I am not sure.

It may seem a silly question but apart from running an addon program on the client, how do you know if/when Simconnect is connected?

John

Ok. Just one last question. When you run FSX how many tools show in your Tools menu? I have only the OPT. I read somewhere that there are 3 in-game tools, OPT, Effects, and another.

OPT? Sorry, I'm not aware of that acronym. Oh, "Object Placement Tool"? (I had to look at the SDK installation).

There are three tools in the SDK, but they have to be loaded via entries in the DLL.XML file. I only ever use the Traffic Toolbox. For each DLL to be loaded by SimConnect you need an entry in the DLL.XML file to tell it what and where. The FSUIPC4 installer adds FSUIPC4 for you.

The entries for the three tools would be something like:

<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Object Placement Tool</Name>
<Disabled>True</Disabled>
<ManualLoad>False</ManualLoad>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Mission Creation Kit\object_placement.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Traffic Toolbox</Name>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Traffic Toolbox SDK\traffictoolbox.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>
<Launch.Addon>
<Name>Visual Effects Tool</Name>
<Path>..\Microsoft Flight Simulator X SDK\SDK\Environment Kit\Special Effects SDK\visualfxtool.dll</Path>
</Launch.Addon>[/CODE]

But you'd need to check that path -- with no <Drive>:\ part at the beginning it is relative to the FSX installation.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Pete

Joy! :grin:

After much head-scratching and experimentation I eventually decided to take a look at the client PC registry. I should have done that sooner because the ASE paths to FSX and FS9 were in a mess. I fixed these, but still no joy....

Changed port from 500 to 4506 (supposedly unused) - success at last!

Also, I had to rewrite the paths in the dll.xml to get the tools showing as you said.

Giving up so easily?

Nope. But I gotta admit this darned Simconnect thing very nearly had me beat. MS made a very big mistake when they passed you up, Pete.

Thanks again for your help and encouragement.

John

I tried it, Ed, but it didn't work.

Since #21 I have mapped both my FSX (W7) and FS9 (XP) drives to my client. This has speeded up access. Also, WideFS opens automatically when connecting to FSX and FS9. I'm not sure why it does this but I like it :)

John