The simFlight Network Forums

Problem with rudder-axis

Hi!

I'm having trouble assigning the "rudder" to the Z-rotate-axis (when you twist the joystick left and right) of my joystick (Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas X).

I disabled the joystick within FSX and deleted every binding there was regarding the joystick. Then I made a new profile within FSUIPC for my FlightSim Labs A320X. I calibrated my joystick within FSUIPC and bound all my axis the way I wanted them (aeleron, elevator, rudder on the joystick and the thrustlevers onto the thrustlever of the Hotas. I also made some minor adjustments to the slope of the controls, but I don't think that this is the problem.

Now everything works just fine except for the rudder. Everything is setup properly (as far as I can tell) and yet the rudder is the only thing that doesn't seem to work within FSX.

I tried a bunch of stuff already. For example, I tried making a new profile in FSUIPC for my PMDG 737NGX based on the one from the Airbus I used earlier - same problem - everything work except for the rudder.

I tried the exact same thing with the stock Cessna, that came with FSX - same problem.

Lastly I tried to bind the elevator to the Z-rotate-axis, which would normally be the rudder, just to see if the joystick axis is busted or something. Funny thing is - now that worked.

I then went on and bound the "rudder" to the joystick Y-axis - that didn't work.

I'm on a Windows 10 (x64) machine running FSX: Steam Edition. FSUIPC Version is 4.957b.

I hope somebody has a solution for this.

Cheers Skubidus

FSUIPC4.ini

FSUIPC4.log

43 minutes ago, Skubidus said:

Now everything works just fine except for the rudder. Everything is setup properly (as far as I can tell) and yet the rudder is the only thing that doesn't seem to work within FSX

When you say it "doesn't work" do you mean there's no response at all? Or what?

The INI file shows a calibrate rudder axis, on the "R" axis input. So I assume it shows up values within the ranges you've set in both the axis assignment and calibration tabs in FSUIPC?

Lastly I tried to bind the elevator to the Z-rotate-axis, which would normally be the rudder, just to see if the joystick axis is busted or something. Funny thing is - now that worked.

Okay. This does suggest that it isn't to do with FSUIPC, but something else interfering with the rudder control.  

You said:

I disabled the joystick within FSX and deleted every binding there was regarding the joystick.

By "disabled" do you mean you disabled controllers (one checkbox)? If so there's no need to delete assignmnts as well.

Try using FSUIPC axis and event logging on the FSUIPC logging tab. If you run FSX in Windowed mode and enable the FSUIPC console log (logging tab again) you'll see what is being sent/received by FSX in real time.

Pete

Hi,

by looking at your profiles you will have a working Rudder in-flight but not on ground!
Actually you didn't create a new profile but you copied the existing one that didn't work for the rudder and did changes on that one. So you just copied the error in it with it every time.
You have a tiller calibration in it but no tiller axis defined/ available for it, so on ground it uses the calibration but with no axis.
Just remove this line:
SteeringTiller=-16384,0,512,5760

Thomas

1 hour ago, Pete Dowson said:

Try using FSUIPC axis and event logging on the FSUIPC logging tab. If you run FSX in Windowed mode and enable the FSUIPC console log (logging tab again) you'll see what is being sent/received by FSX in real time

I tried that and the log didnt show anything for that R-axis with the rudder bound to it.

1 hour ago, Thomas Richter said:

Hi,

by looking at your profiles you will have a working Rudder in-flight but not on ground!
Actually you didn't create a new profile but you copied the existing one that didn't work for the rudder and did changes on that one. So you just copied the error in it with it every time.
You have a tiller calibration in it but no tiller axis defined/ available for it, so on ground it uses the calibration but with no axis.
Just remove this line:

Thomas

Wow, that actually did the trick - works like a breeze now ;). Thank you so much! I was getting really frustrated with this issue.

1 hour ago, Thomas Richter said:

Just remove this line:

Well spotted Thomas! Thanks!

Pete