The simFlight Network Forums

747-400/400F/800 profile

I am new to fsuipc profiles.  I have a new x56 and am trying to set up the 744 profile to work across all 747 a/c types with P3Dv4.5.  When I set up the 737 I changed the profile name to PMDG 737 for it to work across all a/c types (737s) and liveries.  However I can only get the 747 to work across all the 747-400 liveries but  none of the  400F and 800 versions.  And on top of that, I went to make a new profile for the 400f/800 versions but when I try to select Profile specific checkbox. then hit the corresponding button, it populates the 400 profile. But again when I go back to verify the button STILL does not work (landing lights, strobes, etch) The only one that seems to work across all aircraft types is the Taxi light.  Any help or am I just out of luck?

Edited by fire508

4 minutes ago, fire508 said:

I am new to fsuipc profiles.

Please read the section User profiles for all control settings in the FSUIPC User Guide.

6 minutes ago, fire508 said:

When I set up the 737 I changed the profile name to PMDG 737 for it to work across all a/c types (737s) and liveries.

But the profile name is not important. Its the names you list under the profile that match the aircraft names, and how it matches depends on the ShortAircraftNameOk ini variable (which you should set to Substring) - again, see the user guide.

9 minutes ago, fire508 said:

However I can only get the 747 to work across all the 747-400 liveries but  none of the  400F and 800 versions. 

Then check your profile settings.

9 minutes ago, fire508 said:

And on top of that, I went to make a new profile for the 400f/800 versions but when I try to select Profile specific checkbox. then hit the corresponding button, it populates the 400 profile.

If you select the profile check box and you are not prompted to select a profile or create a new one, this implies that you already have a profile assigned to that aircraft, which seems to contradict your earlier statement.

I think you should read the documentation to get a better understanding of how profiles work. If you still have issues after that, please attach your FSUIPC5/6.ini (you don't even say which version of FSUIPC you are using!).

John

8 minutes ago, fire508 said:

When I set up the 737 I changed the profile name to PMDG 737 for it to work across all a/c types (737s) and liveries. 

The Profile Name isn't relevant in this. You could call it "MyStuff" for all that matters. It's the list of aircraft following the [Profile.MyStuff] (or whatever) section heading which matters. You probably replaced the list with something like 1=PMDG 737  or better "737NGX" to encompassed all varieties.

12 minutes ago, fire508 said:

I can only get the 747 to work across all the 747-400 liveries but  none of the  400F and 800 versions. 

As you must have done for the 737, you need to edit the list for the 747 profile to encompass all of the 747 models you want. just just parts of the names which appear in all.

13 minutes ago, fire508 said:

The only one that seems to work across all aircraft types is the Taxi light.

The taxi light is probably programmed in the no-profile default settings.

PS I see John has also replied with more technical advice for you.

Pete

44 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

Please read the section User profiles for all control settings in the FSUIPC User Guide.

I have read this.

I did and it is/  My original set up for the 737-800 was in the United paint and would only work for the -800 variants.  I had to change the profile name in the .ini to PMDG 737 to work across all variants.

Then check your profile settings.

Is this in the .ini?  Can not find it in the userguide.

If you select the profile check box and you are not prompted to select a profile or create a new one, this implies that you already have a profile assigned to that aircraft, which seems to contradict your earlier statement.

I am sorry but this is incorrect.  I cleared out the profile and made a few (taxi and rwy lights) micros to switches for the -400f.  They worked on the 400f only not the -400.  Did vice versa 400 only worked on the 400 not the -400f.  I had to go into the profile and change the function for each button for the different variants.  Basically I had to make 2 profile button imputes and switch them within fsuipc (button config) if I want to fly the different variants.  PMDG must have them logged different between variants.   Example the R Rwy light on/off switch in the PMG 747-400 is the autoignition button on the 747-400f.  I noticed this during the last test.  

Btw v6.0.11

Edited by fire508

14 minutes ago, fire508 said:

Is this in the .ini?  Can not find it in the userguide.

Yes, of course. All your settings are saved in the ini.

15 minutes ago, fire508 said:

I am sorry but this is incorrect.

I'm sorry, but it is. If you select the profile check box and do not see the menu with  options 'Cancel', 'New...', 'New, based on...' and your existing profile names, then this implies that a profile is already assigned to that aircraft, and the profile name will be displayed in the FSUIPC options title bar.

I really can't help you unless you show me your FSUIPC6.ini.

I'll be away until Monday (most probably) now.

John

43 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

I'm sorry, but it is. If you select the profile check box and do not see the menu with  options 'Cancel', 'New...', 'New, based on...' and your existing profile names, then this implies that a profile is already assigned to that aircraft, and the profile name will be displayed in the FSUIPC options title bar.

Here is the updated .ini. And I am sorry you are incorrect. *unless I am missing something*.  Just profiled the 777.  All the buttons work across the variants of -200 and 77F: However, all the actions work except the buttons I programed (specific profile) for the landing lights.  Only those are the ones that do not operate on the 77w.  And yes if I go to the button menu in fsuipc and click profile specific, hit the switch on my x56 that I have programmed for the nose landing light (that does operate the light on the 77L and 77F) it populates as the 777 profile specific button, but it does not operate it on the 77W.  Same for the L/R landing lights.  All other programmed operations work that are profile specific.  So I do believe we are both correct its just that the 77W has different PMDG logged parameters for the switch and the 74f-748 are different then the -400.  Even thought the buttons shows it assigned to a certain switch *via making macros* it is in PMDG logs different.

FSUIPC6.ini

Edited by fire508

2 hours ago, fire508 said:

However I can only get the 747 to work across all the 747-400 liveries but  none of the  400F and 800 versions.

It won't work for the 800 version as you have the profile set-up for {PMDG 747-400 only:

[Profile.PMDG 747]
1=PMDG 747-400

change to:
[Profile.PMDG 747]
1=PMDG 747
It should have matched your 400f though, which is strange...

2 hours ago, fire508 said:

I try to select Profile specific checkbox. then hit the corresponding button

What do you actually mean by this? As I have said, when you check the profile specific box, if a profile is defined for that aircraft, it will load the profile and show the name in the dialog title. If there is no current profile defined, then you should see a menu I have previously described. If this is not the case, then tell me what happens .

If you are using mouse macros, its quite possible that they will not work between different variants if the rectangle codes for the screen area are different. If thats the case, you will need separate profiles and mouse macros.
You can also activate logging for events in fsuipc to check what fsuipc logs.

Ok. I have finally figured it out. PMDG did not code/log the same switch entries across the different variants for the most part (77W,74F,748) like they did with the 737 version (600-700-800-900).  Some of the switches are coded different such that even though it populates as the same profile (ex 77W vs 77L) some of the switches do now work with the profile.  I ended up having to make 2 different switches do the same thing across different variants (ex 77W landing lights are toggle 2/3/4 up on the x56 throttle while on the 77l variant they are SW2/4/6).  Seems to be a pmdg issue.

3 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

What do you actually mean by this? As I have said, when you check the profile specific box, if a profile is defined for that aircraft, it will load the profile and show the name in the dialog title. If there is no current profile defined, then you should see a menu I have previously described. If this is not the case, then tell me what happens .

I mean I hit the profile specific checkbox then hit the corresponding button on my x56 and it shows its the(example)747-400 landing light, but I am in the 747-400f

32 minutes ago, John Dowson said:

change to:
[Profile.PMDG 747]
1=PMDG 747
It should have matched your 400f though, which is strange..

I had already deleted this entry to try to find a solution.  But I thought this as well.

I did my 777 profile is the same layout as the 747 you stated above:

[Profile.PMDG 777]
1=PMDG 777
 And it has the same issue between the 777-300 and the 777-200/77F.  Buttons worked correctly on the 77F/-200/-300 except 3 (landing lights) did not on the -300.  I have found a work around for now unless you have another solution I could test.

EDIT: did a quick test on the 747-400.  Landing lights work on the -400 version, but does not work on the corresponding -800 or 400F.

[Profile.PMDG 747]
1=PMDG 747

Will have to use work around.  My SW6 switch on the x56 is profiled for the Right Runway light on the 747-400, but the same switch turns on the AutoStart in the overhead on the -400f.  It appears to me its a code issue somewhere on the PMDG side

3 hours ago, fire508 said:

I had to change the profile name in the .ini to PMDG 737 to work across all variants.

Sorry, but that could not have been the solution as the profile name (the name in the [Profile.name] line is any arbitrary name you care to choose. or instance many folks use names like "Turboprops", "Props" etc.

The aircraft in a Profile are those listed after that line, and can be anything. However, a smaller section from the whole name, like just PMDG, listed there would select ALL aircraft with PMDG in the name.

You need to be sure the aircraft you want included in a profile does actually have the exact part you list there in its name. The easiest way to get things right every time is simply to assign the profile the first time you load a variant. Then you can later edit the INI file [Profile.name] section to replace the list, or as much as you wish, with a common part of all of them but a sufficient part for it not to be confused with others you don't want included in that profile.

If you are unsure or don't really understand this, as it seems, just stick to the easy way of assigning a profile the first time you load an aircraft. That was the original way and still works fine.

Pete

I understand where you are coming from and I have just been naming the profile the same as the the corresponding number beneath it and shortening the name.  

[Profile.PMDG 777]
1=PMDG 777

For some reason the 77W all the switches work, the same as the switches on the 77-200 an  77f (10+) expect for the 3 landing lights (nose/r wing/l wing) since they do not operate those lights on the 777-300.  I had to map open switches for just those 3.

I am now working on the 747 and the same issue between the 400 and 400f varant.  Only the taxiway lights work across them.  The switch for the R runway light works that specific function on the -400 but on the 400F it turns on auotignition.

I do not know what more to say or explain.  I am pretty sure it is not your (fsuipc) code issue.  I believe PMDG coded the switches different between the aircraft variants.  It is just that the 737 is their newest product and they used the same code across all of the panels.

Ok after making profiles for the CS 757, CS 767, QW 787, PMDG 737 (600-900), PMDG 777 (200/77F/77W), and the PMDG747 (400/400F/800/800F) I can confirm it is an issue with the way PMDG is coding/wording their switches on the 777 and 747.  I had no issues with the any other aircraft expect those 2 stated above.  After over a days worth of trail and error I do believe I can safely say I have gotten this figured out.  I can live with having to go back to mouse clicks on the non 400f variants (since the 747 is mostly cargo now and that will be the variant I will fly most out of them). 

Thank you for the quick responses.

p.s.  I will try any other suggestions that do not involve having to redo all my profiles!  LOL

10 hours ago, fire508 said:

p.s.  I will try any other suggestions that do not involve having to redo all my profiles!  LOL

You can create a new profile based upon an existing  profile, and then just modify any assignments that need changing for that aircraft.

13 hours ago, fire508 said:

I mean I hit the profile specific checkbox then hit the corresponding button on my x56 and it shows its the(example)747-400 landing light, but I am in the 747-400f

Then as you did not get a menu asking for the profile selection (new, new based, on, etc) then that means that the loaded aircraft has already been assigned a profile, that profile name will appear in the FSUIPC options title bar. As the substring match assigned to your PMDG 747 profile is/was  'PMDG 747-400', then this will be loaded for both the 747-400 and the 747-400f. But again, this contradicts what you have previously said.

I think you are failing to understand how profiles work, and the distinction between axis profiles and buttons/key assignments. When you have an aircraft assigned to a profile, in the axis assignments you will automatically see the profile as only the profile axis assignments are used. However, with button and key assignments, general assignments are used and then update (and replaced if necessary) by the profile specific assignments. This is why when you go into the button or key assignments panel, no profile is selected, and so if you add/modify  or review any assignments, this will apply to the  general profile (i.e. all aircraft). However, if you check the profile specific checkbox, the buttons/keys for that profile are loaded and then any updates made will apply to the profile specific assignments. This allows you to make both general and profile specific key and button assignments when an aircraft is already in a profile.

John

5 hours ago, John Dowson said:

Then as you did not get a menu asking for the profile selection (new, new based, on, etc) then that means that the loaded aircraft has already been assigned a profile, that profile name will appear in the FSUIPC options title bar. As the substring match assigned to your PMDG 747 profile is/was  'PMDG 747-400', then this will be loaded for both the 747-400 and the 747-400f. But again, this contradicts what you have previously said.

The above is correct except for the last sentence....I do under stand what you are saying but I just don't know how much more I can explain it to you.  If I load the 747-400 and make a specific profile 

[Profile.747]
1=PMDG 747

for (example) switch 6  to control the left runway light.  It will operate the Left Runway light in all 747-400.  But If I restart the sim and load into a 747-400F the same switch operates the autoignition.  When I go to "profile specific checkbox" it auto populates that switch as the Left Runway Light on the  a 747- (and yes it says that on top left "aka will not give me the option to make a new profile")  even though Im in the 400F..  

Attached is my.ini for further prof.  If you would like me to make a video I can

It appears we are going in circles.

FSUIPC6.ini

But in the 747-400F, the switch is activating the same macro. Therefore it is the macro that is behaving differently in the different aircraft, no? And, if its a mouse macro, its most probably due to the fact that the rectangle Ids have changed. So you will need to make a new macro for that series of aircraft.

18 hours ago, fire508 said:

When I go to "profile specific checkbox" it auto populates that switch as the Left Runway Light on the  a 747- (and yes it says that on top left "aka will not give me the option to make a new profile")  even though Im in the 400F.. 

Thats because the 400F is already assigned to a profile, as I have tried to explain many times. If you want to create a new profile for that file, you will have to remove it from the existing profile first. To do this, you need to change this line:
     1=PMDG 747
so that it sub-matches ONLY those aircraft you wish to use for that profile. As you are extending this, you will probably want to add multiple entries to cover different liveries.

You can always just give the full tile of each aircraft if you are finding the substring match difficult, or look into changing the ini parameter
    ShortAircraftNameOk=Substring
to something that works for you.

But the profile system is working as expected. You just need to understand how profiles are assigned, re-organise your profile assignments to remove the ones that don't currently work in the profiles they are in, then create a new profile based on the existing profile that mostly works, and then re-do the assignments/macros that need changing.

John