The simFlight Network Forums

Newbie question

G'day everyone,

I'm new to FlightSims and FSUIPC and I'm finding that the shear volume of information out there is melting my brain! I hope you don't mind me asking a basic question as I've not yet been able to get my head across the details of FSUIPC yet.

I've just registered FSUIPC and am working on setting it up with FSX SE and my Saitek Yoke/Throttles and have run into a wrinkle.

After going through the Axis assignment tab for the throttle and mix levers I've found that the first half of the throttle/mix lever movement is "dead". There is no response in FSX until the lever reaches about 50%. I'm guessing I've done something wrong (or not done something) and I'd be really grateful for some pointers.

Cheers

Warwick

Canberra, Australia

51 minutes ago, Maarp said:

After going through the Axis assignment tab for the throttle and mix levers I've found that the first half of the throttle/mix lever movement is "dead". There is no response in FSX until the lever reaches about 50%. I'm guessing I've done something wrong (or not done something) and I'd be really grateful for some pointers.

This is not really specifically a question about FSUIPC assignment -- the same problem would occur using direct assignment in FSX, and also in the Windows' Game Controller app.

It is caused by a bug in the Saitek installation and, because it crops up frequently with Saitek devices, it is the subject of a thread in the "FAQ" (Frequently Asked Questions) subforum. Hhere's a link:

Pete

Thanks Pete, it's great to have a community of experienced people around to help out. Also, surely you'd think Saitek would have addressed this problem by now, we spend enough money with them!

Cheers

Warwick

I've just been through the registry reset and sadly this hasn't resolved the problem. The weird thing is that they throttles (and yoke) were behaving ok just a few days ago and then randomly started misbehaving. As far as I can tell nothing has changed and this was why I bought FSUIPC. Most odd and I'm still stuck with misbehaving throttles.

9 hours ago, Maarp said:

The weird thing is that they throttles (and yoke) were behaving ok just a few days ago and then randomly started misbehaving.

Hmmm. Sudden behaviour change could just possibly be registry corruption, but that is unlikely. It sounds more like a dodgy USB connection. Is the quadrant plugged into the yoke using a non-standard plug/socket? If so then the only thing I can think of is to change the latter's connection to the PC -- i.e. another USB socket. If it is a quadrant with its own USB plug, do the same with that.

But note that changing USB sockets may change Joystick ID numbers, and therefore your current assignments, so before doing this make sure you enable "Joy Letters" in FSUIPC (a one line parameter in your FSUIPC INI file to enable automatic letter assignment -- change No to Yes). If you are already using letters than you are okay. FSUIPC should be able to match the new details.

The other thing is power. If you are using a USB hub it should be a powered one. And also go into Windows' Device Manager and make sure power management is turned off on every USB hub or device listed which has such an option.

Pete

Hey Pete,

Thanks so much for your support, it makes such a difference especially at my early stage of Flight Simming.

I thought it might have been the USB ports and have swapped between them but the problem has persisted. So no joy there.

Strangely I thought I'd go back to first principles this morning and started FSX without FSUIPC running and the throttle/mixture levers seem to be responding as normal. I've no idea why this might be although I've only limited confidence that it will continue that way! It's a bit disheartening as my Saitek Panel/Radio and Flight Switch boxes arrived yesterday and I haven't even bothered to unbox them until I can get some stability with what I have running at the moment.

Just to add another layer, I have to upgrade from Windows 7 to Win10 in the next week or so and I wonder if that will help or hinder. Maybe buy a whole new gaming PC (hahahahah!)

Cheers mate

Warwick

11 hours ago, Maarp said:

Just to add another layer, I have to upgrade from Windows 7 to Win10 in the next week or so and I wonder if that will help or hinder.

Well, probably neither really. But if you already have assignments in FSUIPC then they will change. You should enable Joy Letters first (as I mentioned earlier).

Pete

started FSX without FSUIPC running and the throttle/mixture levers seem to be responding as normal

So you re-enabled controllers in FSX for this? Make sure controllers are disabled in FSX if you are assigning your axis in FSUIPC.

Saitek Panel/Radio and Flight Switch boxes

To use the full functionality of these, you should look into using the SPAD (freeware - http://fstools.weebly.com/) or SPAD.next (payware - https://www.spadnext.com/home.html) drivers. I use the latter (with FSUIPC) and it works very well.

Cheers,

John

Hi John and Pete,

Thanks so much for your advice. I'm in the fortunate position of being able to justify an brand new PC that I can setup FSX on again so hopefully that will sort things out. I've downloaded a copy of Spad but I reckon I'll start out nice and slow with standard Windows drivers only to begin with and then add FSUIPC and Spad once I'm sure things are working properly.

So grateful for your help.

Cheers

Warwick