The simFlight Network Forums

Got locked out of voice recognition mid-session

Avwriter

Not sure if this it s fluke, but voice recognition stopped part way through a session at KJFK today.  Was working fine for about 10 minutes, and then suddenly it would no longer accept any voice commands (button commands still worked).  After shutting down and restarting the sim everything was normal.  Just before this happened, I had made several incorrect transmissions while trying to recall how to phrase a complex taxi instruction, and I wonder if it to be expected that several mistakes in a row could cause something like this, or perhaps if there is a trick to unlocking the system without restarting?  Has anyone else experienced this?  As I said, it might just be a fluke.

Interesting.  I have encountered it a couple of times more, and so far ( in my case) it still seems to be associated with issuing multiple incorrect commands in a row (usually it seems to take 4-5 such errors).  As you mentioned issues with the multi monitor windows, I will also note that two times when starting the game I would send a window to my second monitor, and the window would momentarily appear there and then disappear (this has nothing to do with the above issue that I know of, but I thought I would mention it since it sounds a little like what you experienced). 

I had this occur a couple of times tonight and now, at least in my case, I don't think voice recognition is stopping. Whatever the cause (repetitive incorrect phrasing, multi-monitor windows closing/crashing), I think it is a performance issue .. the voice recognition engine is lagging.

When the issue pops up the normal result is it either doesn't understand a word I say or misinterprets my commands. However, if I press left-shift and then pause (count to myself calmly 1-2-3) and then state the command it is recognized perfectly. This seemed to work every time.

I tried this "fix" at the beginning of the session because it appears it takes a little while before voice recognition kicks in, but it didn't help. However, mid-session when the issue pops up, a little pause before speaking seems to work.

Okay, Here is a game log for a time when I got locked out of speech recog.  For the last several minutes of the game, no aircraft would respond to me.  IN particular, I repeatedly gave JBU 124 pushback approval several times without ever being acknowledged.  THere is also a DL flight lined up on 25R that will not respond to take of clearance, among others.  I would love to inlcude the speech log as well, but it appears to be to large for the forum to handle.  I was able to continue issuing commands via mouse.

game.log

We just checked your log and there is nothing in that would indicate a problem.

Did you have any other window open? A chat window, a skype, etc? Looks like you didn't send voice command to the software. It wasn't the software who didn't understand; it didn't receive voice input.
Please make sure the 3D window is always active when you issue any voice command.

Thank you

Vic

53 minutes ago, FeelThere said:

We just checked your log and there is nothing in that would indicate a problem.

Did you have any other window open? A chat window, a skype, etc? Looks like you didn't send voice command to the software. It wasn't the software who didn't understand; it didn't receive voice input.
Please make sure the 3D window is always active when you issue any voice command.

Thank you

Vic

Thanks for checking.  Very wierd. No I did not have any other programs running at the time, and yes I did try clicking in the 3D window when this was happening.  This has only happened 3-4 times since I bought the game on release day, which makes it very tricky to figure out since I cannot reproduce it deliberately.  The only other possibility I can think of is if my microphone itself has a loose connection or something that very rarely fails.  Will have to experiment with this the next time it happens or perhaps buy a new headset. 

Here's my game and speech log from a LAX session where by the end my commands were not being recognized. During this session my ADIRS window kept closing and it seems like performance would diminish every time i opened it on the second window.

Thanks, Craig

FYI - the speech log may contain a previous session or two.

lax_session.zip

• 3 weeks later...

Av Writer:  It's not just you.  I've had the same thing happen to me twice last night.  System freezes, ambient noise continues to run, the mic appears to work (you can hear it click when  you press the shift key), but nothing moves or responds to my verbal commands.  I've also had the ADIRS window shut down unexpectedly but it never occurred to me the two issues could possibly be linked.  I know it's not the machine since it's a brand new i7 with tons of ram and dedicated graphics.

note for the steam version users, steam hade some issues  yesterday as result windows did several times close or even tower 3d pro would not start up or freezing on the loading screen of a airport, it was  always on KSAN,  on JFK and others where no issues, must say did use a sheldule made with sheldule maker on all airports.

(On speach tower 3D pro is for me one hard nut to crack it seems just not  to do it as good as it did with the tower 2011. But is not realy a issue for me :) my GF would kill me when i talk more to the PC then her lol.)