The simFlight Network Forums

Mixture Control with Joystick Settings Question

This is really a curiosity question but it is one that I sure would like to get further feedback on.

All of my aircraft controls are setup to work through FSUIPC either with joystick, buttons, or keys and everything works perfectly except for one particular aircraft that I just installed from Aerosoft - PBY Catalina. A great 1940's historic bird.

The only problem I am having is that the mixture control levers have to be operated with the mouse buttons or wheel.
I have tried without success different settings through FSUIPC. I asked the question with Aerosoft and was told by Mathijs Kok - "... the mixture is not like in other aircraft so we could not use the default commands". Now I know that Mathijs is extremely competent and one of the top engineers at Aerosoft so I certainly accept his answer.

My question is - If I can move the levers with mouse control is there no way to set that up through FSUIPC using either buttons or keys?

3 hours ago, danewatson said:

My question is - If I can move the levers with mouse control is there no way to set that up through FSUIPC using either buttons or keys?

Check the documentation for "mouse Macros".

If they don't work with this aircraft (is it on FSX/P3D1-3, or P3D4?) the only other possible recourse is accessing L:Vars. Do a bit of research with the documentation and you'll find such details.

Pete

2 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Check the documentation for "mouse Macros".

If they don't work with this aircraft (is it on FSX/P3D1-3, or P3D4?) the only other possible recourse is accessing L:Vars. Do a bit of research with the documentation and you'll find such details.

Pete

Thanks Pete I will check out all that you have mentioned.

Sorry I should have noted my sim in my post - P3D v4.3

8 hours ago, danewatson said:

Thanks Pete I will check out all that you have mentioned.

Sorry I should have noted my sim in my post - P3D v4.3

In that case you should be able to use Mouse Macros, as the easiest way. There is a problem we're investigating at present which can make a mouse macro invalid on a subsequent reload of P3D4. I think it's a P3D4 problem and have reported it to L-M. If you always load the same aircraft as the main and first one I think it is okay though.

Pete

3 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

In that case you should be able to use Mouse Macros, as the easiest way. There is a problem we're investigating at present which can make a mouse macro invalid on a subsequent reload of P3D4. I think it's a P3D4 problem and have reported it to L-M. If you always load the same aircraft as the main and first one I think it is okay though.

Pete

Looking forward to testing this out. Did a lot of studying last evening to try to understand.

My only thought right now is - because I am trying to control a mixture lever which moves forward and backward will the macro capture that entire movement? I presently use one joystick button for mixture rich increments and another for mixture decrease increments.

Looking forward this evening to checking this out.

Thank you.

55 minutes ago, danewatson said:

My only thought right now is - because I am trying to control a mixture lever which moves forward and backward will the macro capture that entire movement?

The mouse macro isn't capturing buttons switches or levers! It captures the mouse actions!  That gives you assignable controls. 

58 minutes ago, danewatson said:

I presently use one joystick button for mixture rich increments and another for mixture decrease increments.

So you don't need mouse macros?  You can already control it via button assignments?

I think you may be asking the wrong questions altogether! Are you really asking how to assign button events to an axis?

Pete

45 minutes ago, Pete Dowson said:

The mouse macro isn't capturing buttons switches or levers! It captures the mouse actions!  That gives you assignable controls. 

So you don't need mouse macros?  You can already control it via button assignments?

I think you may be asking the wrong questions altogether! Are you really asking how to assign button events to an axis?

Pete

No Pete, I do know how to assign button events to an axis. I have many assigned.

It is just this particular aircraft, the PBY, that is not allowing the assignment in the normal manner. So I do believe from what I have read that Mouse Macros hopefully will work

Will find out...

Thanks again...

1 hour ago, Pete Dowson said:

I presently use one joystick button for mixture rich increments and another for mixture decrease increments.

Sorry. It was the statement above which confused me. I now assume you mean with other aircraft, not this one?

52 minutes ago, danewatson said:

So I do believe from what I have read that Mouse Macros hopefully will work

Yes, they should do. But bear in mind the current limitations, which I'm trying to resolve with L-M.

Pete

13 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

Sorry. It was the statement above which confused me. I now assume you mean with other aircraft, not this one?

Yes, they should do. But bear in mind the current limitations, which I'm trying to resolve with L-M.

Pete

Pete - you are absolutely brilliant - Mouse Macros was the way to get around the problem with controlling the two mixture levers with joystick buttons in this PBY Catalina aircraft by Aerosoft.

It took me three goes at it to fully understand. My first two attempts I was not getting both mixture levers recorded in the macro for simultaneous increase and as well decrease. I ended up with a bunch MCRO files that were not correct - so I deleted them all and started over for the third time and it all came together.

THANK YOU,

Dane.

Ps - this is what I ended up with in both the INI (including a Profile Specific spec for this PBY aircraft) and the MCRO files

[Profile.PBY]
1=PBY-6A_Civil_Calypso

[MacroFiles]
1=PBY

[Buttons.PBY]
0=PJ,8,CM1:1,0     -{Macro PBY: MXTR DECREASE: MXTR DECREASE}-
1=PJ,6,CM1:3,0     -{Macro PBY: MXTR INCREASE: MXTR INCREASE}-

[Macros]
1=    MXTR DECREASE
1.1=RX1002e,1
1.2=RX1002f,1
3=    MXTR INCREASE
3.1=RX1002e,3
3.2=RX1002f,3

3 hours ago, danewatson said:

Mouse Macros was the way to get around the problem with controlling the two mixture levers with joystick buttons in this PBY Catalina aircraft by Aerosoft.

Good. Please do let me know if you suddenly get the macros doing the wrong thing, as it seems that the rectngle numbers (that hex number after the RX) can change, depending, we think, on what happened before in the same session. If you always load the aircraft first, or as default, it will probably stay ok.

I'm hoping L-M will respond to our reports about this.

Pete