The simFlight Network Forums

Axis Assignment Conflict

On a Saitek throttle quadrant I have assigned the three levers (throttle, prop, mixture) to operate the landing gear, spoilers, and parking brake. 

The problem I am having is that when I retract the spoilers, it also retracts the landing gear.  This only happens when the spoiler lever is brought all the way back to the stop.  It doesn't have any other effect on the gear.  In other words, once the gear is retracted, the spoiler lever doesn't affect it.  I can recycle the gear lever and the gear extends ok.  Any idea how I can correct this?

The other question I have is concerning the mixture lever that I assigned to operate the parking brakes. I can't seem to operate it so that the parking brake is on or off without recycling the lever full range in both directions.

I have to move the lever all the way forward then all the way back to engage the parking brake.  To release the parking brake I have to again move the lever all the way forward and all the way back. 

Is there a way to engage the parking brake on by just pushing the lever forward and to disengage by simply pulling it back?

Thanks, 

Jim

The problem I am having is that when I retract the spoilers, it also retracts the landing gear.  This only happens when the spoiler lever is brought all the way back to the stop.  It doesn't have any other effect on the gear.  In other words, once the gear is retracted, the spoiler lever doesn't affect it.  I can recycle the gear lever and the gear extends ok.  Any idea how I can correct this?

The only possibe explanation, apart from dual assignments for that axis, is that you've got the button which is depressed on the Saitek lever when you pull it all the way back assigned to the gear.

The other question I have is concerning the mixture lever that I assigned to operate the parking brakes. I can't seem to operate it so that the parking brake is on or off without recycling the lever full range in both directions.

I have to move the lever all the way forward then all the way back to engage the parking brake.  To release the parking brake I have to again move the lever all the way forward and all the way back. 

It seems you have not assigned the range of movement to the controls, then. Please see the example in the FSUIPC user guide for assigning the gear lever to an axis. It would be similar. Using axis assignment for such as parking brake is most unusual -- there are only two values use out of the 32,768 you are sending. You need to assign in two ranges instead.

Pete

Hi Pete,

It was indeed the button on the lever assigned to the gear up function. Strange because I had never (to my knowledge) programmed this. In fact, I have never used this throttle quadrant for anything. Oh well, it's fixed now. I also got the parking brake working correctly by assigning the proper range of movement.

Thanks for the help.

Jim

Any joystick when it is connected to FS for the first time (in any particular USB port) will cause FS to assign a default set of assignments whether you want it to or not. As long as you only ever plug that joystick into that socket your custom assignments will remain in place, if you plug that joystick into a different USB port however the default set of assignments will be assigned again.