The simFlight Network Forums

X55 HOTAS STICK BUTTONS INOP

Pete,

I rescently bought P3D and is their current version released via their website, and I am trying to configure my Saitek X-55 HOTAS Sticks without having to install their software, BUT their drivers ARE installed.  My favorite addon is the VRS Superbug!  I am trying to map my Nosewheel steering and Hi/Low functions to the stick either by P3D controll or FSUPIC.  I have a registered version of FSUIPC4 and have v4.96.  Under the buttons and keys tab it WILL NOT recognise and buttons on the stick yet the axis seem to work.  Im am finding this the same in FSUPIC as well as in the P3D buttons and controls and I am at a loss as to why.  I have gone into the hardware section/properties in windows10 to see if the buttons are working ok and they are showing good.

Should be noted that the 3 hat switches on the stick seems to work just not the buttons.   ???????

FSUIPC4.log

Edited by CHSStarKiller

Hi,

please download latest version, released today. Just copy and paste (overwrite the existing file) the unzipped files into .\Modules\ folder, please follow Pete's instruction below

TEST update 4.966m (DLL module only): FSUIPC 4.966m.zip
There are a few requested changes and fixes in this release, so you may want to try it, but it is mainly aimed at those who have been suffering joystick recognition and assignment problems, especially with Saitek X55 and X56 units. It features a totally re-written joystick scanning system which needs real exposure, but is ulitimately more logical and more understandable than the previous mess which grew like topsy to meets the needs as they arrived.

Actual changes are listed in the included PDF document, as are requirements for the data to be supplied with any feedback about the joystick system.

Thomas

ok so added the new DLL and restarted P3D.  Still nothing pops up when in the Key Presses tab of FSUIPC, both throttle and stick presses not showing, but it now shows the button as working in the Buttons + Switches tab/Select for FS control.  There is no selection for Nose wheel steering unless its labled as Steering Set and the HI/LOW gain.  I tried mapping again in P3D and still doesnt work.  Also under Buttons + Switches tab it doesnt read the button when you check the Select for key press box.

FSUIPC4.JoyScan.csv

Edited by CHSStarKiller

59 minutes ago, CHSStarKiller said:

I dont see an INI file in the modules folder and I have nothing hidden

There is ALWAYS an INI as well as a LOG file. The INI file is where all your settings are stored. You have Windows hiding filetypes from you so you'll have files just called "FSUIPC". As stated in the FSUIPC installation, and in the User Guide, it is best to turn that annoying and stupid option off (or, possibly turn ON "show filetypes", I don't recall which way around it it).  Meanwhile an INI file might just be described as "configuration settings" (which should be a good clue in any case!).

2 hours ago, CHSStarKiller said:

Under the buttons and keys tab it WILL NOT recognise and buttons on the stick yet the axis seem to work.  Im am finding this the same in FSUPIC as well as in the P3D buttons and controls and I am at a loss as to why.  I have gone into the hardware section/properties in windows10 to see if the buttons are working ok and they are showing good.

Should be noted that the 3 hat switches on the stick seems to work just not the buttons.

FSUIPC reads everything that the device provides, it doesn't pick and choose. It arrives in one block. The fact that it is getting anything shows that it is using the correct information, the GUID in particular. Both X-55 Stick and Throttle provide 2 each, and one on each reads nothing. You were luckier than some having 4.966c get the right GUID without me having to mess in your Registry. (4.966m fixes it by determining in advance which GUIDs work and which don't -- this is the story tabulated in the Spreadsheet csv file you provided.

I think you have some Saitek software running which is interfering with the ability of both P3D  and FSUIPC receiving all of the data. You either need to uninstall it, or program things correctly in that software.

Alternatively you need Saitek support.

I am testing X55 here with NO Saitek software or drivers or anything from tthem installed at all, and they work perfectly.

1 hour ago, CHSStarKiller said:

There is no selection for Nose wheel steering unless its labled as Steering Set and the HI/LOW gain.

The names listed for controls in the assignments are those provided by P3D, not by FSUIPC. I don't even know what the all do, but in this case, even if I hadn't tried it, I would have thought it obvious that steering is relaled very very closely to the nose wheel steering. What else could it be if not?

No idea what you mean by HI/LOW gain, sorry.

1 hour ago, CHSStarKiller said:

The file JoyScan included on the VRS Superbug I cycled all controls and hit every button.

If you did that just to provide this file you wasted your time i'm afraid. The JoyScan file is purely concerned with recording all the stages involved in detecting and setting up the devices in the first place. It completes its job with the writing of the [JoyNames] section in your (unrecognised) INI file, which is also when the Log file underscores the end of the "Joystick Device Scan" section.

Pete

Hey Pete, nice to see you.  Sorry for taking up all your time.  From what im reading in here the X55 are the biggest nightmare in controller history.  But I did find my INI file and have supplied it as well.  As for VRS its an aircraft like no other and so is its functionality as explained here: https://forums.vrsimulations.com/support/index.php/Keyboard_Reference

Basically I am trying to do away with Saitek's programming software as its more often than not quite unreliable.  But I may have to use it for a few key commands, as stated on the VRS wiki its key command mode operates independantly of that of FSUPIC and P3D.  I tried using the Nose Wheel Steering command from them in the P3D general HOTAS keying with no luck.  Dont know why that wouldnt work, but ok.  There's a coding challenge, to fully integrate those functions into your amazing program.  But sorry about the High/Low gain on steering, in low the nose gear gets roughly 45 degrees of turn while in the high setting it gets the 90 degree of swing just as the real aircraft does.  Basically makes it not so touchy on rollout.

FSUIPC4.ini

6 hours ago, CHSStarKiller said:

From what im reading in here the X55 are the biggest nightmare in controller history.

Well it has been, for several weeks, yes.. But with my latest changes I think all will be well -- provided nothing is getting in the way. From your description whatever IS in the way is messing up P3D's ability to read it properly as well.

6 hours ago, CHSStarKiller said:

But sorry about the High/Low gain on steering, in low the nose gear gets roughly 45 degrees of turn while in the high setting it gets the 90 degree of swing just as the real aircraft does.  Basically makes it not so touchy on rollout.

Sounds just like a toggle switch assignment to some shortcut provided by your add-on aircraft. It isn't implemented in P3D itself that I know of.  However, I don't know why you'd even consider using the nose wheel steering on the rollout. Just the rudder should do to keep you straight on the runway, including the turns for those "high speed turnouts". For other turnouts you should surely be well under 30 knots in any case.

With most aircraft (not the VRS?) you could actually assign your steering axis to FSUIPC's own direct steering control, which uses the rudder, but for which you can use calibration to adjust the effect separately to the rudder axis input. Then, once you are on the ground, FSUIPC gradually changes from using rudder to steering input for the sim's rudder control, between 60kn and 0kn, with them about level at 30 (the 60 limit is an INI parameter). This makes things feel very realistic, both for takeoffs and landings.

Oh, and sorry, but I don't really have time, especially this week (away early Wednesday) to investigate the link you provide, but if the normal steering controls in P3D don't operate to steer your aircraft you'll need to find out how to do it. For that their website would seem more appropriate in any case. FSUIPC can only directly support those things implemented withing the sim itself.

Pete