The simFlight Network Forums

Does Disconnecting/reconnecting USB devices change Joy#?

I thought I read somewhere that if I disconnect my controllers and reconnect them in a different order later that I lose all my configurations saved for each aircraft.

I know that each usb device has a unique identifier in the usb device but is this associated with the Joy# in FSUIPC!

The reason I am asking is that I have different hardware devices for whether I am flying lanes and Helis, etc.  I could have as many as 9 different hardware setups.

I suppose I will go through a test tonight to see if changing may hardware and re-connecting it will cause assignment problems.

13 hours ago, AFB said:

I thought I read somewhere that if I disconnect my controllers and reconnect them in a different order later that I lose all my configurations saved for each aircraft.

I know that each usb device has a unique identifier in the usb device but is this associated with the Joy# in FSUIPC!

The reason I am asking is that I have different hardware devices for whether I am flying lanes and Helis, etc.  I could have as many as 9 different hardware setups.

I suppose I will go through a test tonight to see if changing may hardware and re-connecting it will cause assignment problems.

This problem was solved in FSUIPC by allowing LETTERS to be used instead of ID Numbers. All the assignments are made to LETTERS and the [JoyNames] section in the INI file defines the relationship between possibly changing ID numbers and your assignments.

There's a chapter about this in the User Guide. Please do read it. You can either choose your own letters (e.g Y, T, R) which may be more meaningful, or let FSUIPC assign them automaticaly (A, B, C ...)

Pete

• 4 weeks later...

I just discovered that I had a notification which was I presume from Pete asking if unplugging and re-plugging the usb devise caused a change.  Last night I plugged in the specific devices for my plane profiles and re-entered FSUIPC in FSX.  I then exited and changed over the devices to the Heli setup and entered FSUIPC again from FSX.  Happily when I looked at the .ini file each control device had a unique Alpha identifier under the JoyNames section.  In addition to the Alpha identifier it also listed several lines of numerical values like:  0.1 - - - - - (where the "- - - - -"  represented some additional literal description.)  I am assuming for now that these additional lines in the JoyNames section were program generated and belong there.  When I began to Scan in the axis assignment tab the devices were properly identified.

I have not swapped devices around yet a second time to see if things are working properly but I am convinced that this part of the setup is a success.

1 hour ago, AFB said:

I just discovered that I had a notification which was I presume from Pete asking if unplugging and re-plugging the usb devise caused a change

I never sent any such thing.

1 hour ago, AFB said:

Happily when I looked at the .ini file each control device had a unique Alpha identifier under the JoyNames section.  In addition to the Alpha identifier it also listed several lines of numerical values like:  0.1 - - - - - (where the "- - - - -"  represented some additional literal description.)  I am assuming for now that these additional lines in the JoyNames section were program generated and belong there.

For every device there will be two lines defining the LETTER, with name in onne and "GUID" in the other, and another pair telling FSUIPC what ID NUMBERthat device now has in the Registry. The latter is needed internally.

Please do check the User Guide chapter on Joy Letters.

Pete

1723989842_JoyStickIniniFile.jpg.f0469be866ad49de6c6e2c645962b347.jpg

Image from the current .ini file above.  There are three devices but the GUID lines generated only for two of them.

Is that a problem?  The AV8R was not connected at the same time as the Yoke but in separate startups.