The simFlight Network Forums

Strange calibration behavior with FSUIPC 5.15/P3Dv4.4

Was about to finetune my "Separate throttles per engine" Joystick Calibration - for start hitted the Reset button per throttle as usually, then went on with setting values for Reverse/Max/Idle for all 4 throttles.
Result: Respond from throttles where now totally wiped out in P3Dv4.4 /PMDG 777!!

Tried again - this time without hitting the Reset buttons before calibrations. Then finished my calibrations as usual.
Result: Succes! 

Have I missed something out? Perhaps forgotten something in the standard procedure? Or is there in fact a bug here..?

Cheers

2 hours ago, Morten said:

Was about to finetune my "Separate throttles per engine" Joystick Calibration - for start hitted the Reset button per throttle as usually, then went on with setting values for Reverse/Max/Idle for all 4 throttles.
Result: Respond from throttles where now totally wiped out in P3Dv4.4 /PMDG 777!!

After pressing "Reset" they are disconnected. You need to press "Set" then to do the calibration! The reset button enables you to start again, as from a "virgin" install. The calibration always begins by using "Set".

Pete

8 minutes ago, Morten said:

But now the "virgin" install won't let me set new values - an error sound is ringing every time I'm trying to set the new values.

That error sound means the numbers don't read in increasing order left-to-right. The minimum needs to be less than or equal to both Centres and those must be less than or equal to the maximum. Change them in any order providing that is maintained.

Pete

Hi Peter

I'm afraid that your answer is not relevant in this case for several reasons:

1. I've had no issues whatsoever in terms of calibrating those exact same throttles prior to this 5.15 update.

1a. Also keep in mind that my update from 5.14 to 5.15 resulted in some screwed up throttles right away, which was the only reason for the need of a re-calibrating - That is, throttles screwed up, even though I did a copy/paste of the joystick values from the 5.14 ini file.

2. Your description of limits regarding to "less or equal to both Centres" makes no sense here, due to the fact that I always aime to make death zones plenty wide, in order to prevent sudden reverse mode when the intention was just put the throttles in neutral.

3.  As mentioned before, for now with this 5.15 version I will only be able to EDIT the existing calibration which turns out fully successful - widespread death zones, or not. In other words, making a "virgin" reset before a new calibration is the only situation where hell is turned loose!

So something seems to work out  rather unexpected here with this 5.15 version. 

Cheers,
Morten     

15 hours ago, Morten said:

1. I've had no issues whatsoever in terms of calibrating those exact same throttles prior to this 5.15 update.

But since there's no change whasoever in any area associated with calibration between versions 5.14 and 5.15 it follows logically that something other than FSUIPC itself has changed or been changed on your system. This is also indicated by the fact that you are thje only one who has these odd results.

1a. Also keep in mind that my update from 5.14 to 5.15 resulted in some screwed up throttles right away,

That indicates that you somehow messed up your INI file, because that's the only place calibration information is stored (in a simple text format). You go on to say, mysteriously:

even though I did a copy/paste of the joystick values from the 5.14 ini file.

Which makes me ask, what happebed to the FSUIPC5.INI file to llead you to do that?  Updating from FSUIPC5.14 to FSUIPC5.15 simply replaces the FSUIPC5.DLL with the new one, and updates documents and exaples in your FSUIPC Documents subfolder. It never touches your INI file which would have still been the same. So you did something apart from simply running the Installer.

2. Your description of limits regarding to "less or equal to both Centres" makes no sense here, due to the fact that I always aime to make death zones plenty wide, in order to prevent sudden reverse mode when the intention was just put the throttles in neutral.

I'm sorry, but this is wrong. Making wide dead zones does not override the fact that the numbers in the calibration boxes must increase (or, unusually,  stay the same) from left to right. So this most certainly means the minumum muar be less than or equal to the centre values, and they in turn must be less than or equal to the maximum. You evidently don't understand this. 

min <= centres <= max

Pete