The simFlight Network Forums

Change hotas & FSUIPC

Hi, today I have to replace my old Thrustmaster T. Flight Hotas One (device with only one USB plug) with my new Logitech G X56 hotas (device with two USB plugs).

Also, I purchased FSUIPC 6 a few days ago (I currently use the registered version of FSUIPC 5) and would like to use it.

Would you be kind enough to recommend the correct procedure to make these replacements? Do I need to save some FSUIPC 5 settings?
Any suggestions on using my new Logitech G X56 hotas device with FSUIPC 6?

My current configuration: Windows 10 64 bit, P3Dv4.5HF3 (no intention of upgrading to version 5).

Thanks.

3 hours ago, Freccia said:

Would you be kind enough to recommend the correct procedure to make these replacements? Do I need to save some FSUIPC 5 settings?

If you choose to install FSUIPC6 in the same location as FSUIPC5 (i.e. the Modules folder), then just renaming your FSUIPC5.ini to FSUIPC6.ini should work. Alternatively (and recommended) you can install FSUIPC6 outside of your sim folder, in which case you need to move as well as rename the FSUIPC5.ini, as well as any auxiliary files that you use.

Updating from FSUIPC5 to FSUIPC6 is covered in the provided Installation and Registration manual. Please see that for details.

3 hours ago, Freccia said:

Any suggestions on using my new Logitech G X56 hotas device with FSUIPC 6?

The easiest/cleanest way is to just set this up as a new joystick - i.e. redo your assignments and calibration for that joystick.

25 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

If you choose to install FSUIPC6 in the same location as FSUIPC5 (i.e. the Modules folder), then just renaming your FSUIPC5.ini to FSUIPC6.ini should work. Alternatively (and recommended) you can install FSUIPC6 outside of your sim folder

Hi John, so I advice you to make backups of the Modules folder and then delete it from the root of P3Dv4.5?

25 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

The easiest/cleanest way is to just set this up as a new joystick - i.e. redo your assignments and calibration for that joystick.

I understand, basically I have to do everything from the beginning 🙂

Apart jokes, the Lua folder and the .lua files can I simply copy and paste them into the new Modules folder?

Thanks.

modules.jpg

40 minutes ago, Freccia said:

Hi John, so I advice you to make backups of the Modules folder and then delete it from the root of P3Dv4.5?

No. First install FSUIPC6. When you do this, it will automatically detect your FSUIPC5 installation and uninstall this. It will only remove the dll, documents and .log files.

During the installation process, take care to select your new installation directory - it will default to the old one (i.e. the P3D Modules folder). Change this.

After you have installed, copy your FSUIPC5.ini file from your old Modules folder to the new installation folder, renaming it to FSUIPC6.ini. Then move all other files you want to preserve to your new installation folder - the .lua files, .pdf and your Lua and PMCO_Sounds folder. After that, you can remove your Modules folder, although I would suggest keeping it for the time being, at least until you have everything set-up and working in the new location.

47 minutes ago, Freccia said:

I understand, basically I have to do everything from the beginning

Well, not everything. Only for your new joystick - if you have any other devices, they will be preserved.

It is possible to manually hack the .ini to switch your settings from your old joystick to the new one, but this is difficult as you do not know what the button numbers are. You would have to use FSUIPC to see the joystick id and button numbers, so you may as well redo your assignments there. The calibration details, if using that facility, would also be different for a new joystick, so always better to re-calibrate.