The simFlight Network Forums

Assign pots and keyboard flaps

Hi Pete,

i try to use maddog in multicrew. this option permit to use 2 pcs connect via LAN

one for external view, and another one is for all instruments monitors.

Maddog has many bugs not resolve, one of those is flaps cannot send correct informations from

PF (is the server pc where are connect all axis controls) to PNF (the client with guages). The only

way to set flaps from PF and PNF is via keyboard keys F5 - F6 - F7 - F8.

My throttle have one potentiometer control all detents set for flaps (in the maddog there are 5 positions

UP - flap 0 - 11 - 15 - 28 and full 40°).

I need if is possible to set when pot are in 0° position can send also a information to client with an increment of flap

via keyboard key F7 ....and so on...

is possible to do this?

thanks,

Simone

The only

way to set flaps from PF and PNF is via keyboard keys F5 - F6 - F7 - F8.

Aren't they simply sending the normal FLAPS UP, DECR, INCR and DOWN controls as assigned in FS by default? If so I would have thought FLAPS SET would work too.

My throttle have one potentiometer control all detents set for flaps (in the maddog there are 5 positions

UP - flap 0 - 11 - 15 - 28 and full 40°). I need if is possible to set when pot are in 0° position can send also a information to client with an increment of flap

via keyboard key F7 ....and so on...is possible to do this?

FSUIPC and WideFS do not handle two PCs with FS running, so I assume you mean "can multicrew do it"? If this is what you are asking you need to ask them as I do not know that product at all.

If you meant to ask whether you can assign regions of an axis to FS or FSUIPC controls, and thereby send the flap controls, or if necessary the key presses, as you move the lever, then the answer is 'yes' -- that's what the right-hand side of the Axis assignemtns tab is for. You can assign actions to up to 10 regions of the axis movement, with different actions moving up and down and in and oout of each region.

For 5 flap positions I suppose you'd assign 5 regions, with

Up assignments = Flaps up -- flaps incr -- flaps incr -- flaps incr -- flaps down

Down assignments = Flaps up -- flaps decr -- flaps decr -- flaps decr -- flaps down

Just then make sure you start full up or full down or they may not be synchronised.

If you must use keypresses instead of FS controls you can assign to the FSUIPC-added key press/release controls.

Regards

Pete

• 2 months later...

Hi Pete, sorry for my late reply and confusion i create you with my bad english.

So i try to rexplain again:

My setup consist in 2 PCs:

one is a PC is only for FSX with 3 projecton external view and where all axes are connected : yokes, rudders, flaps, spoilers, stiller.

another PC is used to control all the buttons, encoders, rotaries, servo via IO cards.

Between the two PCs there is a program specific for maddog called "Multicrew" that transmits data informations from.

FIRST PROBLEM

Setup flap potentiometer via normal axis assignement:

find axis, choose send to calibration; choose FLAP and go to flap specific category.

my pot range go to 16383 to about 9000, in the related flap section we have LEFT - CTR (where put DT Detents) and RIGHT window.

Correctly is to put a value slightly lower of 16383 in the LEFT window (and this is ok) and in the RIGHT one value slightly lower of 9000: now i feel a "DANG" (impossible to put this value).

Must to set in the LEFT 9000 and in the RIGHT 16383 (is inverted axis?).

For the maddog MD80 there are 5 positions: 0 - 11 - 15-28 -40 (down) and I set them with from detent 1 = 0 °, 2 = 11 ° ... etc.

Now must to start detent 1 = 40° , 2=28° ....that is, on the contrary!

SECOND PROBLEM:

when i will resolve first problem, the axis in pedestal will change correctly position, but not transmit the correct position also to 2 PC (probably bug of multicrew system)

The only way is to have sincronized positions is to use F5-F6-F7-F8 keyboard commands.

So i need to assign when pot flap axis is in:

16383 FLAP UP = F5

DETENT 1 = SLAT EXT, FLAP 0° = incr F7 and dec F6

DETENT 4 = FLAP 28° incr F7 and dec F6

9000 FLAP 40° = F8

thanks for your patience,

Simone

Correctly is to put a value slightly lower of 16383 in the LEFT window (and this is ok) and in the RIGHT one value slightly lower of 9000: now i feel a "DANG" (impossible to put this value).

Must to set in the LEFT 9000 and in the RIGHT 16383 (is inverted axis?).

In all FSUIPC's calibration sections the numbers MUST increase left to right, NEVER the other way around. So, yes, REVERSE the axis (REV button) before calibration. Spoilers, flaps and tow brakes almost always need reversing as their operation is in the reverse direction of things like throttles.

Now must to start detent 1 = 40° , 2=28° ....that is, on the contrary!

No, you merely need to reverse the axis before you start!!

when i will resolve first problem, the axis in pedestal will change correctly position, but not transmit the correct position also to 2 PC (probably bug of multicrew system)

But you said "where all axes are connected : yokes, rudders, flaps, spoilers, stiller.", so this problem must also apply to yokes, rudders, spoilers and tiller! How are you solving that.

Sorry, but it isn't making sense. Either you want to drive the flaps by an axis, on the FS PC, or by buttons. In the latter case use FLAPS SET with specific parameters for each position.

The only way is to have sincronized positions is to use F5-F6-F7-F8 keyboard commands.

Well, yes, if you must use keypresses. But is that how you control elevator, ailerons nad rudders too? It seems a very heavy price to pay to use "Multicrew" program! I think I'd rather discard that program and fly with good controls!

16383 FLAP UP = F5

9000 FLAP 40° = F8

If you want to do that sort of thing you have to assign the ranges on the right-hand side of the Axis Assignments tab -- NOT to the FLAPS axis at all! The drop down for assignment of up to 10 axis regions includes the FSUIPC control to send a keypress, but to send multiiples you'll probably need to assign to a macro.

Regards

Pete

But you said "where all axes are connected : yokes, rudders, flaps, spoilers, stiller.", so this problem must also apply to yokes, rudders, spoilers and tiller! How are you solving that.

rls work controls worl correctly. Only flap have this problem. I wil try to REV axis and set again.

Sorry, but it isn't making sense. Either you want to drive the flaps by an axis, on the FS PC, or by buttons. In the latter case use FLAPS SET with specific parameters for each position.

Well, yes, if you must use keypresses. But is that how you control elevator, ailerons nad rudders too? It seems a very heavy price to pay to use "Multicrew" program! I think I'd rather discard that program and fly with good controls!

Multicrew is a free suite inside Maddog, not expensive program and the developpers not offers supports from many times :(

So the only way to syncronize the 2 pedestal from one pc to other is to control flaps via key commands.

16383 FLAP UP = F5

9000 FLAP 40° = F8

If you want to do that sort of thing you have to assign the ranges on the right-hand side of the Axis Assignments tab -- NOT to the FLAPS axis at all! The drop down for assignment of up to 10 axis regions includes the FSUIPC control to send a keypress, but to send multiiples you'll probably need to assign to a macro

How can i do to make this operation? in the menu there are only:

Flap UP

Flap Detents

Flap set

Flap INC

Flap DEC

Flap Down

must to use some parameters?

Regards

Pete

How can i do to make this operation? in the menu there are only:

Flap UP

Flap Detents

Flap set

Flap INC

Flap DEC

Flap Down

Er, no!! There a hundreds of entries in the drop down! You have already told me you can't use FS controls, you must use keypresses like F4 - F7. So why are you looking at Flap controls? The are key press/release controls, and if you add macros into the Modules folder those will be listed too!!!

Pete

Pete, yes is possible to use Fs control, flaps are by fs default!

I need to syncronize the flap potentiomter potsition with FS controls.

But if i set Flap Axis, how can i do simultanously set also Fs flap controls?

when i pass from flap 0° to flap 11° with potentiometer set in axis control, automatically this command pass information also to FS key control increment flap.

Hope you understand

Simone

Pete, yes is possible to use Fs control, flaps are by fs default!

You are now contradicting your own statement earlier, this one:

So the only way to syncronize the 2 pedestal from one pc to other is to control flaps via key commands.

Mind you, that one contradicted the earlier one where you said the flaps control was on the same PC with the yoke, spoilers, rudders and tiller.

I need to syncronize the flap potentiomter potsition with FS controls.

Why? If it is a flaps axis, like an elevator axis or rudder axis, then assign it as an axis and calibrate there!!! I really understand nothing now, because each time you post here you contradict things you sent before!

But if i set Flap Axis, how can i do simultanously set also Fs flap controls?

Why on Earth would you want an axis controlling the flaps and FS controls at the same time? That would be a nonsense! There'd be all sorts of conflicts.

EITHER use the axis with a single axis control -- normal assignment followed by calibration, like most normal users,

OR use the range assignments instead to assign to controls!

Do not use both together. That will be chaos!

when i pass from flap 0° to flap 11° with potentiometer set in axis control, automatically this command pass information also to FS key control increment flap.

Sorry, I've no idea where this statement arises. If you've done it all why are you still asking questions?

Hope you understand

Sorry, no, not at all. You contradict yourself in so many places I can't make sense of it. Sorry.

Pete

sorry probably is my bad english. i re-explain:

- flaps axis can be set without problems in my main PC and well work correct and see the transit flap in the pedestal.

- the problem is only to comunicate with other PC: when i use the flap lever in the main pc in the second dont change position or change badly.

- the only syncronization for both pedestal pc's is to use the flaps FS controls: example: if i press F7 the flaps transit for 0° to 11° degrees also in the second PC and viceversa.

PROBABLY IS THE BUG OF MULTICREW SYSTEM, for that i need to syncronize this lever (command by pot and well correct assign by axis assignement) with Fscontrols....HOW?

- flaps axis can be set without problems in my main PC and well work correct and see the transit flap in the pedestal.

- the problem is only to comunicate with other PC: when i use the flap lever in the main pc in the second dont change position or change badly.

Which PC has the aircraft which is flying? Surely the first one, with the operating flaps? Why do you care about flaps in a non-flying aircraft?

- the only syncronization for both pedestal pc's is to use the flaps FS controls: example: if i press F7 the flaps transit for 0° to 11° degrees also in the second PC and viceversa.

But is this because of the Keypress, or because of the control it sends?

PROBABLY IS THE BUG OF MULTICREW SYSTEM, for that i need to syncronize this lever (command by pot and well correct assign by axis assignement) with Fscontrols....HOW?

You can't use both an axis control AND the separate FS flap controls. One or the other. If you need to use only the controls, do that. Do NOT assign the axis to the axis control (on the left part of the axis tab), but only assign the relevant ranges (detentes) to controls on the right-hand side.

I have suggested this before, probably more than once, but you ignore this suggestion. Why?

Pete

Which PC has the aircraft which is flying? Surely the first one, with the operating flaps? Why do you care about flaps in a non-flying aircraft?

yes is the first one. Cannot operate in a non flyng aircraft becaus all controls must be operate in a first one via one bodnar card.

But is this because of the Keypress, or because of the control it sends?

i dont why if i use keypress work, if i use set from axis operate in the first pc but not in the second.

You can't use both an axis control AND the separate FS flap controls. One or the other. If you need to use only the controls, do that. Do NOT assign the axis to the axis control (on the left part of the axis tab), but only assign the relevant ranges (detentes) to controls on the right-hand side.

I have suggested this before, probably more than once, but you ignore this suggestion. Why?

sorry, probably idont understand well the english. So probably need to reconfigure my throttle using switches and not axis potentiometer?

yes is the first one. Cannot operate in a non flyng aircraft becaus all controls must be operate in a first one via one bodnar card.

So why are you bothered about flaps settings on the non-flying aircraft?

][/u]sorry, probably idont understand well the english. So probably need to reconfigure my throttle using switches and not axis potentiometer?

why?

All you need to do is clear the assignment of the axis to Flaps or Flaps Set, on the left side of FSUIPC's axis tab, then use the RIGHT HAND SIDE (i.e. the side of that Tab display you've not yet used and seem reluctant to look at!).

Just set a region for Flaps Down at one end, assigning that control for both directions, then one for each intermediate detente, assigning Flaps Incr for one direction and Flaps Decr for the other --- each detente will have the same assignments -- until you get to the Flaps Up position where you assign that for both directions. Once you've done that it will all work using just those controls -- the 4 associated with F4-F5-F6-F7. You'd need to start by moving the lever to full flaps up or down, in order to get the positions matched, but then it will be no trouble.

It is very easy to do. I don't know why you ignore this possibility. Have you even looked at it?

I really can't help any more. If you don't see what I'm talking about, I'll have to give up. Sorry.

Pete