The simFlight Network Forums

Axis responsiveness - Limited?

Hi,

I would like to change the responsiveness (and out value) of my elevator axis and I wonder if it can be done through FSUIPC.

In short I would like to keep a lineair response (not curved) but not to the full deflection.

So pushing/pulling the elevator on my yoke fully, should result in a max out value of for example +/-13000 (instead of +/-16384)

Basically I'm looking for a way to dampen and limiting the elevator axis response.

I know I can change (i.e. dampen) the out value through the calibration curve, but this isn't what I want.

When curved, at higher axis deflections, the out value suddenly increases rapidly. I don't want this to happen (i.e. liniair)

I hope you understand what I'm trying to accomplish.

Egbert

Edit the fsuipc4.ini calibration data for the axis in question directly in notepad so that the extremes of the elevator axis have a number that your device cannot possibly reach, such as +/-20000, I think that should work. Pete will surely correct me if I am wrong and this isn't possible with FSUIPC.

I would like to change the responsiveness (and out value) of my elevator axis and I wonder if it can be done through FSUIPC.

In short I would like to keep a lineair response (not curved) but not to the full deflection.

So pushing/pulling the elevator on my yoke fully, should result in a max out value of for example +/-13000 (instead of +/-16384)

Basically I'm looking for a way to dampen and limiting the elevator axis response.

Strange requirement. The aircraft flight control ranges are designed by the aircraft designer to allow the aircraft to be flown correctly. Limiting the range which can be set by the pilot seems to indicate that the aircraft designer got it all wrong. Have you looked into correcting that, by perhaps changing the control effectiveness coefficients in the aircraft you have problems with? e.g.

elevator_effectiveness = 1.0

aileron_effectiveness = 1.0

rudder_effectiveness = 1.0

elevator_trim_effectiveness = 1.0

aileron_trim_effectiveness = 1.0

rudder_trim_effectiveness = 1.0

Or even altering the limits, like these:

elevator_up_limit = 22.5 //Degrees

elevator_down_limit = 19.5 //Degrees

If it must be with the inputs rather than the results, then one way you could do that is to first calibrate normally, in FSUIPC, then edit the values stored in the calibration lines in the INI file. For example, my throttle calibrates like this:

Throttle1=-16355,-2080,1152,16340

and changing this to

Throttle1=-32710,-2080,1152,32680

limits its effect, in both directions,to half what it was, simply because FSUIPC is fooled into believing that its imput range far exceeds the needed one.

If you are also assigning in FSUIPC, not just calibrating, then an alternative which I've never tried but which should work, is to calibrate as normal, but then edit the axis assignment line in the INI to scale down the input. Axis scaling is covered in the advanced users guide. If you wanted to half the effectiveness you'd scale by adding ,*0.5 to the end of the axis assignment line.

[LATER]

I see Andy got in first with one of my suggestions! Thanks Andy!

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete and Andy,

Thanks for your replies.

The reason why I'm asking that I never used full deflection of the elevators.

I would like to have more axis travel (without going to full deflection), so I can fly more precise during approach

The reason why I'm asking that I never used full deflection of the elevators.

I know it isn't very often you'd need to -- only in an emergency or bad situation you shouldn't have got into in the first place. But if the aircraft is designed with such deflections allowed, they are like that for a reason. It would really be better to correct the design if it is wrong (the parameters I mentioned) than limit your control.

I would like to have more axis travel (without going to full deflection), so I can fly more precise during approach

Yes, and that is exactly what the slope facilities are provided for, to give more precise control in the normal range of use but without preventing full deflections in the rare times they might be actually needed.

Anyway, you now have ways of doing what you want to do, so it's your choice. ;-)

Regards

Pete