The simFlight Network Forums

Maximum number of programmable joystick buttons?

I have a Saitek X-65F HOTAS system, which includes a joystick, a throttle and a button panel. I have programmed and used it with FSUIPC in both FSX and P3d without issue until now. The system has a possible 50 programmable buttons and when I tried to program buttons in the range 33-36 and 40-41 (all located on the throttle), I can't assign a task to them in FSUIPC. The other buttons on the throttle work fine with FSUIPC as do all the buttons on the panel and joystick.

All the buttons show up when pressed in the control panel app. They also show up fine in LINDA, which I don't use but I wanted to see if the buttons showed up.  The X-65F is not assigned as a controller in P3d 2.1.

I have a Saitek X-65F HOTAS system, which includes a joystick, a throttle and a button panel. I have programmed and used it with FSUIPC in both FSX and P3d without issue until now. The system has a possible 50 programmable buttons and when I tried to program buttons in the range 33-36 and 40-41 (all located on the throttle), I can't assign a task to them in FSUIPC.

FSUIPC uses a Windows interface for joysticks which only gives access to 32 buttons on up to 16 joysticks. This is stated clearly somewhere in the documentation. There are other ways of accessing more, but only via Lua plug-in methods. The expansion of the Windows facilities to allow up to 64 buttons per device was much later than the design of FSUIPC, and I really cannot justify the complex changes which would be needed to accommodate this in FSUIPC, not at this stage after 16 years. It would be too precarious. Sorry.

Pete

• 8 months later...

I have a Saitek X65F system and have just found out that FSUIPC only support from 0-31 = 32 joystick buttons, - would be nice with more.

The work-a-round to this problem is programming the X65F with ProFlight Smart Technology software for the rest of the buttons.

I have found a free Joystick Test Application program which can detect and show up to 50 buttons for the X65F.

wizzy