The simFlight Network Forums

Loss of controlls

Hi

Im running FSX on Win8 and have for a very long time had problems with fsx losing my joystick. Everyone told me the solution was to buy the paid verion of FSUIPC4, so a few days ago, I did.

I have set upp my flightcontrolls with button asssignments and everything and it workd wonders until today on my first flight with it.

It started of good but 2hrs later at the destination the assigned buttons didnt work at all, I checked inside FSUIPC and it didnt react to any buttons on the joystick. However the axes was till working. 

I turned around and 2hrs after that (in the same session) I disconnected the AP and noticed that both axes and buttons didnt work. FSUIPC didnt react to anything. 

The strange thing is that I have EZdok assigned to the HAT switch and a few other buttons on the joystick and that was working all along... 
A simple restart of FSX solved all problems. 

Does FSUIPC lose the controlls also just as FSX did before? 

Please help me 

Does FSUIPC lose the controlls also just as FSX did before? 

FSUIPC uses the exact same identical Windows facilities for reading joystick axes and buttons as FSX does, no difference at all. I've no idea why folks sometimes say they behave differently -- though these is one difference. FSUIPC will re-scan for devices each time you enter one of its assignment Tabs in its options. It also rescans devices if it sees a USB disconnection and reconnection, unlike FSX which only ever scans for devices when first loaded. Maybe that little difference sometimes helps -- I really don't know, nor do I know why Windows 8 users suffer these problems so much.

Your experience, where even going into FSUIPC and seeing no reaction to buttons, means that, in your case at least, rescanning devices doesn't solve the problem, whatever it is. Maybe it is more related to the devices themselves, so I suppose you could try unplugging and re-plugging in the USBs then checking in FSUIPC.

Regards

Pete

Thanks for your answer. 

I guess this world is full of experts. So then I understand that it is exactly the same problem as before then. If FSUIPC rescans for connected USB devices, unplug and plug in the devices might solve it? I will try that when I get the chance next time. I think this problem in Win8 has something to do with powersaving of the USB hubs. I have disabled these aswell but no difference, although I had explained to me that that might still be the causative factor.

Thanks for your help anyways,,

//Kristian

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday I lost control of my yoke. I'll admit the basic problem here is the yoke, but what happened after that is relevant.

I unplugged and then re-plugged the yoke, which is my only known fix until I buy a new yoke (I guess), but although FSX accepted this treatment, FSUIPC didn't. I have the axes configured through FSUIPC and that didn't return to normal. Then I entered the "Axis assignment" tab and saw the same: FSUIPC did not respond to the yoke anymore. I also lost the button assignments. Luckily I managed to re-configure FSX to pick up the yoke, so I could finish the flight, but FSUIPC did not see it.

After landing I tried some more things and noticed that the calibration tab was working and showed values for the yoke! Could it be that the game-controller status in only the assignment scanner is the culprit?

Cheers,

Bert Laverman

I am having similar issues. 

I have experienced the loss of my controls with just FSX, I have done the USB power save fix to no avail. I then purchased the full version of FSUICP earlier this week. I spent extensive time setting up the axes and buttons to where it worked perfectly. Tonight I was about an hour into a flight when I noticed that my hat switch was no longer responsive. I opened the FSUIPC GUI and nothing was recognized. FSX had stopped seeing my controllers. I have them connected to a powered USB hub. I cycled the power to no avail and then changed the port I had my hub connected to which also didn't work I am growing frustrated that even the "Fix" wasn't a valid solution. 

I am running Windows 8 with the PMDG 737NGX for software and I am using Saiteks Pro Flight series yoke with throtal quadrant and rudder pedals. Any help and further solutions would be greatly appreciated. And if it permanent all the better.

Thanks Again

Michael Vernon 

I unplugged and then re-plugged the yoke, which is my only known fix until I buy a new yoke (I guess), but although FSX accepted this treatment, FSUIPC didn't. I have the axes configured through FSUIPC and that didn't return to normal. Then I entered the "Axis assignment" tab and saw the same: FSUIPC did not respond to the yoke anymore. I also lost the button assignments. Luckily I managed to re-configure FSX to pick up the yoke, so I could finish the flight, but FSUIPC did not see it.

That's odd, because FSUIPC does do a re-scan when you enter the relevant options screen, whilst with FS once a control is disconnected it is normally necessary to restart FS to get it seen again.

After landing I tried some more things and noticed that the calibration tab was working and showed values for the yoke! Could it be that the game-controller status in only the assignment scanner is the culprit?

The calibration tab works with FS controls, no matter where they come from, so if you assigned things in FSX the calibration is still active. It is nothing to do with assignments, they are two distinct functions.

Is the AutoScanDevices parameter in the INI file set to "Yes"?

I also ALWAYS need to know the version number of FSUIPC please. If not the latest try updating.

I am having similar issues. 

I have experienced the loss of my controls with just FSX, I have done the USB power save fix to no avail. I then purchased the full version of FSUICP earlier this week. I spent extensive time setting up the axes and buttons to where it worked perfectly. Tonight I was about an hour into a flight when I noticed that my hat switch was no longer responsive. I opened the FSUIPC GUI and nothing was recognized. FSX had stopped seeing my controllers. I have them connected to a powered USB hub. I cycled the power to no avail and then changed the port I had my hub connected to which also didn't work I am growing frustrated that even the "Fix" wasn't a valid solution. 

Not similar if nothing, neither FSUIPC nor FSX saw them.

I'm afraid I am very doubtful that FSUIPC can "fix" bugs in Windows 8 and Saitek drivers. I don't know who's been spreading such rumours, but none has ever emanated from me. FSUIPC does virtually the same thing as FSX, using the same Windows interface etc. I really don't see why there could be any difference.

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

I'm having problems with this issue and I'm NOT using Windows 8. I have registered version of FSUIPC and Windows 7. If I unplug a USB device FSUIPC rescans the USB devices and reassigns numbers in the [JoyNames] section.

But here is the problem: if you have assigned a device to be sent directly to FSUIPC, the number in the [Axes] section may no longer correspond to the (now different) device number in the [JoyNames] section.

Am I doing something wrong?

I'm having problems with this issue and I'm NOT using Windows 8. I have registered version of FSUIPC and Windows 7. If I unplug a USB device FSUIPC rescans the USB devices and reassigns numbers in the [JoyNames]

Well, to be exact, it checks for devices in the Registry, and uses the number assigned there by Windows. It must use those numbers in the calls it makes to the Windows joyposex API. If Windows assigns different numbers it's because you use different sockets, or other devices take the number last assigned.

But here is the problem: if you have assigned a device to be sent directly to FSUIPC, the number in the [Axes] section may no longer correspond to the (now different) device number in the [JoyNames] section.

If you are changing connections, simply use FSUIPC's joystick lettering facilities which is designed explicitly for this. There's a section on this in the User Guide -- see the contents list, easy to find, near the beginning.

Am I doing something wrong?

Well, unplugging things isn't generally a good idea, certainly. And maybe not referring to documentation?

Pete