The simFlight Network Forums

CTD fresh install FSX and FSUIPC 4.827

Hi Pete,

I've built a new PC and installing FSX onto it from backed up files and have run into issues that apear to be caused by FSUIPC. The first install went bady wrong with lots of CTD so have started again from scratch to sort out the CTD issue.

FSX crashes to desktop when loading before it gets to the welcome home page I get the "FSX has encountered an error and needs to close"

I've been working on it for the last 2 nights so I hope you can help me get it resolved. Here is a copy of the log I've kept.

Machine Win7 Home Premium SP1 64 Bit

I7 – 2700K CPU @ 3.50GHz (Factory Clocking)

16 GB DDR3 1333 RAM

2xGTX580 GPU (Factory Clocking)

Registry cleaned, Formatted drive, Install FSX from DVD, Run Default Flight. Defrag. Reboot.

Install Acceleration from DVD (Version 10.0.61637.0), Run default flight, Defrag, Reboot.

Download and install FSUIPC 4.827 installed to key to register no other additions made.

No other software addons loaded into FSX or tweaks at all.

FSX CTD first boot after FSUIPC installed. Retried to load FSX, CTD after answering Yes to load FSUIP.

Done everything in FAQ http://forum.simflig...irst-installed/

Two successful loads of FSX and default flight. Third time CTD. Reboot PC.

Load FSX CTD. Rename FSUIPC.DLL .BKP and loaded FSX 6 times successfully

Tried InitDelay=120 was asked if want to run software and loaded successfully, tried a second time was asked again and successful load. Third time not asked and booted okay.

Tried dropping InitDelay=60 asked if I want to run software then CTD 2 times. Rebooted PC and same result twice.

Redownloaded install for FSUIPC and ran again over current install

Tried InitDelay=90. Rebooted PC run software and loaded okay, next load of FSX CTD. Same with 3rd load at this setting.

Changed to InitDelay=120 and asked if wanted to run FSUIPC. Loaded okay and default flight. Closed FSX. Opened again CTD. Reboot PC asked again to run and loaded okay test default fight, and closed FSX opened FSX and it ran fine for 2nd time, including test flight. Closed opened FSX 3rd time CTD. 4th load, flight Okay. 5th & 6th CTD

Renamed FSUIPC4.DLL to bkp and I’ve got 10 clean loads of FSX in a row.

Renamed back to dll and 2nd boot of FSX I’ve got the CTD back.

Below are Simconnect Logs and Install Logs:

0.00000 SimConnect version 10.0.61259.0

0.00930 Server: Scope=local, Protocol=Pipe, Name=\\.\pipe\Microsoft Flight Simulator\SimConnect, MaxClients=64

0.01278 Server: Scope=local, Protocol=IPv6, Address=::1, Port=49708, MaxClients=64

0.02244 Server: Scope=local, Protocol=IPv4, Address=127.0.0.1, Port=49709, MaxClients=64

0.75171 Panels data export found and set to 20B319D8

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.827 by Pete Dowson *********

User Name="Paul XXXXXXXX"

User Addr="P.XXXXXXX@XXXXXXXX.co.nz"

FSUIPC4 Key is provided

WIDEFS7 not user registered, or expired

Running inside FSX on Windows 7

Module base=61000000

469 System time = 27/05/2012 00:13:30

469 FLT path = "C:\Users\Caveman\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"

500 Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...

500 FS path = "F:\Flight Simulator X\"

I hope you can give me some pointers to get a stable FSX before I start adding anything else to it.

Thanks Paul

FSX crashes to desktop when loading before it gets to the welcome home page I get the "FSX has encountered an error and needs to close"

Are there entries in the Windows error log? Because that is the place to look first. You should be able to find the name of the actual DLL responsible and both the error code and offset address.

When you installed FSX from a backup, did that include the files in the <user>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\FSX, ProgramData\Microsoft\FSX and Documents\Flight Simulator X Files folders? Because apart from the SimConnect "trust" bug, which when recovered from once is never known to fail subsequenty with the same program, the only other thing I know what can cause crashes during initialisation are those caused by corrupt Weather (.WX) or Weather station index files. In the former case FSUIPC doesn't even get to run, so you get no log, in the latter case you get a partial log, up to the point where FSUIPC first asks SimConnect for the weather.

Tried InitDelay=120

InitDelay fiddles are ony to avoid SimConnect clashes with other Simconnect applications. If you've no other addons they won't make any difference in any case.

Redownloaded install for FSUIPC and ran again over current install

This never makes any difference because the DLL is exactly the same, and that's the only part involved. If the DLL was corrupt it wouldn't load in any case because its signature would be wrong.

Below are Simconnect Logs and Install Logs:

If that's as far as the SimConnect log goes then it has not even tried to load FSUIPC. In fact it has done nothing.

The other log you showed was NOT the FSUIPC Install log, but the FSUIPC4.LOG, the run time log, which contradicts the SimConnect log because it shows FSUIPC4 did load. At least it did on one occasion at least -- you'd need to compare the data/time stamps on the files to see whether they correlate.

500 Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...

500 FS path = "F:\Flight Simulator X\"

The FSUIPC4 log shows that SimConnect never returned after FSUIPC4 ask for a connection. I suspect it crashed.

The Install log, which you omitted, might be useful, but most of all the Windows error report, as I said at the start. However, based on what you've said so far I think the SimConnect installtion is corrupted, and is crashing FSX as soon as anything tries to use it.

The only other thought I would have is a hardware problem, such as bad RAM stick. A faulty RAM can give any number of varied crashes depending on memory usage of course. Is your 16Gb of RAM on multiple sticks? If so I'd try a process of elimination with one removed at a time.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks for the reply. My initial post was made at 1am so was a bit tired and pasted the wrong log sorry.

You’ve put me on the right path by the looks using the Windows error log.

This morning I've had a look at the event viewer and it looks like the error is caused by dinput.DLL, which is part of DirectX that controllers use apparently. I've updated DirectX again (updated yesterday when I installed ROF) and run the installers for my yokes, joysticks, and panels which I had not done before perhaps this is significant?

I've done 8 consecutive clean boots of FSX with no CTD with FSUIPC enabled -the 9th did crash again with the same faulting .DLL.

Event Name: APPCRASH

Response: Not available

Cab Id: 0

Problem signature:

P1: fsx.exe

P2: 10.0.61637.0

P3: 46fadb14

P4: dinput.DLL

P5: 6.1.7600.16385

P6: 4a5bd9c0

P7: c0000005

P8: 00013f1d

Rebooted PC and have loaded FSX 4 clean loads - 5th CTD.

I guess FSUIPC must request from Win what controllers are installed to load them into the ini file and when Win pulled up the win DLL it caused the AppCrash, perhaps that is why it only occurred when FSUIP was running.

Thanks for your ideas and also thanks for what I consider the most useful application for FS ever devolved. Hence it's the first to be installed on a reinstall :razz:

If I manage to get anything further after trolling the MS Tech nets I’ll post for future reference if anyone gets this error in the future. In the mean time I can live with the odd CTD.

Regards Paul

I guess FSUIPC must request from Win what controllers are installed to load them into the ini file and when Win pulled up the win DLL it caused the AppCrash, perhaps that is why it only occurred when FSUIP was running.

Yes, but i don't understand why it is happenng intermittently. If there was a bad driver you'd think it would be more consistent. Does it still crash if you remove the FSUIPC4.KEY file, temporarily, so that FSUIPC effectively runs unregistered? It shouldn't then be looking at any devices at all.

There's another recent thread here concerning CTDs in DINPUT which has just been resolved with this conclusion:

It appears that the cause was the adaptor for the Saitek Cyborg wireless joystick. Removing that and uninstalling the software has got FSX working properly again.

Interestingly, although it seemed to by FSUIPC related, in this case FSUIPC was not registered and was not accessing the devices. Just the presence of FSUIPC changed timings etc and exacerbated a problem which was there in any case -- probably a driver which was incompatible with Win7.

[LATER]

Ian P. just posted this, which may be useful:

Saitek have just - within the last couple of weeks - released new drivers for the CyborgX USB stick that I use, which solved problems I was having, so it might be worth checking for a new version.

Regards

Pete

• 1 month later...

Just to update on this issue, I've proved I only get the CTD with a Logitech G-35 USB headset plugged in & FSUIPC enabled. Each in isolation works fine with FSX.

I tried all your sugestions Pete and still had the CTDs

I haven't found a solution as yet, but during testing I've found my Mobo is faulty also as the onboard sound card is faulty which may or may not have contributed to the CTDs. If I find anything further helpful I'll post.

Just to update on this issue, I've proved I only get the CTD with a Logitech G-35 USB headset plugged in & FSUIPC enabled. Each in isolation works fine with FSX.

Weird, then, because FSUIPC has nothing to do with sound devices, unless you are using a Lua plug-in which uses the sound library. However, it does build a list of sound devices in order to provide the sound configuration list in the INI file. For example here is mine:

[sounds]

Device1=Primary Sound Driver

Device2=Speakers (Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio)

Device3=Speakers (10- USB audio CODEC)

Device4=Realtek Digital Output(Optical) (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Device5=Digital Audio (S/PDIF) (Sound Blaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio)

Device6=Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Path=E:\FSX\Sound\

In order to make this list, FSUIPC enumerates DirectSound devices. Maybe something in this loop is a problem . But if there's a list already in the INI, FSUIPC does nothing. In fact it only takes one entry in the list to stop it ennumerating them on the next load (you'd need to delete the section to force it to re-scan).

Try this, to get more information: add these lines to the [General] section of the INI file:

Debug=Please

LogExtras=x20

Let me see the resulting log file please.

If there is no list of devices in the [sounds] section, or no [sounds] section, try just adding a dummy, like:

[sounds]

to stop it scanning.

If none of this bears fruit I'm afraid it's just down to some timing interaction in your drivers, when FS is opening the sound device, which is exacerbated by the differences having FSUIPC installed makes. The only thing I can think of then is to uninstall ad reinstall sound drivers, or those specific to the headset (if any).

Regards

Pete

Weird, then, because FSUIPC has nothing to do with sound devices, unless you are using a Lua plug-in which uses the sound library. However, it does build a list of sound devices in order to provide the sound configuration list in the INI file. For example here is mine:

I'm not running any Lua plug ins this is a vanilla install of FSX. My ini file looks similar:

[sounds]

Path=F:\Flight Simulator X\Sound\

Device2=Speakers (Logitech G35 Headset)

Device3=SMBX2331-3 (2- NVIDIA High Definition Audio)

Device4=Realtek Digital Output (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Device5=Realtek Digital Output(Optical) (Realtek High Definition Audio)

Deleted everything in the sounds module and had 2 CTD.Added

[sounds]

Device1=Primary Sound Driver and the debug logging

And had a successful load of FSX.

User Name="Paul"

User Addr="P.@xtra.co.nz"

FSUIPC4 Key is provided

Module base=61000000

1045 System time = 29/06/2012 20:38:50

1045 FLT path = "C:\Users\Caveman\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"

1076 Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...

1092 FS path = "F:\Flight Simulator X\"

1482 LogOptions=00000000 00000211

1482 Sound: Path=F:\Flight Simulator X\Sound\

1497 Wind smoothing fix is fully installed

1497 G3D.DLL fix attempt installed ok

1497 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay

1497 Trying to use SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07

2309 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61637.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)

2309 Initialising SimConnect data requests now

2309 FSUIPC Menu entry added

2355 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y

2355 F:\Flight Simulator X\FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.FLT

2355 F:\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aircreation_582SL\Aircreation_582SL.AIR

14258 System time = 29/06/2012 20:39:03

14258 *** FSUIPC log file being closed

G3D fix: Passes 572, Null pointers 0, Bad pointers 0, Separate instances 0

Memory managed: 4 Allocs, 4 Freed

********* FSUIPC Log file closed ***********

My INI file had Path=F:\Flight Simulator X\Sound\ added to it

Next load of FSX CTD log file showed:

Module base=61000000

1092 System time = 29/06/2012 20:41:55

1092 FLT path = "C:\Users\Caveman\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"

1124 Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...

1139 FS path = "F:\Flight Simulator X\"

tried 3 more times with CTDs the log file stopped at FS path each time. Deleted the INI file and reverted to the orginal and rebooted PC

1st load of FSX worked fine after reboot with "old" INI with debugging added, asked if want to load FSUIPC

User Name="Paul

FSUIPC4 Key is provided

Module base=61000000

1092 System time = 29/06/2012 20:47:08

1092 FLT path = "C:\Users\Caveman\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"

2387 Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...

2449 FS path = "F:\Flight Simulator X\"

2855 LogOptions=00000000 00000211

2855 Sound: Path=F:\Flight Simulator X\Sound\

2871 Wind smoothing fix is fully installed

2871 G3D.DLL fix attempt installed ok

2871 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay

2871 Trying to use SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07

7800 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61637.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)

7800 Initialising SimConnect data requests now

7800 FSUIPC Menu entry added

7847 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y

7847 F:\Flight Simulator X\FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.FLT

7847 F:\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aircreation_582SL\Aircreation_582SL.AIR

Closed FSX and opened again to get 1st CTD:

User Name="Paul "

FSUIPC4 Key is provided

Module base=0DA50000

1045 System time = 29/06/2012 20:53:31

1045 FLT path = "C:\Users\Caveman\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"

1076 Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...

1092 FS path = "F:\Flight Simulator X\"

3rd load of FSX after reboot Asked if FSUIPC was trusted - 2nd CTD

Module base=0C640000

1014 System time = 29/06/2012 20:56:12

1014 FLT path = "C:\Users\Caveman\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"

1045 Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...

1061 FS path = "F:\Flight Simulator X\"

4th time

Asked if want to load FSUIPC – yes 3rd CTD

Module base=0DAD0000

874 System time = 29/06/2012 21:01:15

874 FLT path = "C:\Users\Caveman\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"

905 Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...

921 FS path = "F:\Flight Simulator X\"

Hot unplug of Headset, asked if want to load FSUIPC -booted okay

Module base=61000000

983 System time = 29/06/2012 21:15:05

983 FLT path = "C:\Users\Caveman\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"

1014 Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...

1029 FS path = "F:\Flight Simulator X\"

1451 LogOptions=00000000 00000211

1451 Sound: Path=F:\Flight Simulator X\Sound\

1466 Wind smoothing fix is fully installed

1466 G3D.DLL fix attempt installed ok

1466 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay

1466 Trying to use SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07

2745 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61637.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)

2745 Initialising SimConnect data requests now

2745 FSUIPC Menu entry added

2792 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y

2792 F:\Flight Simulator X\FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.FLT

2792 F:\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aircreation_582SL\Aircreation_582SL.AIR

2nd boot okay without Head set, was not asked if want to load FSUIPC

Module base=61000000

890 System time = 29/06/2012 21:16:51

3rd boot okay was not asked if want to load FSUIPC

Module base=61000000

1108 System time = 29/06/2012 21:18:06

4 -12th boots to FSX loaded fine wasn't asked if I wanted to load FSUIPC - Module base=61000000 each time

Hot Plugged Headset back in 1st boot of FSX afterward was not asked if want to load FSUIPC - CTD

Module base=61000000

Stopped logging at FS path = "F:\Flight Simulator X\"

2nd boot after headset plugged in asked if want to load FSUIPC and loaded okay

Module base=61000000

936 System time = 29/06/2012 21:27:36

936 FLT path = "C:\Users\Caveman\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"

952 Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...

968 FS path = "F:\Flight Simulator X\"

1373 LogOptions=00000000 00000211

1373 Sound: Path=F:\Flight Simulator X\Sound\

1389 Wind smoothing fix is fully installed

1389 G3D.DLL fix attempt installed ok

1389 SimConnect_Open succeeded: waiting to check version okay

1389 Trying to use SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07

2512 Running in "Microsoft Flight Simulator X", Version: 10.0.61637.0 (SimConnect: 10.0.61259.0)

2512 Initialising SimConnect data requests now

2512 FSUIPC Menu entry added

2543 Ready Flags: Ready-To-Fly=N, In Menu=Y, In Dlg=Y

2543 F:\Flight Simulator X\FLIGHTS\OTHER\FLTSIM.FLT

2543 F:\Flight Simulator X\SimObjects\Airplanes\Aircreation_582SL\Aircreation_582SL.AIR

3rd Boot after H/Set CTD stopped logging at FS Path= "F:\Flight Simulator X\"

Module base=61000000

4th – 8th load of FSX after H/Set plugged in asked if want to load FSUIPC - CDT stopped logging at FS Path= "F:\Flight Simulator X\" each time

9th time I told it not to load FSUIPC and FSX booted the next 6 times afterwards when I declined to load FSUIPC FSX loaded. 1st time I said yes to load CTD log stopping at 1045 FS path = "F:\Flight Simulator X\"

Event Viewer shows dinput.dll as faulting module path each time.

Every time I get the CTD it seems I get asked if I want load FSUIPC before hand... don't know ith that has any bearing on the fault.

If none of this bears fruit I'm afraid it's just down to some timing interaction in your drivers, when FS is opening the sound device, which is exacerbated by the differences having FSUIPC installed makes. The only thing I can think of then is to uninstall ad reinstall sound drivers, or those specific to the headset (if any).

I've done that a number of times including trying deafult drivers, legacy drivers all with the same result.

Cheers Paul

Every time I get the CTD it seems I get asked if I want load FSUIPC before hand... don't know ith that has any bearing on the fault.

No, it is only doing that because the previous "trust" acknowledgement didn't get recorded in the FSX.CFG file -- FSX only saves an updated CFG file when it terminates normally.

All your results certainly show some bad interaction between the headset and FSX, with FSUIPC's presence only assisting by altering the timing of events. With that dummy entry in the [sounds] section of the INI, FSUIPC is no longer scanning Direct Sound devices, so it isn't this. The fact that your CTDs are (presumably) all in DINPUT.DLL does mean there's some conflict between device drivers at quite a low level. Maybe there's an IRQ (interrupt) assignment conflict beng made by the BIOS. In the old days, of simpler Windows systems, one could adjust these quite easily, but i think it is all automatic now and I wouldn't advise messing.

The only other thing I can think of doing for you is to move the initialisation of DirectInput devices to a later time during the startup of FSUIPC, to see if avoiding talking to direct Input at perhaps the same time as FSX is doing so manages to avoid the clash which is taking place. If it isn't this action, however, it will be a waste of both your time and mine, so please do this next test first:

Remove the FSUIPC4.KEY file from the Modules folder -- or simply rename it. This will make your FSUIPC4 installation appear unregistered. As a consequence it will have nothing to do with any Direct Input device. If that succeeds then I'll try to find a way to add an option to delay Direct Input device activation.

Regards

Pete

Some suggestions:

Do a memory scan, you have quite a bit of ram, and its possible that one of your sticks may be corrupted. Download and run Memtest86 (you will need to burn it to a disc). With that amount of ram it will take a few hours to do a thorough scan.

http://www.memtest86.com/

DirectX updates here :

DX9c

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109

DX11

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=17431

... I'll try to find a way to add an option to delay Direct Input device activation.

I added such an option in any case, because it was easy to do and may possibly come in useful.

Download and install FSUIPC4839a.zip.

In the [General] section of FSUIPC4 you would need to have

InitDelay=30

InitDelayDevicesToo=Yes

or whatever delay might work. The device initialisation is delayed to the same point as the Simconnect initialisation.

I don't really hold out a lot of hope. Checking other things such as your memory sticks, as suggested by alaxus, is probably still your better hope.

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete

Remove the FSUIPC4.KEY file from the Modules folder -- or simply rename it. This will make your FSUIPC4 installation appear unregistered. As a consequence it will have nothing to do with any Direct Input device. If that succeeds then I'll try to find a way to add an option to delay Direct Input device activation.

As requested 1st load of FSX okay, 2nd CTD halting at FS path = "F:\Flight Simulator X\" according to the log, 3rd load okay, 4th CTD halting at the same path, 5th Okay, 6th CTD, 7th Okay, 8th CTD, 9th OK, 10 - 13th CTD halting at the same place each time.

User Name=""

User Addr=""

FSUIPC4 not user registered

Module base=61000000

967 System time = 30/06/2012 15:45:07

967 FLT path = "C:\Users\Caveman\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"

998 Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...

1014 FS path = "F:\Flight Simulator X\"

Do a memory scan, you have quite a bit of ram, and its possible that one of your sticks may be corrupted. Download and run Memtest86 (you will need to burn it to a disc). With that amount of ram it will take a few hours to do a thorough scan.

Good advice - already tried test with Memtest 86 for a 18 hour pd, plus I've removed my RAM tried a few sticks out of my parnters machine with the same result.

DirectX updates here :

DX9c

Thanks loaded it last week but done it again,
that’s audio and a power point about DirectX 11 Technologies.

Thanks for the ideas though.

Download and install FSUIPC4839a.zip.

In the [General] section of FSUIPC4 you would need to have

InitDelay=30

InitDelayDevicesToo=Yes

Installed and did a reboot to be safe.

1st load okay then realised when I looked at the log FSUIPC was not registered. Changed the key file and CTD halting at the same place. Next boot the same – CTD.

Pulled the Headset and next 8 times FSX loaded fine.

Plugged in Headset and CTD

********* FSUIPC4, Version 4.839a by Pete Dowson *********

User Name="Paul"

User Addr="@xtra.co.nz"

FSUIPC4 Key is provided

Module base=61000000

1030 System time = 30/06/2012 16:27:33

1030 FLT path = "C:\Users\Caveman\Documents\Flight Simulator X Files\"

1045 Trying to connect to SimConnect Acc/SP2 Oct07 ...

1061 FS path = "F:\Flight Simulator X\"

I’m going to return my motherboard on Monday because as I said in the previous post the on board sound card isn’t working. I only posted yesterday to give an update if anyone else has this problem for pointers, and didn’t expect any help.

I’m picking with a new mobo, I’ll have to do another reinstall again of O/S and FSX. I’ll update if anything changes, but at least the problem would be masked as I could use a 3.5mm headset.

Regards Paul

As requested 1st load of FSX okay, 2nd CTD halting at FS path = "F:\Flight Simulator X\" according to the log, 3rd load okay, 4th CTD halting at the same path, 5th Okay, 6th CTD, 7th Okay, 8th CTD, 9th OK, 10 - 13th CTD halting at the same place each time.

In that case it certainly isn't due to anything FSUIPC itself is doing. The crash is actually happening whilst FSUIPC is waiting for SimConnect to return, and since FSUIPC won't be starting any device threads for an unregistered install, it isn't actually doing anything at that time.

I've no idea why it should only crash when FSUIPC is installed -- as I said a while back it can only be due to the different timing of events or memory arrangements.

One last thing you could try is removing the FSX.CFG file from its place in your AppData Microsoft FSX folder so that FSX makes another and reverts to defaults. If that stops the CTDs it becomes a matter of elimination to see which settings in the original CFG may be responsible. One of the things which can crash FSX is a corrupt WX file asociated with the default Flight. This ternds to affect FS more with FSUIPC installed because it requests weather from SimConnect so forcing the latter to decode the WX file. However, FSUIPC doesn't (cannot) request weather until after the SimConnection is made, so it doesn't seem that's a likely cause.

Pulled the Headset and next 8 times FSX loaded fine.

Well, that certainly seems to be pretty conclusive in terms of what it is related to. But "why?" is the question.

I’m going to return my motherboard on Monday because as I said in the previous post the on board sound card isn’t working.

I wonder if the way it isn't working is actually part of the problem. Have you disabled it in Windows device manager to stop drivers being loaded for it?

Regards

Pete

Good advice - already tried test with Memtest 86 for a 18 hour pd, plus I've removed my RAM tried a few sticks out of my parnters machine with the same result.

Ahh your ahead of me, thats good. I hope you find out what your issues are.

• 1 year later...

Cleaning up my bookmarks folders and found this thread

I'm posting in the event someone else has the same misfortune as me.

I got this resolved in the end, took the mobo back to the shop and they replaced it as the on-board sound card wasn't working - rebuilt the machine, and still had the same problem. After lots of late nights I took the box to a local PC shop who's owner is also into Flight Sim, and on his recommendation got rid of the two 8GB Corsair RAM sticks and installed four 4GB Kingston HyperX sticks. Problem solved. 

Thanks for your help on this Pete and very sorry to have wasted your time. When I started the thread, at the time I was convinced it was something to do with FSUIPC. I believe in hindsight FSUIPC was only causing FSX to access a particular section of the RAM which was testing okay but was flaky.