The simFlight Network Forums

Setting InitDelay in FSUIPC.ini

Hello,

I've noticed that the FSUIP4 advanced user guide states that the InitDelay parameter can be set to a value between 0 and 120 seconds.  However, it appears that when I try and manually change it to 0, or even any value less than 30, it gets rewritten back to 30 when I start FSX back up.  Do you what the reason for this could be?  FSX is not running when I manually edit the INI file.

FSUIPC is registered, version is 4.97, aircraft is a default aircraft.  No other addons.

Thanks

Hi,

please make sure you run minimum latest Installer version FSUIPC4974 as it is the supported one, the you should update to latest Interim version FSUIPC4074b.

The InitDelay value is normally 0.

Install complete FSUIPC version 4.974 Install FSUIPC4.974 for FSX, FSX-SE and Prepar3D versions 2.5, 3.0 - 3.4 (32-bit only: all versions to date of release)

FSUIPC 4.974b DLL only, for current 4.974 users FSUIPC4974b.zip

Thomas

8 hours ago, FlightSimFanatic said:

I've noticed that the FSUIP4 advanced user guide states that the InitDelay parameter can be set to a value between 0 and 120 seconds.  However, it appears that when I try and manually change it to 0, or even any value less than 30, it gets rewritten back to 30 when I start FSX back up.  Do you what the reason for this could be?

The value is fixed at 30 for the original, uncorrected version of FSX. I think the Advanced User guide probably specified that, but it was defaulted to 0 and the option to change it added for all the later versions.

I'm surprised that anyone is still left running the original 2005/6 version of FSX when there were so many problems fixed in each of the issued updates, SP1 and SP2. I'll be sure to add a note for such users to the documentation.

The value was fixed for the original release because 30 seconds was found ideal for avoiding assorted initialisation problems which, when fixed, made 0 possible. It was allowed to be varied then to provide another way to avoid problems with other add-ons. This section in the FSUIPC4 History pdf is relevant (page 26):

7. The order of initialisation actions in FSUIPC4 has been changed substantially in an attempt to try to avert the
possibility of causing a loading problem with SimConnect, whether or not this is caused by Trust checking timing
bugs. Furthermore, in order to allow changes to the timing to be tried, to avoid clashes with other competing
SimConnect clients being loaded at the same time, a new parameter is added to the FSUIPC4.INI [General] section:
InitDelay=0
This can be set to a value from 0 to 120 to delay the actual linking to SimConnect by that number of seconds.
Whether this actually helps is unknown at this time.

That was for version 4.80, in February 2012, over 6 years since FSX's release.

This is also relevant, from page 21:

17. In order to try to avoid problems with some Direct Input or Sound devices causing conflicts during FSX
initialisation, if you delay the SimConnect initialisation using the InitDelay option in the FSUIPC4.INI file you can
delay FSUIPC's DInput and DSound scanning by the same time by adding InitDelayDevicesToo=Yes to the
[General] section.

That was for FSUIPC Version 4.84, released in July 2012, nearly 7 years after the first release of FSX.

Pete

P.S. Advanced User Guide is changed now, but this will only find its way into user Documents folders when another full update is made, and there's no call for that at present. So please just assume there's a subnote in the Guide saying "Fixed at 30 for FSX RTM version".  Thank you.

• 2 weeks later...