The simFlight Network Forums

Mr. Dowson,

After having read numerous posts on Saitek yoke calibration, I can't find the answer to this question. I have adjusted my yoke calibration a number of ways to get rid of a yoke response visual cue. When banking, I watch the yoke in the aircraft and as I pass the 45 degree yoke position, it suddenly flips to the 180 degree position. The simulation bank also increases. I have also read your manual and am about to start programming in FSUIPC. I would like a hint in this area of calibration to keep from chasing my tail.

After having read numerous posts on Saitek yoke calibration, I can't find the answer to this question. I have adjusted my yoke calibration a number of ways to get rid of a yoke response visual cue. When banking, I watch the yoke in the aircraft and as I pass the 45 degree yoke position, it suddenly flips to the 180 degree position.

Sounds very much like a faulty yoke.

The simulation bank also increases. I have also read your manual and am about to start programming in FSUIPC. I would like a hint in this area of calibration to keep from chasing my tail.

There's not a lot you can do with a seriously faulty piece of hardware. But certainly try calibrating properly. There are numbered steps for that in the User Manual, in the chapter on calibration. just follow them.

Pete

Mr. Dowson,

The Saitek end of travel position is at 45 degrees below level flght. This means there is 90 degrees physically missing from the yoke travel arc when compared to the simulator visual cues. Will I be able to impose a simulated 360 degree lock to lock action on a 270 degree lock to lock yoke? I do not believe my yoke is defective, just deficient.

The Saitek end of travel position is at 45 degrees below level flght. This means there is 90 degrees physically missing from the yoke travel arc when compared to the simulator visual cues.

I don't understand what you means, really.

Will I be able to impose a simulated 360 degree lock to lock action on a 270 degree lock to lock yoke? I do not believe my yoke is defective, just deficient.

It is faulty if, as you said, as you pass the 45 degree yoke position, it suddenly flips to the 180 degree position. There should be no such sudden change of input, it should be smooth from one pend to the other.

Calibration is the process of matching a real world lever/axis numerical input range to a desired simulator one. That's what it is for. Just follow the numbered steps. I don't understand your continual need for some sort of assurance. The only difference between FSUIPC's calibration methods and those provided by game controller applets is that it is numerical and more precise.

Regards

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I think he's refering to the fact that you're only able to rotate the Saitek Yoke 45 degrees left and right. In FS (and IRL), the yoke is able to rotate 90 degrees left and right. I assume the TS is interested in knowing how to compensate for this in the FSUIPC response curves.

Johan

I think he's refering to the fact that you're only able to rotate the Saitek Yoke 45 degrees left and right. In FS (and IRL), the yoke is able to rotate 90 degrees left and right. I assume the TS is interested in knowing how to compensate for this in the FSUIPC response curves.

Sorry, that makes no sense. The 45 degrees on the hardware yoke will match the 90 degees of the FS yoke if the axis is calibrated correctly. The response curves only change the rate of change -- a normal linear change will do the job just as well. No "compensation" is needed. The minimum and maximum input values will reach the minimum and maximum values FS can accept, and therefore its yoke movement. That's the whole point of calibration, which seems to be ignored here.

If what you are saying is that he wants the visible FS yoke movement to match his yoke, then he could do that by fiddling the calibrated max and min values in the INI file so values which cannot be reached by the yoke. For instance, assuming the actual max and min inputs were 16000 and -16000, setting the calibrated ones to 32000 and -32000 would limit the input from the yoke to half of the full FS range, so limiting its visible yoke movement correspondingly. This might make flying more difficult in certain circumstances, however, and to me would seem to be a daft thing to do.

Regards

Pete