The simFlight Network Forums

Integration iOS

Moved to main Forum! Please ask questions in Main Forum, FAQ is where you can find answers to often asked questions but not to place a question.

Hi All,

Quick question. I received an inquiry from some one using my iPad app. This app is build for realtime flying and usage of realtime GPS signals, however, the question was asked if simulators can be supported as well (prepar3d). Since I am not familiar with the simulator software at all (i am a pilot in real life), I was wondering if you can supply me some information about FSUIPC. Is there documentation for developers, namely about GPS over wifi (i guess that is what apps like foreflight are using)? I would like to see if there is an option to implement this in my iOS app. If you would have any information, documentation, or even code examples for iOS, that would be very much appreciated. 

Hi Thomas, 

Thank you for the correction and quick reply. I've downloaded the SDK, but I think this is all related to interface to FSUIPC with all sorts of forms (VB, DLL's, Python etc)  except iOS. I was wondering if there is something described on how to connect with iOS (i.e. objective-c) to FSUIPC and retrieve GPS data. Maybe I missed it somewhere, but as mentioned. No experience with this software and neither with windows. 

59 minutes ago, martin010 said:

I was wondering if there is something described on how to connect with iOS (i.e. objective-c) to FSUIPC and retrieve GPS data. Maybe I missed it somewhere, but as mentioned.

No, neither FSUIPC nor WideFS have no built-in facilities for talking to IOS.  You'd probably need to write a Server module to run on the FS PC to connect to your IOS devices. Many folks have done this already for their IOS programs.

If you only want GPS data and the program in your IOS device can read standard NMEA sentences on the USB connection (acting now as a standard serial port) then you should be able to configure FSUIPC's GPSout facilities (see User Guide) to provide the correct data for that program from a USB acting as a standard serial device on the FS PC.

The GPSout facility also supports AV400 format (and a simple text format, in the case that you are writing your own IOS program).

For a WiFi or normal Network connection you'd certainly need a server program, but that could be written as a Lua plug-in rather than a completely separate program.

Pete