The simFlight Network Forums

Does any traffic arrive downwind for the active

wsuch

Hi

I have not seen any traffic arrive opposite the active runway ksan for example,so far i have only seen traffic sequenced to join final and handed to the tower surely there must be traffic coming from the opposite sector that would join downwind for the active runway,  this would offer even more challenge with regards to seperation from traffic on final,  if not in this sim perhaps a wishlist item for the next tower sim as well 

In this sim, tower is contacted when planes are on final  - in this case it is always a 20nm final no matter what sector they are coming from.  Besides, at least for the airports of the size that are in the sim, what you are requesting would more than likely be the job of an approach controller.

Crbascott

I read your post again and thought a little further so essentially its just the way the sim is programmed as in real life traffic would come from other sectors and would be vectored to the ils by approach and passed to the tower controller,  it will be great in the next version to have traffic on a non precision approach being handed from approach to tower via a pattern entry for the active,  this probably only makes sense for smaller airports that handle non precision approach traffic maybe tist and ksan,  would add another level of emmersion, thanks for all your help on the forum, cheers

Wayne

In real life...

We only get handed off to tower while on downwind if its very slow or if it is going to be a very short approach while conducting a visual approach. Normally, tower will get us when we are on the Base turn or in the turn onto final.

I have been handed off once to DCA while on downwind at 6k ft as they cleared us for a visual approach and we were told to turn final at least 3nm out.  

Thanks tpinks it would be interesting say at tist or ksan to have the odd non precision approach traffic or vfr traffic arriving in the pattern from sectors other than direct to final as jets are naturally vectored via their sector by approach to turn onto the ils or even following a star arrival to that point to intetcept the localiser for the active runway,  but it would be really could to have the occasional light traffic joining say via downwind entry point or some other point in the circuit,  i have asked the developer if this might be possible,  the commands seem to be there just not the traffic from that entry point

Wayne