The simFlight Network Forums

[Feature Request] Make the control list typeable / filterable in the UI

11 hours ago, Matthew Twomey said:

Lots of controls in there - might be a good enhancement to find things quickly or at least narrow them down if we could type in that box and have them "live filtered".

You can start typing, just the initial part, and the list moves to the first control starting like that.  I never have trouble that way. What exactly do you have in mind?

Pete

• Upvote 1

Well, unless / until you're familiar with most of the controls you might not really know what letter a given control starts with. For example, looking for landing gear controls I might type "gear" or "land" or "up" or "down" or "raise", ...etc. For lua scripts - they all start with Lua and there's several sections of them - so typing "buttonScript1" would narrow it down quite a bit. If I wanted to see any controls with "radio" in the name, I could type "radio". In general - just having it match anywhere in the name and filtering the list to matches would be quite useful and _really_ useful for new users especially.

48 minutes ago, Matthew Twomey said:

Well, unless / until you're familiar with most of the controls you might not really know what letter a given control starts with. For example, looking for landing gear controls I might type "gear" or "land" or "up" or "down" or "raise", ...etc. For lua scripts - they all start with Lua and there's several sections of them - so typing "buttonScript1" would narrow it down quite a bit. If I wanted to see any controls with "radio" in the name, I could type "radio". In general - just having it match anywhere in the name and filtering the list to matches would be quite useful and _really_ useful for new users especially.

Well Windows drop-down lists don't work like that. It would involve building a new list completely each time.

Maybe John will consider it for a future version, but it seems odd that no one has requested this in the 20 year history of FSUIPC. And John has a lot on his plate at present with MSFS developments.

Thanks for the suggestion though. Meanwhile you can always make use of the provided lists (okay, not for your Lua add-ons, but you are more likely to remember those names anyway). Most text editor/viewers provide the sort of search you describe.

Pete