The simFlight Network Forums

Throttle response sensitive / unsmooth

Hi Pete,

I've about run out of ideas concerning the below throttle

setup problem.

The topic title pretty much tells all ~ :)

The aircraft affected is primarily the PMDG JS4100. Throttle response

is good with other aircraft (ie. PMDG B777, MD11, NGX, etc.)

My FSUIPC version is 4937b (payware).

Flight Sim is FSX Acceleration (in Win 7-64)

I'm using CH Pro USB throttle and have it set up (calibrated)

in FSUIPC (aircraft specific). For a very short throttle movement it

yields an unreasonably large response as viewed on the EIS Torque gauge,

and the response is twitchy and uneven. Thrust is very hard to

set / control. Any tips will be welcome.

Two screen caps' attached showing my FSUIPC settings.

Thank you,

Ken Boardman

post-7851-0-76777700-1414968373.jpg

post-7851-0-28918000-1414968404.jpg

The aircraft affected is primarily the PMDG JS4100. Throttle response

is good with other aircraft (ie. PMDG B777, MD11, NGX, etc.)

For a very short throttle movement it

yields an unreasonably large response as viewed on the EIS Torque gauge,

and the response is twitchy and uneven. Thrust is very hard to

set / control. Any tips will be welcome.

Since your other aircraft are okay, it is going to be a specific problem with just that one, and obviously not with FSUIPC or your hardware. Have you asked their support?

Maybe it doesn't like the old FS98 type throttle controls (ThrottleN_set, rather than Axis_ThrottleN_Set) which have to be used when calibrating with a reverse part of the axis. I believe there are a few like that. If it operates okay without the Mapping to the 4 throttles (which will allow it to use standard FSX controls) then that is the reason, and you will have to find another way to apply reverse -- either a separate reverser lever, or using buttons to operate throttle decr controls (like pressing F2).

Pete

Thank you for the fast reply Pete, and for the tips and info.  I do have Rev thrust programmed to a throttle button and it works well
that way.  The most troublesome problem is the Large torque changes that occur with small movements of the throttle (much too
sensitive).  My PC PSU failed last night so I've RMA'd it.  Can't wait for the replacement to arrive so I can try some other / new
things to get the CH Pro throttle to function properly with the JS4100.  I've never used the ThrottleN_set or the Axis_ThrottleN_Set.

I'll study up on them and give them a try. There's got to be a way to get the engine torque changes to more accurately follow throttle

hardware movement.  Thank you again for all that you do (and all you have done) for us Pete. When there is a Flight Sim Hall of Fame
you will certainly be one of the first to be admitted ~ :)
Best regards,
Ken

Thank you for the fast reply Pete, and for the tips and info.  I do have Rev thrust programmed to a throttle button and it works well

that way.  The most troublesome problem is the Large torque changes that occur with small movements of the throttle (much too

sensitive).

Well this must surely be down to poor programming in the JS4100. The full range of your throttle control should go from full idle one end to full thrust the other. If it is reaching full thrust after only a small movement then either your throttle is simply not calibrated properly or there's a bug in the aircraft programming.

The only way sensitivity can be reduced over the complete range of thgrottle movement is by editing the FSUIPC INI file and changing the max calibrated value for it in the calibration section. For instance doubling it 9eg from 16000 to 32000) would halve the sensitivity. but the result would be that when the throttle is full forward you only get 50% thrust That is, unless the JS4100 is programmed that badly that 50% thrust input gives 100% output!

You can of course change the sensitivity over part of the lever movement by using the "slopes" option in FSUIPC calibration. You can make it less sensitive at the lower end, but that's at the cost of making it more sensitive at the upper end. You can't have one without the other if you are going to be able to have the full range.

I've never used the ThrottleN_set or the Axis_ThrottleN_Set.

Well in that case you've never used a throttle axis for separate engines. The only other controls are Throttle set (all engines) and axs throttle set (all engines).. FSX assignment uses Axis throttle set or Axis throttleN set (N=engine number).  For revere zones FSUIPC uses ThrottleN set because you can't get reverse on Axis ... controls.

I'll study up on them and give them a try.

You have already been using ThrottleN set if you've been using the 4 throttles calibration. How many throttle levers do you have. If just the one, and you are not using a reverse zone, just assign tothe normal axis throttle set and calibrate on the first page, for all engines.

Pete

I simplified the JS41's FSUIPC calibration by  not  mapping to the 4 throttles, and throttle sensitivity is now much improved.  I have a button on the CH Pro

Throttle that I depress to get 100% reverse thrust.  Interestingly, that button will not function properly unless the throttle is calibrated in FSUIPC > I could only get

the throttle partly into the "beta" (reverse) range and it would not stay there.  It kept popping back up to near idle.  When calibrated in FSUIPC, the programmed

throttle button (when depressed and held) will move the throttle all the way into reverse thrust and keep it there.  I haven't tried applying a slope yet,  but I'll

get to it soonly.

Thank you for your insight and tips here, Pete.

Best regards,

Ken