The simFlight Network Forums

Autosave names

Each time I have to load an autosaved flight I'm having a hard time to figure out the logic behind the numbers within the saved file. As it is, the only clue I can handle is the week day and a preview. However in some situations, when for instance I have to load a certain autosaved panel status into the FMC of a PMDG 777 there will only be these cryptic numbers present which leaves me with absolutely no idea of what to choose.

Am I missing something?..certainly hope so! 

Each time I have to load an autosaved flight I'm having a hard time to figure out the logic behind the numbers within the saved file. As it is, the only clue I can handle is the week day and a preview. However in some situations, when for instance I have to load a certain autosaved panel status into the FMC of a PMDG 777 there will only be these cryptic numbers present which leaves me with absolutely no idea of what to choose.

Am I missing something?..certainly hope so! 

Cryptic numbers? Like what, please? I use no cryptic numbers, only day and time, so you know how long ago your restart will take you. DDD HHMMSS, day of week, hour minute second. How much easier could it be?

Pete

DDD HHMMSS,

Okay now I know that at least - I must have missed it somewhere in your comprehensive manual..

However, unfortunately not that easy. A date is also required in order to make sense of it all. "Fri", "Mon" etc. is not clear as there's obviously lots of these during the month and years.

DDD HHMMSS,

Okay now I know that at least - I must have missed it somewhere in your comprehensive manual..

However, unfortunately not that easy. A date is also required in order to make sense of it all. "Fri", "Mon" etc. is not clear as there's obviously lots of these during the month and years.

Well, I didn't anticipate people accumulating or saving these for so long. A week seems more than ample when the whole idea of Autosave was to allow a previous position to be reattained after a crash (aircraft or FS or PC crash). And the old ones are deleted as new ones are created, only saving a certain number (10 by default). Surely you aren't using autosaved files as starting positions dating back more than a few minutes, or hours. Why isn't a week enough?

If for some strange reason you do want more definitive dating please just look at the date of the file..

Pete

No such "strange reason", please! As it is the file name is unclear because autosaves are kept over such a long period - if not possible to add any further identity to the autosave files, would there perhaps then be a way to edit the ini file so that autosaved files only are kept for a week?  

No such "strange reason", please! As it is the file name is unclear because autosaves are kept over such a long period - if not possible to add any further identity to the autosave files, would there perhaps then be a way to edit the ini file so that autosaved files only are kept for a week?  

Why are your autosave files kept for a long time?  I have autosaves made every 3 minutes, with a maximum of 10 saved. After 30 minutes flying the ones older than 30 minutes old are gone!  Please explain to me what you are doing which results in such confusion, then maybe I'll understand, because at present it does seem to me extremely strange.

The autosave system in FSUIPC is the same as it was in the separate Autosave module for FS204 and actually dates way back to FS98 days, i.e. 16 years, with no one ever being so confused or wanting it changed in the way you are suggesting.

Pete

Confused or not. All I can say is that, for some reason, my FSUIPC is keeping 132 FSUIPC autosaves back from the year 2009!

My FSUIPC.ini looks like this:

[AutoSave]
AutoSaveEnabled=Yes
Interval=120
Files=10
SaveOnGround=Yes
Next=7
1=Fri 044157
2=Fri 044837
3=Fri 045636
4=Fri 045836
5=Fri 050235
6=Fri 051233
7=Fri 042401
8=Fri 042601
9=Fri 043758
10=Fri 043958

Confused or not. All I can say is that, for some reason, my FSUIPC is keeping 132 FSUIPC autosaves back from the year 2009!

My FSUIPC.ini looks like this:

[AutoSave]

AutoSaveEnabled=Yes

Interval=120

Files=10

SaveOnGround=Yes

Next=7

1=Fri 044157

2=Fri 044837

3=Fri 045636

4=Fri 045836

5=Fri 050235

6=Fri 051233

7=Fri 042401

8=Fri 042601

9=Fri 043758

10=Fri 043958

It isn't FSUIPC keeping those. It is keeping 10, those 10 shown above, all for Friday. Maybe you aren't looking at the FLT/WX files but some files saved by some other add-on aircraft? FSUIPC can manage those for you too, but you have to give it the details of their names and locations, as documented.

Pete

No Pete I already excluded all the odd ones. The 123 autosaved files are all saved by FSUIPC as confirmed in both the Flight Simulator X Files folder and in the FSX flight loader browser itself. 

No Pete I already excluded all the odd ones. The 123 autosaved files are all saved by FSUIPC as confirmed in both the Flight Simulator X Files folder and in the FSX flight loader browser itself. 

The files are all FLT, WX and FSSAVED files?  Really? There's no way FSUIPC wouldn't delete those unless you've deleted the INI file on occasion, which would destroy its ability to erase them because the list of the last 10 would be gone.

FSUIPC doesn't actuall save any files, BTW, it simply calls the FS facilities to save them, sane as you can via the ; key or the menus. They will all say "saved by FSUIPC" in the comments because that comment is provided to FS.

Pete

For one reason or another...anyway, the fact is that things are not working, so what would you suggest me to do in order to solve this problem?

Delete all the old files (go by file date), leave only those listed in the INI - or simply delete them all if you don't really want to resume flying from any. Then tell me EXACTLY in what circumstances you get one left over from the 10 in future. Otherwise there's really nothing I can do. As I said, the facility has been working for everyone else for over 15 years and i'm not about to change anything now without good and proven reason.

Pete

OK Pete, I appreciate your help and quick answers.

After you uncovered all the sorted details about how this autosave function is programmed and supposed to work with only 10 autosaves, I no longer see any point of change anything here. :) 

I'll be back with results...