The simFlight Network Forums

Issue loosing or adding new USB device

Hi Pete,

I have some troubles with my multiple USB devices.

When some of them loose the connection from the PC or if I add a new device, my FSUIPC.INI becomes a mess in the sense that several commands move from a device to another (i.e. commands assigned to device F move to E and viceversa). It seems that fo some reason the letters assigned and stored in FSUIPC.INI go messed.

In these cases I have everytime to manually change the assigned commands to reset them to the orign assignement I gave them on the proper device and switch.

I do not understand what I do or I have done wrong in my settings to have this result. Is there a way, eventually adding some parameters to FSUIPC.INI, to avoid that?

Thanks and Kind Regards

Joe

22 minutes ago, cellular55 said:

When some of them loose the connection from the PC or if I add a new device, my FSUIPC.INI becomes a mess in the sense that several commands move from a device to another (i.e. commands assigned to device F move to E and viceversa). It seems that fo some reason the letters assigned and stored in FSUIPC.INI go messed.

The devices referred to by the letters are determined by the device name and GUID. Are all those devices identical in that respect?

24 minutes ago, cellular55 said:

In these cases I have everytime to manually change the assigned commands to reset them to the orign assignement I gave them on the proper device and switch.

If you are truly using Joy Letters then all you'd need to do is check the [JoyNames] section. Any correction is simply done there, but unless you have some identical devices that should not be necessary.

Pete

4 hours ago, cellular55 said:

the effected devices are identical (VRInsight Toggle and Tact Switch Panel).

They don't sound identical. Same GUID and same Name, exactly? That seems so unlikely, but if so then Windows cannot differentiate between them and neither can FSUIPC. You'll need to leave them connected all of the time, powered up properly 9powered hub0.

Pete

Hi Pete,

sorry I misunderstood you: I was meaning that are identical in term of type of devices, but of course in the ini file they have different GUI and Name.

The problem occurs when one of them lose the connection from the hub or/and in case I add other devices.

I would that in case of disconnection the assigned commands are not moved on other device, but only appearing as not available and that when I add a new device the already existing devices do not have the name/assignments changed with others.

KR

Joe

1 hour ago, cellular55 said:

sorry I misunderstood you: I was meaning that are identical in term of type of devices, but of course in the ini file they have different GUI and Name.

The problem occurs when one of them lose the connection from the hub or/and in case I add other devices.

AND you are using Joy Letters? If not please do so -- that will solve that problem -- in fact that is precisely what that facility is for.

When you talked about devices F and E in your first message I thought you implied you were already using Joy Letters, in which case this is a very odd problem if the devices have different names and GUIDs. That would imply a serious Windows problem, as those things are the only ways to identify a device.

Maybe it is time now for you to show me your FSUIPC INI file.

Pete

50 minutes ago, cellular55 said:

attached my FSUIPC.INI file.

I have also attached th INI related the PMDG profile that I normally use as aircraft.

Earier you said "the effected devices are identical (VRInsight Toggle and Tact Switch Panel)."

I see you have these lines in your INI file:

[VRInsight]
1=COM5, COM2
2=COM6, COM4

which seems to suggest that the affected devices aren't normal USB connections but serial devices handled completely differently.

So I'm a bit confused where earlier you said:  "several commands move from a device to another (i.e. commands assigned to device F move to E and viceversa)".

You do have joystick type devices E and F. Their names are both "usb pad". This is the [joynames] section (rearranged for clarity):

[JoyNames]
AutoAssignLetters=No
A=Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
A.GUID={28EBBAA0-829A-11E5-800C-444553540000}
0=Saitek Pro Flight Rudder Pedals
0.GUID={28EBBAA0-829A-11E5-800C-444553540000}

B=Saitek Pro Flight Quadrant
B.GUID={28EBBAA0-829A-11E5-800E-444553540000}

6=Saitek Pro Flight Quadrant
6.GUID={28EBBAA0-829A-11E5-800E-444553540000}

C=Saitek Pro Flight Yoke
C.GUID={28EBBAA0-829A-11E5-800D-444553540000}

5=Saitek Pro Flight Yoke
5.GUID={28EBBAA0-829A-11E5-800D-444553540000}

D=Saitek Pro Flight Quadrant
D.GUID={28EBBAA0-829A-11E5-800F-444553540000}

7=Saitek Pro Flight Quadrant
7.GUID={28EBBAA0-829A-11E5-800F-444553540000}

E=usb pad
E.GUID={28EBBAA0-829A-11E5-8002-444553540000}

1=usb pad
1.GUID={28EBBAA0-829A-11E5-8002-444553540000}

F=usb pad
F.GUID={28EBBAA0-829A-11E5-8003-444553540000}

2=usb pad
2.GUID={28EBBAA0-829A-11E5-8003-444553540000}

G=usb pad
G.GUID={28EBBAA0-829A-11E5-8004-444553540000}
3=usb pad
3.GUID={28EBBAA0-829A-11E5-8004-444553540000}

H=usb pad
H.GUID={28EBBAA0-829A-11E5-8001-444553540000}

4=usb pad
4.GUID={28EBBAA0-829A-11E5-8001-444553540000}

K=<< MISSING JOYSTICK >>

L=Pro Flight Cessna Trim Wheel
L.GUID={4F45C0A0-7B6A-11E6-8001-444553540000}

Now that's a lot of devices. But they all seem well-idenitifed. There are 4 "usb pads" including your E and F devices which you said swap over. Is that right? I ask as now you said 

On 9/26/2018 at 7:18 AM, cellular55 said:

I would that in case of disconnection the assigned commands are not moved on other device, but only appearing as not available and that when I add a new device the already existing devices do not have the name/assignments changed with others.

So what is the truth? What is actually the problem you are experiencing? All seems in order in your INI file, except that you don't seem to have the Cessna Trim Wheel connected at the time, and you have at least one entry in the INI (or the PMDG one) referring to a non-existent device 'K'.

Oh, and originally you said:

On 9/24/2018 at 6:55 AM, cellular55 said:

but the whole point with joy lettering is that you don't need to do that. If things do go wrong (and certainly a Windows reinstall can cause GUID reassignments, or sometimes maybe even windows updates if they are serious enough). All you needed to do is to change over the letters so that they refer to the correct name and GUID.

I might be able to help more if you explain EXACTLY and clearly what the problem really is, because the previous reports conflict.

Pete

Hi Pete,

I will try to explain a little more and in detail.

The devices are identical in the sense that the issue occurrs always on the devices on the USB HUBs. No problem with the joke, rudder pedals and the two serial devices (MCP and CDU).

Issue1: Device disconnected

If I launch P3D no checking before if all the devices installed on different USB HUBs are connected and one of them is disconnected (may be the connectors on hubs are not so good) I do not have only the command disappearing on the disconnected devices, but its commands move on another device connected on another  Hub substituting the original assignment.

In this case I have found that is enough to close P3D and relaunch it being sure that all the connections are ok (I have written a tool to check that) and everything is back to nornal.

Issue 2: Adding new connection on  HUB

This is an issue stranger and harder as the only solution I have found until now is to manually reassign the commands on the impacted devices as they were before.

This occurred for example when I added, through one existing HUB, some LED lights to illuminate the cockpit devices: after that, commands on two devices (one on the same HUB where I installed the light and another on a differen HUB) were swapped.

Hope this helps to clarify.

KR

Joe

P.S. Yes.. I disconnected the Cessna wheel and did not update the conf file

2 hours ago, cellular55 said:

The devices are identical in the sense that the issue occurrs always on the devices on the USB HUBs.

Are these USB hubs powered? If not I think that will be the problem. Never rely on PC power for hubs. If they are powered then I suspect that you have a hub or PC USB port problem, as things when staying powered should not be simply lost.

I assume you've made sure Windows USB power management is turned off for its more direct connections? Though this should not affect powered hubs.

Issue 2: Adding new connection on  HUB

This is an issue stranger and harder as the only solution I have found until now is to manually reassign the commands on the impacted devices as they were before.

Now this makes no sense. If you are adding a new connection, how can any assignments be "as they were before"?

This occurred for example when I added, through one existing HUB, some LED lights to illuminate the cockpit devices: after that, commands on two devices (one on the same HUB where I installed the light and another on a differen HUB) were swapped.

If they get "swapped" then both GUIDs must have been changed -- so Windows identified them the other way around.

This seems extremely unlikely as GUIDs are random numbers which are guaranteed not to reproduce within an immense number of iterations. 

So, they must have looked EXACTLY as if they had swapped over You trell me how that can happen, as I have no idea. And there's absolutely nothing FSUIPC can do about it, obviously.

In any case you don't need to reassign everything. Just swap thters as I said.

I assume you don't keep adding and removing devices? Is this all just whilst you are building?

Pete

Hi Pete,

yes.. all the HUBs are powered. I think taht is a problem of some connector entries: more or less the devices going disconnected are the same. Unplagging and repulugging they get back the connection.

and yes .. you are right: I do not know how Windows manages that, but I have noticed that If I add a new device (even if not related to P3D) and I change the HUB connector entry  of one P3D device the GUIDs change (I did that adding those lights). 

KR 

Joe