The simFlight Network Forums

P3D goes black when trying to load flight using FSUIPC offsets

Hi Pete,

I've been strugling with this for a while now, and I think I've tried all ways of doing this without getting it to work properly.

First off, let me expain what I want to do:
I want an external application, running on another computer than P3D, to be able to reset the flight in P3D (in the case of a flight crash or similar).

I've looked around and didn't find any way of doing just this using FSUIPC offsets. This is why I thought this solution would work (but it doesn't):

1. Get current loaded flight from 0x3F04
  2. Remove path and file extension from above string (to only have the flight file name without any directory or .fxml extension).
  3. Put this back into 0x3F04
  4. Set 0x3F00 (write only) to 0 (zero) to instruct FSUIPC to Load the flight loaded into 0x3F04

The effect this has on P3D v3.4 is an all-black screen like this:

p3d_blackscreen.thumb.PNG.c663c2134fac696945ccafb9b72c1476.PNG

I can get the screen back by pressing ESC and then selecting "CONTINUE" in the menu.

This also happens on P3D 4.5.

Any ideas on what the problem is, or any alternate suggestions on how to re-create the P3D Scenario->Reset menu option?

Thanks!

2 hours ago, frazer84 said:

I want an external application, running on another computer than P3D, to be able to reset the flight in P3D (in the case of a flight crash or similar).

I've looked around and didn't find any way of doing just this using FSUIPC offsets.

What's wrong with sending the "Situation reset" control (65591) via offset 3110?

2 hours ago, frazer84 said:

This is why I thought this solution would work (but it doesn't):

1. Get current loaded flight from 0x3F04
  2. Remove path and file extension from above string (to only have the flight file name without any directory or .fxml extension).
  3. Put this back into 0x3F04
  4. Set 0x3F00 (write only) to 0 (zero) to instruct FSUIPC to Load the flight loaded into 0x3F04

Well, some minor comments first:

1. You don't need to "get the current flight" into 3F04 first. The pathname will already be there, as documented.
2.& 3.  You don't need to process it to remove the path. It's better if you leave the path as is.
4. So all you need to do is write the 0 to 3F00.

I know loading a flight, ANY flight from anywhere works fine, in both P3D4 and P3D5, because I use it regularly. There's a facility built into WideFS to do just that (also to Save flights and to load Flight Plans).

As to why you are ending up with a black screen, i've no idea. Try some logging. Did you at least look at the FSUIPC log to see if it logged the flight loading attempt? After all, all FSUIPC does is pass the request on to the Sim. it's the same as using FSUIPC's optional flght loading menu.

BTW it's a bit pointless poating a picture of a black rectangle. Just the words describing the problem would beenough. The black rectangle doesn't help.

Pete