The simFlight Network Forums

PFC yoke and Prepar 3D , want more sensitivity

Have a new PFC yoke, it feels a bit slow, I want more sensitivity.

I calibrated if in FSUIPC and the slope graph is #15 which I think is the most sensitive one correct?

Still would like a bit more responsiveness.

Is it possible to achieve it?

Have a new PFC yoke, it feels a bit slow, I want more sensitivity.

I calibrated if in FSUIPC and the slope graph is #15 which I think is the most sensitive one correct?

Still would like a bit more responsiveness.

Is it possible to achieve it?

You should absolutely NEVER need anything out side the normal slope by more than a little flatness, to actually LESSEN sensitivity a little near the centre where otherwise you get a tendency to over correct. Really the linear response (0) is what the aircraft designers have designed for.

The properly calibrated yoke will deliver the entire range from full up to full down elevator and full left to full right aileron. The rest is up to the aircraft model. A fast fighter jet or an aerobatic stunt plane will give you a much more sprightly and immediate response than a large airliner or prop. If you aren't happy with the modelling, find a better model, or revise your thoughts as to what feels correct.

No yoke will be any different in this regard. It isn't the sensitivity of the yoke, it is the behaviour of the aircraft.

Pete

I fly a Cessna 182 for real, I fly it just with two fingers on the yoke a very small input gives you movement.

Now in Prepar 3D all the planes are fine really, it is the A2A 172 the one that feels sluggish in aileron response.

I have plenty of hours in Cessna 172 and are not as slow to respond.

I fly a Cessna 182 for real, I fly it just with two fingers on the yoke a very small input gives you movement.

Now in Prepar 3D all the planes are fine really, it is the A2A 172 the one that feels sluggish in aileron response.

I think you need to deal with the A2A folks about this, then.

I am pretty sure that you can change parameters in the Aircraft.CFG file to alter aileron and elevator (and rudder) effectiveness. Perhaps you can experiment and apply your practical knowledge to the problem, then, when you have it right, inform A2A of just how wrong they have it and how to put it right.

This isn't my arae of expertise so I'm not the one to advise on aircraft modelling. All I know is that it is wrong to attribute the blame to the controls and there's no way of making them truly more sensitive without penalty, such as limiting the amount of movement you can apply. Obviously if the whole range of the control input were applied only to the central region of surface movement, then , yes, a small amount of yoke movement would yield a bigger amount of surface movement. But that wouldn't make the reaction of the aircraft less "sluggish" -- the actual speed at which the aircraft reacts to the surface changes is to do with the modelling.

BTW re-reading your original post, I see this is in error:

I just checked, and slope 15 is the least sensitive in the central area, as clearly indicated by the central flattening. If you want a faster response in the centre, then the negative slopes, down to -15 are obviously the ones, as the steep centre slope shows. Of course, in order to maintain the complete range over the yoke movement, you pay for this will less sensitivity at the extremes.

I have plenty of hours in Cessna 172 and are not as slow to respond.

I've not tried any A2A aircraft, so I can't compare. I learned to fly in a Cessna 150 and 150A, and also flew a Cherokee for a bit. But because of my Retinitis Pigmentosa (only discovered when having my medical ready to go solo) i never could proceed to a license. That is why, all those years ago, I resorted to simulation.

Pete

I see there is a PFC file for FSX, what is it for? And will it work with Prepar 3D?

My PFC and PFCFSX drivers are for the serial port PFC models, no longer made -- all of their new equipment is pure USB. There is a PFCHID driver for the USB consoles and throttle quadrant, but their current yokes and pedals are normal USB joystick devices and need nothing extra.

And yes, my FSX stuff all works with specific supported versions of P3D -- they rely on FSUIPC for the interface, so you'd need to see the release data for FSUIPC to check versions supported.

as Pete already said just tune the value in aircraft.cfg file. I use a value of 2.800 here (original it is 1.000) for the A2A 172

Thanks Thomas. Does A2A know their modelling is so far out?

Regards

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks Thomas. Does A2A know their modelling is so far out?

In case their product was developed and tested by as well actual pilots it should be ok, may be corrected for the market.

Actually I did fly a C172 and can confirm that their sensitivity of the aileron is far out.