The simFlight Network Forums

Hi Pete,  have tried to figure this out for myself by reading both docs for installing and advanced before pestering you; I am not sure what the difference is for Aircraft specific profile and a e.g "Jet" profile. I am ok with creating a specific profile e.g for a simple Microlight. But i would like to create one for e.g "Turbo Prop Twin" . If I do this say with a Twin Otter loaded and then want to fly a King air how does one call up that profile in another aircraft? Or have i got it all wrong?Cheers

Charles

I believe this is the way to do it, new at profiles myself.
Can't believe it took this long..

[General] 
ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring     <-- Sets FSUIPC to find only part of the Title=" " (aircraft.cfg) name for profiles

Go through your aircraft.cfgs to find a common keyword for each aircraft type and append to the list below.

[Profile.TwinTProp]     <-- General name of the profile
1=Twin Otter                <-- List of "keywords" to match in the aircraft.cfg title in order to load the profile
2=DHC-6
3=King Air
4=B350
5=B90
6=C90
7=An-28
8=Do 228 

19 hours ago, charlesallsop said:

I am not sure what the difference is for Aircraft specific profile and a e.g "Jet" profile.

Profiles are sets of assignments and calibrations for one or more aircraft. "Aircraft spcific" settings are obsolete and only still supported for compatibility with older installations. The default is Profiles. Whether you create one called "Jet" or use more specific names like "A320" or "B737" is up to you. The name of a Profile is just that, a name, for reference. 

20 hours ago, charlesallsop said:

But i would like to create one for e.g "Turbo Prop Twin" . If I do this say with a Twin Otter loaded and then want to fly a King air how does one call up that profile in another aircraft?

When you load the King Air there will be no profile assigned to it, so you simply choose one from the drop-down list when you click the Profile button in an assignment or calibration tab. There are pictures in the User Guide showing you example drop-down lists for this. you'll see you can elect to use an existing one, or create a new one. You can even create a new one based on one of the existing ones (so you don't need to re-do everything, for example).

Pete

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, charlesallsop said:

. Should the  FSUIPC5.INI file UseProfiles= be set to Yes or No; currently mine is set to yes.

As it implies, if you set it to No you can't use profiles becase you've told FSUIPC not to support them!

That reverts its operation to the older, now really defunct, "aircraft specicitc" settings, which were aircraft name based rather than having groupings of aircraft with  single profile name.

Some folks still use the old method, probably from hacan convert to Profiles simply by setting this to Yes (its current default).

Pete.